C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(on knees, begging) PLEASE, OH PLEASE, OH PLEASE, speed up the forum!

Old 02-03-2003, 06:56 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Default (on knees, begging) PLEASE, OH PLEASE, OH PLEASE, speed up the forum!

i know troy is working on the forum even as we speak but i just really need to vent my frustration. for those of us who still live in the 20th century (read dial up), the forum has become so painfully slow that i find myself not coming and spending as much time as i used to. :cry i miss all you guys! :sad:
i know they (you know who you 'they' are) said they're workinig on a way to make the toolbars and ads stay and only change the threads. is there any update on when that will happen? is there a way they can set the forum up so that text will appear before the pictures? i mean, crap, i hit a thread that had about four or five pics and i LITERALLY went into my kitchen, made a sandwich and came back and it was STILL loading! :banghead: it wouldn't be that bad if the text came down so i could read what the thread was about and determine if it was worth the wait for the pics to download.
:cry :cry :cry
Old 02-03-2003, 07:14 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: (on knees, begging) PLEASE, OH PLEASE, OH PLEASE, speed up the forum! (clutchdust)

I feel your pain. You can cut off all sig pics and other stuff and it may make it faster.
I am on cable and everything is just nearly instant when you click on it.
Old 02-03-2003, 07:18 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (on knees, begging) PLEASE, OH PLEASE, OH PLEASE, speed up the forum! (clutchdust)

As more and more graphics and animation and high res pictures are being used, the old dial up gets slower and slower. You can bet it won't get better. I couldn't begin to go back to dial up. It's a matter of data transmission speed and 56K just won't keep up with high tech multi add sites. Even the cable modem gets a little slow at times so I can imagine the frustration you have. :sleep:
Old 02-03-2003, 07:20 PM
Pete79L82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The problem is the size of pictures some guys are posting. The new forum software downsizes the pictures so you don't have to scroll, but it has to download the full size picture first.

I have seen some of the guys have signature pics in excess of 500kb. They show up small in their signature until you click on them, then they are bigger than 1280x768. Add the signature pictures on top of some larger pictures pertaining to the thread and it really kills us that can only get dial-up. Their are some threads that take over 5 minutes to load.

I don't think it is really the forum software problem, it is more of a need for some forum ediquette. Some of the guys need to take pity on us poor dial-uppers and downsize their pictures before they post them.
Old 02-04-2003, 02:15 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: (on knees, begging) PLEASE, OH PLEASE, OH PLEASE, speed up the forum! (Pete79L82)

33.6 here :cry

turn off sigs, and pics...then after the thread loads, you can right click in each pic and load them one at a time. its a little faster but still a pain...

You can also turn off avatars... but you should be caching all of these by now...

You might need to clean out your cache, and start over, the first few pages will be slow, but then they should speed up after you got most of the CF stuff cached again

It almost sounds like you still have the first new version of the zeroforum cached. They have upgraded it in the last month or so again...

hope this helps... :seeya
Old 02-04-2003, 07:04 AM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Default Re: (on knees, begging) PLEASE, OH PLEASE, OH PLEASE, speed up the forum! (Eddie 70)

I feel your pain. You can cut off all sig pics and other stuff and it may make it faster.
I am on cable and everything is just nearly instant when you click on it.
:iagree: cable rules...its like changing channels on your TV! :iagree:
Old 02-04-2003, 07:33 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: (on knees, begging) PLEASE, OH PLEASE, OH PLEASE, speed up the forum! (SIGNGUY)

I used to be on cable there for a couple of years....it got allways so slow it was not worth it anymore....THEN they jacked up the rates to 50 bux/month....and I dumped out on it....dialup now at a supposed 56k....

in reality, the adds and the little smiley things full of that damn java for our 'enjoyment' are taking up a LOT of time in the loading...many a time I respond fully and hit send while the silly things are stilll loading....

I love a touchpad mouse...and fine that damn java in there interferrs with the moust function...as i'ts java also, apparently...

GENE
Old 02-04-2003, 07:39 AM
Racer16k
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clutchdust is right! The forum has never been fast on dial-up, but it was MUCH faster before the new theme. Your sandwich story is right on. If more than 25 people have posted on a topic, I could easily go make a sandwich and maybe coffee too. Eliminating the pictures and signatures would definitely speed it up, but that would eliminate half the fun. That's not the answer. I know that as long as I have dial-up I will always have a slower connection. I'm ok with that, but the majority of the sites I visit are still pretty fast and the corvette forum is turning into the chevette forum.

Just my $.02

Sig not posted for speed :auto:
Old 02-04-2003, 09:13 AM
Harry74
Drifting

Default Re: (on knees, begging) PLEASE, OH PLEASE, OH PLEASE, speed up the forum! (Racer16k)

I'm on dial up also and quit coming around for about 6 months. But after turning everything off I now find it fast enough to be worth it to me. As they say, "Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?"

-harry
Old 02-04-2003, 09:20 AM
Fevre
Race Director

I surf at work where we have DSL and it cruises but have dial up at home and is painfully slow. :(
Old 02-04-2003, 09:26 AM
A2Shark
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: (on knees, begging) PLEASE, OH PLEASE, OH PLEASE, speed up the forum! (Harry74)

I have to repeat this plea on behalf of the Mac users on this forum. I can only get the forum to work with the latest version of Netscape. It doesn't work at all with Explorer. Accessing this forum on Netscape is painfully slow, even with my ethernet connection at work.

We were told weeks ago that the Mac problem would be fixed - how's it coming?

Brian
Old 02-04-2003, 09:31 AM
moosie982
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: (on knees, begging) PLEASE, OH PLEASE, OH PLEASE, speed up the forum! (Pete79L82)

[
I don't think it is really the forum software problem, it is more of a need for some forum ediquette. Some of the guys need to take pity on us poor dial-uppers and downsize their pictures before they post them.[/quote] :iagree: :yesnod: Peace to y'all anyway,,,,,,,,Moosie

[Modified by moosie982, 9:33 AM 2/4/2003]
Old 02-04-2003, 10:16 AM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: (on knees, begging) PLEASE, OH PLEASE, OH PLEASE, speed up the forum! (moosie982)

Aside from setting the personal prefs in CF to not download sigs, etc -

Your browser should have an options setting to turn off pictures and graphics.
Then, after the thread loads, you right click over a 'picture holder' and 'show picture'.

This is what I would do on any internet site until the almighty cable modem
made it to our teeny weeny town of 3500. Now, everyone is pissed at the cable company for charging $50/mo (seems to be the norm). The powers that
be in our town are looking into a multi town Co-op that will setup a high speed
network for their residents. They are talking about 100Mbit/s !!!
- just a thought for those who are active in changing the world around them.

:seeya
Old 02-04-2003, 10:19 AM
flood
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: (on knees, begging) PLEASE, OH PLEASE, OH PLEASE, speed up the forum! (moosie982)

I dont' think its the forum that needs sped up :auto:

Get notified of new replies

To (on knees, begging) PLEASE, OH PLEASE, OH PLEASE, speed up the forum!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: (on knees, begging) PLEASE, OH PLEASE, OH PLEASE, speed up the forum!