C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speakers: Is this too many??

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 01:00 PM
desi
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Speakers: Is this too many??

Putting 6 1/2" in the rear. Also bought 4" for the kick panel. Thinking of getting 4" for the dash as well. Is this too many speakers for the little cab in the vette. Has anyone done this before??

Also, the car originally had 4x6, how difficult is it to install round 4" ones in the kick panel and dash? Any do's or don'ts??

Thanks in advance. :cheers:
Old 02-03-2003, 01:03 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Default Re: Speakers: Is this too many?? (desi)

To me the music of a C3 is the sounds the car makes. So for my use the two stock type speakers in the top of the dash is more then enough. The raido is seldom if ever turned on. Just listen to the music of the car :D :D :yesnod: :yesnod:

tom...
Old 02-03-2003, 01:07 PM
desi
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Speakers: Is this too many?? (Tom73)

To me the music of a C3 is the sounds the car makes. So for my use the two stock type speakers in the top of the dash is more then enough. The raido is seldom if ever turned on. Just listen to the music of the car :D :D :yesnod: :yesnod:

tom...
:iagree:

Have to agree with you there. But I drive mine everyday (about 200+ miles a week!) so there are times when I could use some music :cheers:
Old 02-03-2003, 01:27 PM
Cajun99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the '75 I've got two 4x6 in the dash, two 4x6 in the kick panels plus two 6x9 and a 10" sub in back.

In the '99 I've got two 5.25s in the doors, two 6.5s behind the seats and three 10" subs facing the trunk.

Too many....nope. :lol:

[Modified by Cajun75, 12:32 PM 2/3/2003]
Old 02-03-2003, 01:29 PM
Metal Wulf
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

insted of getting 4" for the kicks and dash, you should just get one set of 5.25 compents. You can mount the midrange in the kick(yes it will fit), and the tweeter in the dash. It'll defenatly sound better. :thumbs:
Old 02-03-2003, 01:51 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

All the music I need in the hot rods is the engine. Normally no stereo.

Have done some experiments- 4" can be angled some in kick panels & will fit w/ minimal encroachment into the foot space. Tweeter could be there or dash. You do not want 2 sets of ft. or back.

Prefer 5 1/4 components. It seems to me that 5 1/4 low in the doors & tweets in the kick panels may be best.
Old 02-03-2003, 01:57 PM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Speakers: Is this too many?? (Metal_Wulf)

Notr really as the inside of the cabin is not know for its accoustics. I replaced the factory dash speakers with Infinity Kappa's and put the same in the kick panels in parallel with the dash. Then built an enclosure for 6x9's in the rear driven with an amp off the of the RCA o/p's from the replacement head unit. YOu bet I kept the org. factory unit which works fine. There have been great posts on building rear units.
Old 02-03-2003, 03:00 PM
Gotta Fix my '76
Instructor

Default Re: Speakers: Is this too many?? (bigvette1)

http://members.***.net/~mfouchi/vette/speakers/boxplans.htm

This site did a great job at posting what I would see as a great speaker plans that I will be doing in the next few weeks..

I just bought:
A New Head unit
200 Watt MTX Amp
4X6 Kappa Infinitys
6X9 Kappa Infinitys

and that should be enough, I will be installing this next weekend and hope to get some pictures...I think that should push enough sound for me...I'm more into Acoustics and vocals, so I won't need much bass, however you shouldn't have any problems finding a place for an amp and subwoofer if you choose to do so...

Above post is correct, there is alot of great info on this subject...Goto search and type in "Speaker Installation" and it'll pull up all sorts of other opinions (b/c everyone has one) and so on...Good luck and enjoy it.. :cheers:
Old 02-03-2003, 03:05 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a great stero system in my corvette but like others I almost never have it on. I am too much into the music of the motor.
I also have a really great system in the mustang but once again seldom have it on.
Picture of the mustang. Don't have any of the vette.
Old 02-03-2003, 03:08 PM
desi
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Speakers: Is this too many?? (Gotta Fix my '76)

Actually I was hoping to avoid amps and subs. Can someone explain what the difference is between components and regular speakers? I am not that fimiliar with stereo terms. I have bought 4" ones for the kick panel, but not for the dash. Can I use tweeters in the dash with these 4" in kick panel??
Also, what should I look for when buying tweeters? Normally what size is good? I am not looking for anything too loud or deep (bass)but rather good quality sound.

:cheers:
Old 02-03-2003, 03:09 PM
1Bad69
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Speakers: Is this too many?? (norvalwilhelm)

i would say the one's in the dash are overkill...there are sound field thingamere giggers that you can buy that give the illusion of speakers in the centre..i had one in my daytona and it was amazing...it actually sounded like there was a speaker in the centre dash...
Old 02-03-2003, 03:37 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Actually I was hoping to avoid amps and subs. Can someone explain what the difference is between components and regular speakers? I am not that fimiliar with stereo terms. I have bought 4" ones for the kick panel, but not for the dash. Can I use tweeters in the dash with these 4" in kick panel??
Also, what should I look for when buying tweeters? Normally what size is good? I am not looking for anything too loud or deep (bass)but rather good quality sound.

:cheers:
Components are separates w/ mid/woofer & tweeter w/ a crossover.
Plates split the diff.- 4x6 have a 4" & normally a dome tweeter.

Yes, you could use the 4s in the kick panels w/ tweeters in the dash. Look for 1/2"-1" domes. You want to be able to angle the tweeters.
Old 02-03-2003, 03:52 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: Speakers: Is this too many?? (Tom73)

tom...
:iagree: completely
Old 02-03-2003, 05:05 PM
desi
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Speakers: Is this too many?? (Ganey)

Thanks Ganey. This is exactly what one of the local stereo shops told me. I had no idea you were a stereo guru too :confused:

I am also going with your idea of 6 1/2" in the rear instead of 6x9 (like every one does). Car is in hybernation now, but once I finish the job, I will post results here.
Thanks Guys :cheers:
Old 02-04-2003, 10:40 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Thanks Ganey. This is exactly what one of the local stereo shops told me. I had no idea you were a stereo guru too :confused:

I am also going with your idea of 6 1/2" in the rear instead of 6x9 (like every one does). Car is in hybernation now, but once I finish the job, I will post results here.
Thanks Guys :cheers:
Sounds good.

My primary area of interest is cars & Performance! I know about stereo design & modified or tweaked (the audiophile term) my large floorstanding home speakers & the Corvette speakers (home components) & use my own special wires.

Since teens, if anyone I know wants to know about cars or stereo, they call me.

:cool:
Old 02-04-2003, 11:39 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Speakers: Is this too many?? (norvalwilhelm)

I have a great stero system in my corvette but like others I almost never have it on. I am too much into the music of the motor.
I also have a really great system in the mustang but once again seldom have it on.
Picture of the mustang. Don't have any of the vette.
Hey Norval, love that system. Are they Pioneer woofers?

I had something like that, only 2 RF woofers though ;)

as you, I invested a lot in it and hardly ever had the thing on. Kind of a waste of money it's all sitting in the basement now. I put a lot of work in it, the enclosure is a perfect fit in the rear, it has internal webbing, and I calculated the correct volume for the speakers, all the terminals are gold plated, the wires are very high quality and there's a huge 2F cap under the lid along with 2 Optima Gel batteries.

I also had a Hifonics 6.2 Gen X composet in the front (self made kickpanels and the tweeters in the old dash speaker frames, knocked out the coilk& magnet, removed the cone and placed the tweeter in the center)

The sound was awesome :)

Marck
Old 02-04-2003, 02:15 PM
Smitty's75
Drifting

Default Re: Speakers: Is this too many?? (Twin_Turbo)

Both of my speakers are outside under the doors!! Couldn't hear the radio if I wanted to!

Get notified of new replies

To Speakers: Is this too many??

Old 02-04-2003, 03:58 PM
Enkil
Instructor

I have two Eclipse 4x6's in the dash, I might move them somewhere else later, the plastic panels on top of the speakers rattle like crazy when I have the music cranked. In the back, I have a Cadence ~300-watt amp driving two JBL loud and clear 12" woofers with a peak output of 500 watts. I cut the box to fit almost perfectly, left it a little small to leave room for the amp on the side of the speakers. The subs face into the backs of the seats, and there's enough room in there to open up the battery/stowage compartments without moving the box. The box is short enough to allow the privacy strip thing to go over the top of it, and that pretty much stays closed now. I also have another piece of wood sticking out from the top of the amp to support the part of the privacy shade that isn't right on top of the box. Ttops still fit on top of that without a problem, and there's enough of a space between the top of the box and the window to allow for storage space. Honestly, though, if anybody bought their 'vette as a form of transporting a lot of stuff, they're crazy. Hell I have a hard enough time getting my crap and another person in the car at the same time.

The speakers sit far enough back under the shade to not be visable from the outside when the seats are up. I took out the two rear 6x9 panels entirely, the Eclipse has a tweeter built into them and they get good enough midrange as well.

Oh by the way, does anybody know if I can buy a dashboard that doesn't have the holes for the speakers? If I decided to move the 4x6"'s elsewhere I'd rather not have the holes and cover panels for the speakers anymore. Think it would look better.
Old 02-04-2003, 08:09 PM
FASGLAS
Race Director

CI 4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Default Re: Speakers: Is this too many?? (Smitty's75)

Both of my speakers are outside under the doors!! Couldn't hear the radio if I wanted to!
:iagree: :yesnod: Check what THIS guy has done!
http://users2.ev1.net/~jeffsclassics...e/interior.htm
Old 02-04-2003, 08:41 PM
JoeC427
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Speakers: Is this too many?? (Cajun75)

:iagree:

Quick Reply: Speakers: Is this too many??