C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant overflow reservoir

Old 02-03-2003, 03:32 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Coolant overflow reservoir

In a sealed cooling system, does it matter if the overflow reservoir is mounted lower than the radiator cap? The reservoir I am using is an aluminum cylinder, and will have a sealed cap, so it will be a sealed system and will be plumbed to the radoator with a -06 AN hose and fittings. I was thinking that this sealed system would create enough vacuum to pull coolant into the radiator, and push coolant back to the reservoir as the coolant volume expands and contracts with temperature.

Old 02-03-2003, 04:59 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: Coolant overflow reservoir (Monty)

It will work with the reservoir somewhat lower than the rad. It may not suck the same amount back in when cold, but that won't matter. Important thing is that all the air comes out, and that should still work with the reservoir in a lower position.

BTW, how come you can't use the stock location? Big turbo in the way? :cool:
Old 02-03-2003, 05:12 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Coolant overflow reservoir (zwede)

Thanks, that's what I was thinking too, that why I emphasized it would be a sealed system. My wife's BMW doesn't even have a cap on the radiator, just on the reservoir, but it is located high on the inner fender. I plan on mounting mine behind the front wheel well in the inner fender, down at the frame level.

The stock reservoir is plastic and would be about 1"-2" away from the right headers and downpipe. Probably not a good idea, so I bought one of those fabricated aluminum reservoir tanks. The tig welded aluminum sheetmetal goes well with the rest of the engine compartment. So honestly, as much an aesthetic decision as a preventative measure/requirement.

Get notified of new replies

To Coolant overflow reservoir

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coolant overflow reservoir