C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on door alignment. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 06:26 PM
dukvet76
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question on door alignment. Help!

Okay, so I've gotten one side of the body mounts removed and replaced. (Not me personally, I have to gratefully thank my body shop for obliging to do this for me). Well, to my dismay, what I was expecting to happen did not. I thought that it would line my doors up alot better than they did. I tool a couple of pictures of it so maybe you guys can give me some advice on fixing the problem.

Do I need to shim up the back, the front or what? This is really a pet peeve of mine, and I'd like to get this resolved once and for all. HELP!!!!!

[Modified by dukvet76, 6:27 PM 2/3/2003]
Old 02-03-2003, 09:09 PM
dukvet76
Pro

Default Re: Question on door alignment. Help! (dukvet76)

Anyone?
Old 02-03-2003, 10:17 PM
Doug2500
Instructor

Hi Rob

The big pics will easily kill a dial up connection, might want to consider using a link and/or smaller pics so more members can view your message.

My first reaction was, does this shop have much Corvette experience. Either your body was way off to begin with or they didn't put it back together right.

I'm not a body and fender expert, but if it were my car and the shop did this kind of work, I'd be very concerned, even upset that they would dare suggest the work was finished.

Do they now want to charge you more to line up the rest of the panels? Why wasn't that included in the original estimate? Were they surprised that the body mounts replacement changed the alignment? If they were surprised, how much experience do they really have?

Maybe fixing the other side will make a difference or make it worse. But you better find out if these guys know what they are doing, or if they are just learning on your car and are charging you by the hour for their education.
Old 02-03-2003, 10:34 PM
Roadster71
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

What's been done to the car other than the body mounts? Are you in the process of repainting the car? When I remounted the front clip on my car prior to paint, I had to re-shim the hinges and add fiberglass to the fender edges to make the seems acceptable.
Old 02-03-2003, 10:45 PM
dukvet76
Pro

Default Re: Question on door alignment. Help! (Doug2500)

Hi Rob

The big pics will easily kill a dial up connection, might want to consider using a link and/or smaller pics so more members can view your message.

My first reaction was, does this shop have much Corvette experience. Either your body was way off to begin with or they didn't put it back together right.

I'm not a body and fender expert, but if it were my car and the shop did this kind of work, I'd be very concerned, even upset that they would dare suggest the work was finished.

Do they now want to charge you more to line up the rest of the panels? Why wasn't that included in the original estimate? Were they surprised that the body mounts replacement changed the alignment? If they were surprised, how much experience do they really have?

Maybe fixing the other side will make a difference or make it worse. But you better find out if these guys know what they are doing, or if they are just learning on your car and are charging you by the hour for their education.
Actually these guys are fabulous. We've done as much research prior to removing/replacing the body mounts. When the car was originally primed, this did not show as much. They have alot of classic resto experience, and body mount replacement but not on a corvette. I trust their judgement and am sure that they will complete the job with great success. When I stopped in there tonight, I noticed the problem did not go away, and thought I'd bring it to the forum to see if anyone had a fix for this. They actually are working on a contra basis with me, so the cost is not an issue.
Old 02-03-2003, 10:47 PM
dukvet76
Pro

Default Re: Question on door alignment. Help! (Roadster71)

What's been done to the car other than the body mounts? Are you in the process of repainting the car? When I remounted the front clip on my car prior to paint, I had to re-shim the hinges and add fiberglass to the fender edges to make the seems acceptable.
The body on the car, done by the same shop who has the car now, was recently painted and is excellent. Did you glass the fenders or the doors? I wasn't anticipating having to get more work done and a repaint, but I might have to so that we can get this cleared up. I'm really just looking for some solutions and how others solved the problem.
Old 02-03-2003, 11:14 PM
Roadster71
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I had to glass the fenders because I was fixing a Buba repair by the previous owner. Before doing any glassing have the shop revisit everything they did. If it's worst now than it was before, then a mistake was made somewhere. There is a lot of room for adjusting by adding/taking shims and sliding the hinges, but by the pictures yours looks like its to far off.
Old 02-04-2003, 03:10 PM
dukvet76
Pro

Default Re: Question on door alignment. Help! (Roadster71)

ttt

Get notified of new replies

To Question on door alignment. Help!

Quick Reply: Question on door alignment. Help!