C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I thought I knew what I was doing... Wrong!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2003, 09:23 PM
jerryjfunk
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I thought I knew what I was doing... Wrong!

Alright. I have my .40 over 350 block stroked to 385, forged pistons, forged rods, steel crank. Did it all myself, with the guidance of my dad. My plan was to save up $1,300 (now I'm there) and buy a set of AFR 195cc heads.

But I didn't realize that turbos arn't really out of my price range. Apparently I can get a twin turbo set up for about $1,200? The thing is, I don't know much about turbos. Are there a lot of hidden costs that I'm not seeing? And are they good for the street? If they can be used easily enough and are about as much as AFRs, I'd consider doing that and then hand porting my stock heads and using them until I can afford better heads.

Also, what are the advantages to going fuel injected, roughly how much does it cost, and how difficult is it to set up?

I'm so confused now. :(

Thanks,
Jerry
Old 02-02-2003, 01:27 AM
RoyArms
Racer

Default Re: I thought I knew what I was doing... Wrong! (jerryjfunk)

Don't ya hate it when that happens in the middle of a project? :smash: :crazy:
Old 02-02-2003, 01:33 AM
Chris Fowler
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'10

Pretty sure that there are a lot of hidden costs for turbos...Monty might be able to answer that better, though...
Old 02-02-2003, 01:44 AM
Shock
Advanced

Cruise-In III Veteran

Well...depending on your budget it is doable. There are a lot of expenses that go into a twin turbo setup and you could easily kill your brand new engine in about 2 seconds if not setup correctly. You will need a good aftermarket fuel injection system as well as maps to get it setup OK. And of course, your bottom end needs to be very stout. 4 bolt mains (splayed if possible) and the best rods you can get. Forged pistons at around 8-1 compression would work well. O ring the block and heads, and I think I would use cylinder head studs.

Mike
Old 02-02-2003, 02:01 AM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Put the money into the heads and don't look back. I suspect that the costs you have been given are for a pair of rebuilt turbos only. Besides the items that Shock mentioned, you'll also be paying some serious $$ for custom made headers. You should also consider the substantial mods that will be needed to the drivetrain in order to handle that much power. I'm no expert on turbo Chevies but I'd expect a proper application to cost several times that of a set of AFR's.
Old 02-02-2003, 04:55 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Default Re: I thought I knew what I was doing... Wrong! (Vetterodder)

Put the money into the heads and don't look back. I suspect that the costs you have been given are for a pair of rebuilt turbos only. Besides the items that Shock mentioned, you'll also be paying some serious $$ for custom made headers. You should also consider the substantial mods that will be needed to the drivetrain in order to handle that much power. I'm no expert on turbo Chevies but I'd expect a proper application to cost several times that of a set of AFR's.
Amen to that! You'd be looking at a BIG project vs. a simple bolt on that will give you excellent results, no sweat.
Old 02-02-2003, 06:21 PM
jerryjfunk
Melting Slicks

Default Re: I thought I knew what I was doing... Wrong! (Les)

Yeah, you guys are probably right. If I tried to do this right now I'd end up spending too much, and most likely never finishing. I still have a lot to do... :( I'll get the AFRs. Thanks for the input!

Jerry
Old 02-03-2003, 08:38 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Contact Monty, Twin_Turbo or StingrayCrazy for the TT questions. :yesnod: I'm sure they'll provide you all the info you'll need :cheers:
Old 02-03-2003, 08:53 AM
aharte
Drifting

This might be relevant:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...401740383&rd=1

I somehow doubt that's all that's needed though. Maybe someone else knows about this kit.
Old 02-03-2003, 12:04 PM
jerryjfunk
Melting Slicks

Default Re: I thought I knew what I was doing... Wrong! (aharte)

Hm... No picture, one feedback, and only $18 shipping? Something is wrong, here. :lol:

I'll continue my reasearch, and contact the members you guys mentioned... thanks! :thumbs:
Old 02-03-2003, 12:14 PM
terryrudy
Drifting

There are a LOT of hidden costs with a turbo project. First off you need to make sure all your internals (crnak, rods, pistons) can handle all the boost. For that kind of boost, you'll need to spend a lot of money just on beefy internals.

I don't know about V8s, but for my Turbo eclipse if I wanted to upgrade the turbo on that (already have beefy internals) then I'm looking at a big intercooler (you'd need 2! ;)), bigger fuel pump, fuel computer, custom piping, bigger injectors. You would probably need fuel injection to make the most out of it. Priced that out recently? :)

IMO, you'd be better off starting with a new block that is VERY rev-happy as opposed to a torque monster. Not that I'm an expert, just providing some thoughts. It will NOT be a cheap upgrade at all from my viewpoint. Not saying its not possible though. :)
-terry

Get notified of new replies

To I thought I knew what I was doing... Wrong!

Quick Reply: I thought I knew what I was doing... Wrong!