C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Walmart or Eckler's

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2003, 04:03 PM
cruzin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Walmart or Eckler's

I need to dye some interior parts, some hard some vinyl, THEY WILL BE BLACK , now will the lower cost spray dye work as good as the higher cost
dye? i will be using plastic primer on the hard parts, so will i get the same shade of black from the low cost dye as from the big doller dye? :D
Old 02-01-2003, 04:31 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Walmart or Eckler's (cruzin)

This is written from a MS Word vette history log I'm keeping-so I can keep things straight if I need to go back and redo something.

Interior restoration AUG 2002 Convert from Tan to Black AUG 2002
-Plastikote Vinyl paint - gloss black - on top and rear inside trim (Walmart)
-SEM Vinyl paint - gloss black - dash and door panels (North Star Paint-Osseo)
-Molecuebond Vinyl Dye - black - seat covers (bought at Walmart)
-New carpet ACC vendor (Mid America)
-New steering wheel Lecarra 14 inch Vette specific (Ecklers)
-Epoxy Paint - Gloss Black - Steering column (Home Depot)
-New stereo head unit- Sony Xplod (Best Buy)
-New front speakers - Pioneer 4x6 (Best Buy)
-New rear speaker Sony Xplod (Best Buy)
-Custom “Corvette Forum” rear speaker boxes

The only difference between the spendy stuff and the plastikote stuff is the hue of the black. Dont mix paint on the same pieces as the color will not be quite the same. Using the plastikote 100%, it will still turn out great. The gloss black is not too shiny so it looks more like new vinyl but doesnt look like shiny paint.

I prepped really good though. I used Xylene (Xylol) solvent material which is just a slower evaporating solvent. Clean your parts with Dawn dish soap and water if they are really filthy and then let 'em dry. Then wipe 'em down real good with this stuff and youll be ready to roll.

Use the molecuebond on the seats if your doing them as this is a more expensive true dye and it will not rub off or chip (my seats were newly recovered vinyl when I bought the car). The other stuff is a special "Vinyl" paint but it takes something like a metal object to damage/scrap it off. Your fingernails will not damage it.

You will be surprised at how new you can make the interior look and how durable the vinyl paint is.

PS:I think I need an AMP to for the stereo.

Good Luck Brent...

[Modified by MN-Brent, 3:35 PM 2/1/2003]

Quick Reply: Walmart or Eckler's