C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still feeling trapped

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2003, 10:44 PM
HcDave1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still feeling trapped

its another topic of smog!! i know some of you are getting sick of talking about this i just want to get it all right. I keep looking at parts and complete engines and people tell me its going to have problems getting it smogged.... what can i buy for.....

headers
exaust
heads
block

if anyone has a moded car that still needs smog can give me some great info on this because everytime i get some money or an idea i seem to be backed into a corner with the laws of CA. Its really getting on my nerves that a civic can do a engine swap that doubles the cars hp but if i want to drop headers on i cant even do that.

what can be done and mabey some parts site anything...

im down to the point where in just going to build up a nice 350 with what i want on it and drop it in when i get it smoged and then swap it back for the stocker when i gotta re do it. :jester

ive been looking through summit racing a pace performace and everything i see i want i cant have it :(

[Modified by HcDave1, 3:45 AM 2/2/2003]
Old 02-01-2003, 11:27 PM
rainman69
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Still feeling trapped (HcDave1)

Shouldn't the '78 be hitting 25 years old this year? That would exempt it from smog in most states, but I don't know about the People's Rebublic of California.
Old 02-02-2003, 01:10 AM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Dave. I feel your pain (that's why I have a pre-smog car :)). There are CA legal versions of those items that you mentioned, though the selection is more limited. If you're looking to build a real bad butt car you'll be out of luck but you can still add significant power and stay legal. You'll pay a little extra for some components but they are available. Most guys don't want an engine that is so radical that it wouldn't pass a smog test just because they aren't willing to give up drivability.

As long as the engine is in good tune and the original (or equivalent) emission control pieces are present, you shouldn't have a problem passing inspection even with some mods. Typically, a stock engine in good condition and tune will be well under the legal limit so there's a lot of room for power increasing mods without risk of flunking. They'll do a visual inspection before they run the actual test with exhaust sensors. CA legal components will come with stickers that are supposed to be installed in the engine compartment but most guys just keep them in the glove box. Savvy inspectors know that these stickers might be "loaners" but they are online with C.A.R.B. and they can easilly determine that an EO that's presented for a non-stock intake manifold is actually for a Civic header (that you borrowed from your brother in law). Keep in mind that these tests can not identify internal mods such as camming or compression changes that don't cause readings beyond allowable limits. While a big cam might get you flunked, don't be afraid to go a notch or two past those wimpy things that are C.A.R.B approved.
Old 02-02-2003, 02:37 AM
HcDave1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Still feeling trapped (Vetterodder)

well thanks, in CA the car needs to be 30 years for no smog

ill keep looking into beefing up the car.
Old 02-02-2003, 07:01 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Connecticut pulled that on me 23 years ago,and after I'd already modified the hell out of a new car. Had to spend a grand to get it back to where it would pass the inspection. Then I sold it and baught a 67 Firebird with absolutely no emissions on it. I suggest you look for a 70 Vette, or move out of California. :yesnod:
Old 02-02-2003, 07:12 PM
Markm10431
Omega Aficianado

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 163 Likes on 68 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09,'13, '14

Been talking to my ex wife.. she wants me to move back to "try again".. I flat out told her no, because I'd have to give up my vette. she wants to "try again" she can mover her butt out here
Old 02-02-2003, 08:12 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 511 Likes on 311 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Other than registering it in Navada, I 'd say just be careful and consult some engine builders in your area. Even though this may help, it doesn't do any good since California changes it's emisions laws every two years or so. I can't understand what the H(*& the politcos out there use for brains.

Get notified of new replies

To Still feeling trapped

Quick Reply: Still feeling trapped