C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternators...can you have too much?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2003, 11:59 AM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Alternators...can you have too much?

I'm an electrical dummy. Other than follow simple schematics and make common connections, I really don't know diddle about this stuff. Is there, or can there be, any concern with having a higher output alternator than your system can use?

Here's my reason for the question. Right now my 72 has a 42 amp alternator and I'll soon be installing a Dewitt radiator and Spal fans, so I know I need to upgrade to at least a 60 amp. In the future I want add more goodies, like an really nice sound system which will draw more amperage. So rather than do it twice, can I install a 100 amp alternator right away and be ok without frying something?
Old 02-01-2003, 12:06 PM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Alternators...can you have too much? (biltogo)

You can safely rebuild your alternator to a higher amperage, or you can buy an aftermarket one. The extra amps are only used "on demand" - if you need 20 amps to run your operating systems, you draw only 20 amps.

Gary
Old 02-01-2003, 12:42 PM
Metal Wulf
Race Director

Default Re: Alternators...can you have too much? (GaryS)

You can safely rebuild your alternator to a higher amperage, or you can buy an aftermarket one. The extra amps are only used "on demand" - if you need 20 amps to run your operating systems, you draw only 20 amps.

Gary
:iagree:
Old 02-01-2003, 12:44 PM
Michael Tucker
Burning Brakes

thanks for asking this i needed to know the same thing. i put the under drive pulleys on and the duel fans pull alot out of the system when stopped for a light the alt cant keep up.
Mike
Old 02-01-2003, 01:13 PM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Alternators...can you have too much? (Michael Tucker)

:cool: Thanks guys :cheers: :cheers:
Old 02-01-2003, 01:46 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I got a 150 amp alternator off a truck. The shop modified it to be a one wire. It is a little larger then stock but since I moved it to the passengers side away from the power steering pump it is no problem. I have twin electric fans, twin electric fuel pumps, stereo and of coarse lighting so in idle conditions on a hot night even it can't keep up.
Go big.
Old 02-01-2003, 03:17 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Alternators...can you have too much? (GaryS)

Most C-3's have Corvette specific alternators due to the fact the the crank pulley is smaller than a Chevrolet. They put out more power a low rpm. Most if not all aftermarket /generic units list corvette alternators as the same as Chevy's. They fit and work fine at 1000rpm but do not keep up at low speed or idle. Also you nee to makes sure the the frame AND engine are grounded to each other. A bad frame ground will cause the alternator to act weak at low speeds. Poor output at idle is a very common complaint with "over the counter" units installed on corvettes.

[Modified by silvervetteman, 3:19 PM 2/1/2003]
Old 02-02-2003, 03:37 AM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Alternators...can you have too much? (silvervetteman)

I installed a 160 amp unit on the 8T1......I run dual spal 11" electric fans....and a 12" fan dedicated to the A/C system condensor when I run the A/C......The A/C fan inside the car also runs at full bore....Then I have 600 watt amp stereo system....parking lights always on......running Holley Blue Electric fuel pump....and thinking of adding a fan to the trans cooler......everything running....with the stock pulley, it's just about even output--input, however when I slammed the throttle....the torque used to snap my brand new belts......Never wanting to leave things alone.....I installed the complete March Aluminum Pulley set with the larger alternator pulley.....stopped snapping belts after that.....however at idle my engine is internally hemorrhaging....all the fans slow down....the fuel pump slows down....I rev her up, crank up the volume on the stereo, and everythings fine It appears I have to be at 1000 RPM's or higher to keep everything up.....:D :seeya Cappy

Get notified of new replies

To Alternators...can you have too much?

Quick Reply: Alternators...can you have too much?