C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lead substitute

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2003, 01:57 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lead substitute

It has been brough t up a few times before in various threads. There is a product called Max Lead I believe?

I need some info on where to find it, cost, etc.

The highest octane out here is 91. For kicks, I added half a tank of 100 octane. Holy ..... Talk about a power kick. It eliminated the misses, rough of the line start and smoothed out the idle. At $4.29 a gallon, it ain't cheap so I am looking at testing some alternatives.

Thanks
Old 02-01-2003, 10:31 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Lead substitute (Robert N)

I thought the lead was used as a lubricant to lubricate the valves, the exhaust in particular. Any octane booster would up the octane if that is what you need. If you added lead or could buy it I believe it is extremely dangerous to handle.
I ran 11-1 compression in a big block with a big cam and got away with 94 octane.
A cheap alternative for octane booster is tolyene? and there is another product that can be bought locally by the 5 gallon or barrel.
Old 02-01-2003, 11:32 PM
rainman69
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Lead substitute (norvalwilhelm)

You don't nead lead, but there is a product called Lead 130 (I think). It's 14% tetraethyl lead. Wear high quality gloves, don't spill it on yourself, wear a breather...

Or...

You can use xylene or toluene. Xylene is 117 octane. Toluene is 114 octane. Wear high quality gloves, don't spill it on yourself, wear a breather...

Do not mix either of these two concentrations of more than 30% by volume. E.G. if you have a 20 gallon tank, do not put more than 6 gallons in.
Old 02-02-2003, 05:00 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Default Re: Lead substitute (rainman69)

I've been using Max Lead w/ very good reults on my high compression smallblock. The label says it contains 14.8 grams of tetraethyl lead per bottle. It's sold by Jack Podell- call 219-232-6430 if you're interested.

[Modified by Les, 6:00 AM 2/2/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Lead substitute

Quick Reply: Lead substitute