C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Figured out starter problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2003, 07:05 PM
mp77
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Figured out starter problem

Was having trouble getting new starter on new engine to line up right and turn over without grinding. Had too much clearence between bendix shaft and flywheel and instructions call for shimming out board side of starter to bring it closer. Was trying to shim it every which way. Without shims, everything would look good until the last few turns of the bolts. This would always pull shaft away from flywheel. Car sat since I finished engine install in Dec til today. Pulled starter off. The mounting pads were really disfigured looking. Took a hand grinder and smoothed them out and took enough material from the inboard side to bring the shaft to the flywheel without having to use 7 or 8 shims. Took two times, as I was cautious with the grinder. The second time I bolted it up the clearence was just about perfect. Starts right up, but seems to hang a little when the bendix pulls back. May need one straight shim now just to get clearence perfect. Anyway, engine sounds real good and am looking forward to tommorrow as I will fine tune starter shim and start putting some break in miles on this thing. :cool: :cheers:
Old 02-01-2003, 07:17 PM
BigBlockVette
Pro

Default Re: Figured out starter problem (mp77)

I had a similar problem after rebuilding mine a couple of years ago and changing the starter. Mine started the grinding. I replaced the starter a couple of times. I shimmed it many ways. I then installed the front starter support from the front of the starter to the block. No problems now.

Dwayne
Old 02-01-2003, 07:26 PM
mp77
Racer

Default Re: Figured out starter problem (BigBlockVette)

I had a similar problem after rebuilding mine a couple of years ago and changing the starter. Mine started the grinding. I replaced the starter a couple of times. I shimmed it many ways. I then installed the front starter support from the front of the starter to the block. No problems now.

Dwayne
Yeah, I was looking for one of those. I remember an Elcamino I had that had one. This car did not have one though. I don't know if it would have helped cause of the clearence but they definately help keep it in line long term. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Figured out starter problem

Quick Reply: Figured out starter problem