C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost my only ignition key!!! Arrrgggh!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2003, 11:44 AM
sammyb
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Lost my only ignition key!!! Arrrgggh!!!

Ok, this is a little off-topic, because I lost my only ignition key for my 1970 Porsche 911T, not my Corvette, but the question is the same: What to do now?

A locksmith can make a key w/o an original, right? The question is: does it cost more than replacing the lock? Of course, replacing the ignition lock in the 911 is a pain, because you actually have to drill two break-off bolts out.
It's like a 3-hour procedure that runs the risk of screwing a lot of expensive stuff up.

I have no idea where the key went. The last time I had the key was about a week ago.
Old 02-01-2003, 03:53 PM
scottw
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Lost my only ignition key!!! Arrrgggh!!! (sammyb)

I think it is only about 80 bucks or so for a locksmith to make a new key without the original. Call one and see what he says. This time make sure he makes two. :yesnod:
Old 02-01-2003, 05:44 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Doooh! Get 'em to make you a new one. leave the lock alone as long as your sure it's lost and not in someone else's possesion!

By the way, nice group of cars. I still need a 911 and an E-type to make my life complete (like that's gonna' happen!)....

Hans
Old 02-01-2003, 06:00 PM
sammyb
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Lost my only ignition key!!! Arrrgggh!!! (Wrencher)

Thanks...I called a locksmith and explained the situation...he said "drive the car over, and it'll be $35." Then I once again explained that it was my ONLY key that was lost. He asked if I could get in the car, and I said "yes, because the key never fit the door locks, so I keep them unlocked."

Then he suggested that I just bring in the door handle, and make a key from that, so he didn't have to charge $55 for a house-call.

I then explained, once again, that if I have a key for the door, it doesn't help me start the car.

So, I got my answer, but there's no way I'm using this locksmith :)

I'm still tearing-up the place looking for the key, but I think it fell out of my pocket when I was out last week.
Old 02-01-2003, 06:18 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I lost my keys once and a dealer only needed the VIN # to make a new key.

Get notified of new replies

To Lost my only ignition key!!! Arrrgggh!!!

Quick Reply: Lost my only ignition key!!! Arrrgggh!!!