C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing pointers for degreed balancer....any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2003, 06:06 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Timing pointers for degreed balancer....any suggestions?

I finally got around to installing the Proform balancer cover,in an attempt to better dial in my distributer,and after moving heaven,earth,and the water pump,got the cover on. Problem now is the timing tab on the engine is so wide,I can't see enough of the markings on the balancer to get an accurate reading.I seen an adjustable pointer from Summit,as well as ATI and others,but I'm not sure how they mount to the block. Do they mount to the timing cover bolt holes,or the bosses on the block to the right of the timing cover. I'm using an after market power steering pump bracket,so the bosses in the block are not an option.
Any suggestions? :chevy

[Modified by The Money Pit, 11:07 PM 2/1/2003]
Old 02-01-2003, 06:51 PM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: Timing pointers for degreed balancer....any suggestions? (The Money Pit)

I suggest a timeing tape very easy & fits on damper..mr gasket $5.95.workes for me & easy to do the DOG :seeya
Old 02-01-2003, 10:03 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Timing pointers for degreed balancer....any suggestions? (The Money Pit)

Can you see any of the new balancer cover outside of the scale? If so heres a suggestion. Use brite white paint to highlight the 0 mark on the original scale. Then use the same white paint to extend a line from the 36 degree BTDC mark on the new balancer cover. Thats the two most important marks you need. I figured if you could see the new cover around the scale at all, then referencing the 36 mark around the lip of the new cover might help you when setting up yur total timing advance. You could also highlight another mark between 12 to 14 to estimate what yur initial setting might wind up as.
Old 02-01-2003, 11:04 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I encountered the same problem when I installed a BLP two piece aluminum timing chain cover. The cover's mounting flange was so thick that after you mounted a timing tab on it, it was past the balancer. I bought a Tavia adjustable timing pointer. In my case, I took some material off of the Tavia pointer and got it to where I can read it now. If you have a stock timing cover, the Tavia would probably work well right out of the box, as the pointer is basically just a needle, and doesn't cover up much area.

AC
Old 02-01-2003, 11:21 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Default Re: Timing pointers for degreed balancer....any suggestions? (A C)

The Summit $25 or so adjustable pointer fits inside of the timing cover lip. so you just have to get longer allen screws to install it. that's what i have with my Fluid Damper
Old 02-01-2003, 11:34 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Greetings Money Pit,
A dampner cover can just add to the confusion. I would be more concerned where the true 0 degree is at TDC on #1. To find it you need a piston stop tool - very cheap. This test will allow to adust any pointer used (coat hanger if you choose) to verify your 0 degree mark for any manufacturing errors.
Remove all spark plugs and turn the engine gently enough to stop the #1 piston and note pointer reading. Next turn the engine gently round the opposite direction until the stop does it's thing again and note this reading. Be very carefull not to poke a hole in your piston or bend the piston stop. Add your readings and divide by 2. Now this number is where 0 degrees really is. Adjust your pointer/marker accordingly.
Personally, for $160 the Streetdampner by Fluildampner is best you can do for a street setup. Plenty of degree marks and no rubber (elastomer) to rot out. You get to paint it your favorite color too.
Good Luck ;)
Old 02-02-2003, 03:07 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Re: Timing pointers for degreed balancer....any suggestions? (cardo0)

If the Summit pointer fits inside the lip of the stock timing cover,that's what I'll do. I tend to tinker and would like a good bit of accurate marking on the balancer for reference in later tweaks. The TDC mark is dead on,checked with the heads off.I tried the timing tape already,which lead me to the realization the stock advance curve needed a boost,but the parts counter guy sold me the wrong size tape. The Proform balancer cover really looks sweet,and won't peel off in time with the heat and road spray. :cool:
Old 02-02-2003, 04:01 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

I just took the original timing marker and ground it to a point at the 0 degree marker. Now I have a pointer to adjust to. You can gring it to any way you want just make sure the point is at 0 degrees. I have a Fluidamper on mine. Fully degreed
Old 02-02-2003, 05:08 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

CAREFULL WITH THAT TIMING COVER! You can easily bust the gasket and start oil leaks. Even just removing the 2 tab screws might trash the seal. Stuffing anything under the cover would guarentee it. If you do remove the tab and screws, be sure to retorque the screws to spec (don't remember that number but its low).
To relace the timing cover gasket requires dropping the oil pan to clear bottom of timing cover lip and replacing that gasket also. To drop the oil pan requires dropping some streering linkage also.
I was able to just bend mine to correct. Sounds like all you need is a mark on the tab that allows you to see the timing marks on dampner/cover. A sharp shears might trim the tab but again a twist of the cover could ruin your day. Maybe a little Dremel grinding tool could be the hero of this story.
Good Luck :seeya
Old 02-02-2003, 08:58 PM
jimtreber
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Timing pointers for degreed balancer....any suggestions? (StrayDog)

I suggest a timeing tape very easy & fits on damper..mr gasket $5.95.workes for me & easy to do the DOG :seeya
They must make the tape better than they used to. The first time I hit 6500rpm, I found the tape all wadded up against the pointer.
Old 02-03-2003, 08:20 AM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: Timing pointers for degreed balancer....any suggestions? (jimtreber)

jimtreber......its not the tape failure its the application, the damper must be sanded & cleaned in the area of application to adhere properly....... :smash: it was a simple process for me as the balencer was removed from my big/block at the time , during cam change ......I removed all paint ,cleaned & applied tape .also painted damper black......putting the tape while on the engine would be difficult to do correctly............. :steering: :seeya :flag
Old 02-03-2003, 09:56 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the same problem when I put my balancer cover on. I used a Tavia adjustable pointer. Set the engine at TDC using the existing timing pointer. Then remove the pointer and replace it with the Tavia (I think Summits is the same unit sold under their name) and adjust it so that it points to TDC and your set. I think you can see my setup in my sig pic. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Timing pointers for degreed balancer....any suggestions?

Quick Reply: Timing pointers for degreed balancer....any suggestions?