C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio Installation help

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 09:09 PM
gmcclurg
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Installation help

I want to install a radio with CD player in the dash of a 77. I know I have to cut the bezel, but my question is - is there enough room to install a radio that is about 11" deep (front to back)? I have not removed the original radio yet, so I don't know what is back there.
Thanks
Old 02-03-2003, 09:12 PM
77Dream
Drifting

Default Re: Radio Installation help (gmcclurg)

It should fit just fine, I just got through taking out the aftermarket stereo (standard size) in my 77.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:39 PM
cchristo
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It'll fit.
A couple things to think about though, when you do it. You end up loosing a lot of supporting plastic when you cut and file the opening for the DIN system. The remaining plastic is pretty thin and is subject to crack if you don't properly support the stereo from the rear.
Don't take a shortcut here, use a support bracket.
Also, a good idea if you don't mind a little extra work (and if you do, you probably wouldn't own this car! :cheers: ) is to cut some thin (~1/32", ~1/16" or whatever) aluminum or steel sheet to use as a reinforcing backing plate.
After you cut your bezel, and the stereo fits, cut the sheet to fit the back of the bezel and epoxy it to the back of the bezel. These two things should keep the bezel from cracking.
Good luck and enjoy the tunes
Chris

[Modified by cchristo, 2:46 AM 2/4/2003]
Old 02-04-2003, 05:47 AM
gmcclurg
Racer

Default Re: Radio Installation help (cchristo)

Thanks for the tips.
Gil :yesnod:
Old 02-04-2003, 06:24 AM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

It'll fit.
A couple things to think about though, when you do it. You end up loosing a lot of supporting plastic when you cut and file the opening for the DIN system. The remaining plastic is pretty thin and is subject to crack if you don't properly support the stereo from the rear.
Don't take a shortcut here, use a support bracket.
I was thinking of installing a CD player in my '73, is this something that a stereo shop would know to do or should I just do the job myself? Thanks.
Old 02-04-2003, 10:20 AM
cchristo
Pro

Default Re: Radio Installation help (Mystery Machine)

I don't know how much different your 73 is from my 80 but I wouldn't think it's much. DIY or shop? It all depends on whats more important to you....time or money! Installing a stereo is relatively easy. The biggest hurdle is deciding to cut the dash or not. I did, no regrets. I'm never going for NCRS anyway.
Measure twice and cut once.
If you need any more specific help, just ask. I'm no expert but I have installed a few in my time.

Oh, and by the way, I doubt any stereo shop will take the time to cut a reinforcing piece for behind the console, unless you tell them to, and PAY them for it.

Chris

[Modified by cchristo, 3:22 PM 2/4/2003]
Old 02-04-2003, 10:30 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Chris is correct.

:cheers:

Installed Kenwood eXcelon in mine. 77-82 console is similiar w/ plenty of room. 68-76 is metal, it has been done- do a search.
Old 02-04-2003, 12:06 PM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I agree with Chris, especially the rear support bracket. I was able to use the existing brace when I installed my Sony. Just had to do a little "rebending".

Good Luck :smash:
Old 02-04-2003, 05:57 PM
77Dream
Drifting

Default Re: Radio Installation help (Mystery Machine)

I was thinking of installing a CD player in my '73, is this something that a stereo shop would know to do or should I just do the job myself? Thanks.
Its pretty easy if you know what wires are for what. If your speaker wires aren't market then you will need to shoot the wires to find out what is + and - for each speaker. I would suggest that you run all new speaker wire just to avoid problems.

Other than that you just need a power, ground and antenna control wire (if you have power antenna)
Old 02-05-2003, 05:57 AM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

Default Re: Radio Installation help (77Dream)

Thanks guys. I was thinking about having a shop do it but after listening to you guys I think I'll try it myself and just take my time. :thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To Radio Installation help

Quick Reply: Radio Installation help