C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever install/rate the Mid-America Undercar Chambered Exhaust System?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2003, 10:32 AM
73STNGR
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone ever install/rate the Mid-America Undercar Chambered Exhaust System?

I am thinking about ordering one of these kits. Just wanted to know what the experienced people in this area have to say about this kit, the sound of the kit, etc.
Old 02-02-2003, 11:32 AM
Racer16k
Pro

Default Re: Anyone ever install/rate the Mid-America Undercar Chambered Exhaust System? (73STNGR)

I bought the 2.5" header version for my 73. It's the sound I wanted. Sounds like side pipes or at least like a early 70's hotrod. I don't think it's too loud and I've driven it on several longer trips. The wife doesn't complain about it.
Old 02-02-2003, 02:58 PM
J75
Racer

Default Re: Anyone ever install/rate the Mid-America Undercar Chambered Exhaust System? (73STNGR)

Installed one on my 75.Sounded good but the reverberating noise inside the car at certain speeds was not to my likeing.Went to OEM sidepipes,much happier.
Old 02-02-2003, 03:25 PM
69stingray
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Anyone ever install/rate the Mid-America Undercar Chambered Exhaust System? (J75)

Installed one on my 75.Sounded good but the reverberating noise inside the car at certain speeds was not to my likeing.Went to OEM sidepipes,much happier.
This may be a dumb question, but how does the interior noise differ between the undercar system and true sidepipes?

How well do the chambered Exhaust flow compared to a regular exhaust with flowmasters?
Old 02-02-2003, 03:33 PM
Corz
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Anyone ever install/rate the Mid-America Undercar Chambered Exhaust System? (69stingray)

I've got them. header back 2.5".. :reddevil my little 327 never sounded so deep. everyone mistakes it for a big block.

at the end of the pipes its about 90db at idle and cruising speed its 120db right at the tips. i would assume its around 75db in the car at idle and 90 at cruisin speed
Old 02-02-2003, 03:36 PM
Harry74
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a set of MAD chambered 2.5" undercar pipes on my '74. I love the deep roar of these pipes, but they do garner a lot of attention, sometimes more then I'd like.

I also had problems with the resonance inside the car at certain speeds. I added a set of resonator tips on the ends and that made a world of difference. They are just as loud as ever, but do not seem to set up the same harmonics. Still, every time I drive the car for more then a hour I think about changing over to a set of turbos instead.

My understanding of the flow on these pipes is that they are not as good as the newer turbo style mufflers, but I think you need on heck of a fine tuned motor to tell the difference.

After a few years on my car the fit and finish still look good.

-harry
Old 02-02-2003, 04:57 PM
J75
Racer

Default Re: Anyone ever install/rate the Mid-America Undercar Chambered Exhaust System? (69stingray)

The best way I can discribe the reverberating noise is being inside a drum with a constant deep wa-wa-wa and really deep noise at low speed when engine is under load and this was with total inside insulation.The sidepipes being on the outside do not have this rumbling sound inside the car.Maybe because the entire muffling chamber is outside?The only thing I get with the sidepipes is a little more exhaust smell when stopped.
Old 02-02-2003, 06:24 PM
Racer16k
Pro

Default Re: Anyone ever install/rate the Mid-America Undercar Chambered Exhaust System? (J75)

I must be the lucky one. I didn't have any resonance or anything like that. I guess I should knock on wood. The exhaust smell is why I didn't go with sidepipes. Love the looks, but my sidepipe experience told me no. I would love to hear my car with Flowmasters.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:24 AM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: Anyone ever install/rate the Mid-America Undercar Chambered Exhaust System? (Racer16k)

I really like the sound of my chambered exhaust. I can still listen to the stock radio and have a conversation while cruising, but when you hit the throttle, all hell breaks loose :reddevil
Old 02-03-2003, 10:10 AM
Sleestak
Team Owner

Default Re: Anyone ever install/rate the Mid-America Undercar Chambered Exhaust System? (Stewart's74)

I had the MAD 2.5" undercar kit in my car for about a year before I pulled it out and had it replaced with a stock style kit. I thought it sounded :cool: but was just a little too loud for me on long trips. Anything over an hour with the tops out had my ears ringing after getting out of the car. That and my car is a daily driver that gets started up at around 4:30 AM. My neighbors never said anything but I'm sure they weren't too impressed. :lol:
If my car was an occaisonal cruiser that didn't see as much road time I probably would have left the chambered kit in there.
Old 02-03-2003, 10:36 AM
Geoff1340
Instructor

I've had them on my 77 for over 4 years now. Installation was simple and I LOVE the sound. Last year re-carpeted and over insulated the cabin, big difference.... :D
Old 02-03-2003, 10:43 AM
DaddyO
Racer

Default Re: Anyone ever install/rate the Mid-America Undercar Chambered Exhaust System? (Vfastboy 73)

How hard is it for the novice home mechanic to install?
Old 02-03-2003, 01:04 PM
Harry74
Drifting

Default Re: Anyone ever install/rate the Mid-America Undercar Chambered Exhaust System? (DaddyO)

DaddyO,

A torch makes removing the old one easier. Installing the new one is a matter of line it up and tighten the bolts! Really very straight forward. The only problem area can be removing the old manifold to exhaust pipe bolts. I installed headers when I put mine in so that was not an issue.

-harry
Old 02-03-2003, 04:45 PM
no_radio
Drifting

Default Re: Anyone ever install/rate the Mid-America Undercar Chambered Exhaust System? (Harry74)

I installed the MAD Vette system on my '74 with Hooker Super Comp headers. It was REALLY loud inside the car, backfired on deceleration, and sounded like cheap glass packs. I took it to a local shop and had an H-pipe installed, it made a world of difference. The internal resonance is pretty much gone, and it has a smoother more mellow sound but still with plenty of bass and loudness. The backfiring is mostly gone.
It sounds like a NASCAR under WOT, I love it!
The only problem is it hangs pretty low in the back, I have small diameter tires so it's worse on my car than a stocker.
Jeff

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone ever install/rate the Mid-America Undercar Chambered Exhaust System?

Quick Reply: Anyone ever install/rate the Mid-America Undercar Chambered Exhaust System?