C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have to be the worst welder!!!!

Old 02-03-2003, 11:02 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default I have to be the worst welder!!!!

Tried to weld the new shifter gate on the 700R4 kit tonight and it never would stick. :mad :confused: :crazy: I guess I need to go back to welding 101 and take a refresher class. I did get the parking brake bracket relocated, but it looks like a dirt dobbler nest. :D
Old 02-04-2003, 03:25 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: I have to be the worst welder!!!! (Budman78)

What are you using for a welder? What type, (MIG, TIG, stick, etc.) how many volts, how many max amps? And is the shifter gate steel? Is that the part of the shifter that is under the center console???? Welding is part of my job, and I have had some formal training in welding, so i may be able to offer you some advice. Mostly it's just a practice thing. Get some scrap pieces and work on it a little bit and you'll have it in no time. I mean hey, if you can install that TPI into your vette, you can learn to weld in no time. :D

-Justin :cheers:
Old 02-04-2003, 09:21 AM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: I have to be the worst welder!!!! (Dalannex)

A little cheapo Flux wire MIG, but it seems to weld pretty good. My problem was welding through a hole where the bolt is suppose to be. I thought I could just zap it and be done. Looks like I would need to burn it more which will require alot more finish grinding.
Old 02-04-2003, 12:55 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: I have to be the worst welder!!!! (Budman78)

I happen to have one of those little flux core wire jobs. It works alright, but if it had gas it would make a world of difference. Are you welding through the hole, welding something behind a first plate by sticking the tip of the gun through a hole? If so, and you are having sticking problems you're probably right, more heat would do the trick. It would be hard to get the proper electrode angle doing that as well, which would be another thing that would require more heat.
Old 02-04-2003, 01:41 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: I have to be the worst welder!!!! (Dalannex)

If you can't enlarge the hole, then put a taper on it with a countersink in the drill.
This will allow better access through the hole, and a nicer edge to weld to.
Hope this helps (and I understand what you are welding). :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To I have to be the worst welder!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I have to be the worst welder!!!!