C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hooker sidepipes- black painted

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 02:02 AM
Turbo-Jet
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hooker sidepipes- black painted

I think I prefer the look of the black finish versus chrome. I like the fact they are not as flashy as chrome, but still look good and of course, sound killer with a BBC. And not many opt for black so the exclusivity is desirable, and the price is easier to swallow.

How does this finish hold up compared to chrome or other types? Can they be refinished? Will the headers rust or time even if the car never sees rain?

Does anyone have some photos of these babies mounted?

:thumbs:
Old 02-03-2003, 08:08 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: hooker sidepipes- black painted (Turbo-Jet)

There was just a topic here with beautiful dark blue 74 with black side pipes I think they looked :cool:
Old 02-03-2003, 09:05 AM
Scott78
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can click on the sig pic and see a bigger version of how they look on my '78.

Scott
Old 02-03-2003, 10:09 AM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Cam:
You can see the black Hooker side pipes in my signature. I don't run mufflers in them and they sound awesome. I love the fact that if they start to look rough I can pull them off, rough them up with some fine grit sandpaper and spray them down with black 1200 degree paint. That and the fact that I have the whole orange and black color scheme going on :D.
Old 02-03-2003, 10:18 AM
Michael Tucker
Burning Brakes

you can also get them in black jet hot
Mike
Old 02-03-2003, 10:23 AM
James
Burning Brakes

Default Re: hooker sidepipes- black painted (Michael Tucker)

That is what I did. I had them ceramic coated and sprayed black with HPC's Hypercoat black finish.

[Modified by James, 9:24 AM 2/3/2003]
Old 02-03-2003, 11:23 AM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Default Re: hooker sidepipes- black painted (James)

The black paint they are delivered in, suck..It becomes white and peels off.
If you go with the black ones i would recommend that you get them sandblased and repainted with a really good heatproof paint.. :cheers: :cheers:
Old 02-03-2003, 01:26 PM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

cam,

Back when I had the small block in the '69 and was running the Hooker sidepipes, they were black and I liked them very much. Very discreet. I would paint them every couple of months while still on the car. Taping newpaper to the door and fender, or using a large piece of cardboard to shield the car. Steel wool was great to get the pipes pretty smooth prior to painting. I was often complimented by guys that thought they looked new. They would then go on and tell me how crappy they will look within the year. I was delighted to tell them that they had already been on for more than a year or two.

If I had it to do over again, I would have had Jet Hot apply their black coating. Por15 has a great etching primer coat that would have allowed me to paint over with the Black semi gloss VHT.

Chuck
Old 02-03-2003, 04:16 PM
corvettemaster
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: hooker sidepipes- black painted (BB wowbagger)

The black paint they are delivered in, suck..It becomes white and peels off.
If you go with the black ones i would recommend that you get them sandblased and repainted with a really good heatproof paint.. :cheers: :cheers:
The black paint they are delivered in is just to keep them from rusting until they get shipped to you. It's not a hi-temp paint. Summit gives the following warning when buying black hooker sidepipes:
"Painted headers are not surfaced with high temperature paint. The paint is intended for rust prevention in the box. It will burn off the header as it is used. This is standard throughout the industry"
Old 02-03-2003, 08:58 PM
java0881
Burning Brakes

i love the black painted sidepipes
Old 02-04-2003, 02:00 AM
Turbo-Jet
Melting Slicks

Default Re: hooker sidepipes- black painted (java0881)

i love the black painted sidepipes
damn, that pic just sold me! sweet :cool:
Old 02-04-2003, 02:06 AM
Turbo-Jet
Melting Slicks

Default Re: hooker sidepipes- black painted (Chuck Harmon)

cam,

Back when I had the small block in the '69 and was running the Hooker sidepipes, they were black and I liked them very much. Very discreet. I would paint them every couple of months while still on the car. Taping newpaper to the door and fender, or using a large piece of cardboard to shield the car. Steel wool was great to get the pipes pretty smooth prior to painting. I was often complimented by guys that thought they looked new. They would then go on and tell me how crappy they will look within the year. I was delighted to tell them that they had already been on for more than a year or two.

If I had it to do over again, I would have had Jet Hot apply their black coating. Por15 has a great etching primer coat that would have allowed me to paint over with the Black semi gloss VHT.

Chuck
Thanks for the ideas guys!

Does anyone have further info on this Jet-hot 'black'?

What is the life expectancy of a high quality paint such as VHT? I once used their cast iron spray on my stock manifolds and they are just now showing a bit of discoloring after 3+ years. Would the header material be less susceptible to corrosion attack versus cast iron? What about from the inside?

:cheers:

[Modified by Turbo-Jet, 11:06 PM 2/3/2003]
Old 02-04-2003, 02:12 AM
Guru_4_hire
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

I was thinking about getting the ceramic coated ones but the black ones look pretty cool too
Old 02-04-2003, 08:14 AM
Michael Tucker
Burning Brakes

hey jet and guru,
i am trying to get a group purchase going on the hooker headers and sidepipes in another thread

"The best
price I can offer for the same set up is $1051.40 to the door. All the
prices include the headers,sidepipes fully coated in&out with the
sterling silver finish and muffler inserts. If someone doesn't want the
inserts ,take $110 off the price."

that makes it 941.40 for me. i dont know if they will do it in black but i will ask them in a few
check out my thread for updates
Mike

edit:
At the same time, they retard thermal fatigue and protect metallic substrates from oxidation and corrosion more effectively than any other commercially available coating. In salt-spray tests designed to accelerate rusting, for example, JET-HOT protects steel over 140 times longer than high-temperature paint, more than 14 times longer than chrome and more than 5 times longer than first-generation metallic-ceramic coatings. (See "Corrosion Comparison" below.)

BEST GUARANTEE—JET-HOT backs its coatings and workmanship with the most comprehensive guarantee in the industry, including lifetime rust-through protection on new headers.

[Modified by Michael Tucker, 8:23 AM 2/4/2003]
Old 02-04-2003, 11:23 AM
Michael Tucker
Burning Brakes

i just got an answer normal price is $20 more for black but they will only charge $12 with the GP
Mike
Old 02-04-2003, 08:26 PM
Stinger66
Instructor

I have been using the black hookers for 17 years now,, basically for the same reasons you mentioned... Im not after the flashy chrome look... I have removed them 5 times for glassbeading and repaint while my engines were being replaced.. they still look like new..I have replaced the insert mufflers each time as well... Good Luck :steering:
Old 02-04-2003, 09:58 PM
Turbo-Jet
Melting Slicks

Default Re: hooker sidepipes- black painted (Stinger66)

I have been using the black hookers for 17 years now,, basically for the same reasons you mentioned... Im not after the flashy chrome look... I have removed them 5 times for glassbeading and repaint while my engines were being replaced.. they still look like new..I have replaced the insert mufflers each time as well... Good Luck :steering:
any photos?

Michael: thanks for the idea, but if I go this route, it will not be until summer.

Get notified of new replies

To hooker sidepipes- black painted

Quick Reply: hooker sidepipes- black painted