C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ratchet Shifter for C3???

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2003, 10:27 AM
81ZZ4
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ratchet Shifter for C3???

Any one know of good ratchet shifter for an 81 C3 that doesn't have to cut the stock console?
Smoked the original trans this summer {but I did spank a new M3 and M5} and have a sweet 700R4 stage 3 from Bowtie overdrives going in. These guys are great if you ever need a tranny.
:steering:
Old 02-03-2003, 02:56 PM
Bearcat
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Ratchet Shifter for C3??? (81ZZ4)

Well, I don't think any of them will require you to hack up your stock console if you don't want them to. You might have to get pretty inventive. I think you might be able to adapt the shifter's console panel on the one you bought to mate up with your stock center console. Best thing is to just pick a shifter style you like, and try it. Keep your receipt if you just can't get the thing to work right. But I don't see any reason why you couldn't use any ratchetting shifter you want.

I have two different types in two different cars. I have the Quicksilver, which I like because of the round chrome ball handle, and the fact that it uses no additional levers. The indicator window of that one is a little bit vague, but it works. It uses a red indicator attached to the shifter itself that you can see through a marked window. And different windows are available for different trannies, like your typical TH 400 or TH 350, or even a 700R4.
I have mine on a TH400. Shifts beautiful, but the women in the family lack the strength. No problem for a guy though.

I also have the B&M Megashifter on a 700R4. I love this shifter too. Also ratchets excellent. The thing about a 700R4 is that if you can ratchet down to 1st gear, the launch is much more violent than if you simply put it in drive.
Also, being able to ratchet and hold the transmission in gear really helps your survivability driving home in the snow.
The Megashifter has a T-handle with a pull lever to get it out of park. You don't need the pull lever once in drive or when ratchetting. The advantage to the Megashifter is that it has a cable-operated indicator which works a lot better than the Quicksilver's. Also, you could move the indicator anywhere you want for a custom installation.

One other big advantage to the Quicksilver is that you can use a flameball lighted shifter instead of the chrome ball if you want. Very trick and very cheap. http://www.flameball.com

Like with anything in the hotrodding hobby, just dig in and make it work!
Old 02-03-2003, 09:28 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Default Re: Ratchet Shifter for C3??? (Bearcat)

Bearcat,
I'm getting ready to do this exact mod. Was there a difference in degree of difficulty for the install on these 2 shifters? Do you by chance have any pics of what they look like in the cars? That would help alot if you do. Thanks for the info. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Ratchet Shifter for C3???

Quick Reply: Ratchet Shifter for C3???