C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does everyone hate NCRS?

Old 02-01-2003, 10:03 AM
QuickVet
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Why does everyone hate NCRS?

Looking at some post around here in the last year or two I have notice that alot of people just dont seem to like NCRS. WHY? Is it because how strict they are about being totally original? You dont like the club for some reason? Is it that your car is just lot what they are looking for? WHY?

Old 02-01-2003, 10:16 AM
OnlyC3-4me
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Why does everyone hate NCRS? (QuickVet)

To me, its not a 'hate'. I am amazed at the detail they go to on their cars. I just don't really care. I keep it clean and very well presented. If I like a NAPA starter, then big deal. I drive it. repeat... I DRIVE it. That is what the car was made for!!
Old 02-01-2003, 10:44 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,326 Likes on 1,056 Posts

I feel sad when I see a buchered rare or low production model Vette. But when you get into the late 70's and they were a sad excuse for a sports car. What the H were the bean counters thinking when they sold less than or even low 200 hp Vettes.

Vettes are not a well built car! So in my opinion you have to improve them.

About corvette clubs: They have two different clubs here. I joined one for a few of years. I was a second class citizen by the time my car was 10 years old. Other than the auto-X guys and racers they were a very dull group. Just because your wallet is thick enough to buy or lease a Vette doesn't make you a corvette person. If I showed up at the meeting today in a 2003 Z06 the upper crust of the club would flock to me. If i showed up in my 79 the vote would be iffy to whether i could even join. :skep:
Old 02-01-2003, 11:09 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Why does everyone hate NCRS? (gkull)

I may answer when a Moderator is on full time & GDaina a NCRS member would be fine.
For now, just this:
The best car show has them all- modified, custom & stock.

Old 02-01-2003, 11:19 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just think of as a inter-family fued, if an outsider attacked a fellow vette owner, either would jump to the defense of the other. But put them in a room and ask what fuel pump should you put on and watch the fists fly! :)
Old 02-01-2003, 12:18 PM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

I don't hate them. They are a wonderful source of information on how the car was originally configured and what parts are original.

My car will never be NCRS quality - I bought it as a driver. I do appreciate a correct/original car, but given the time and expense of putting a car in that condition, I know I would be hesitant to DRIVE it.

I also appreciate a beautiful custom Corvette - again, the time and expense of building a custom would make me hesitant to drive it.

High performance Corvettes, raw horsepower and torque, are wonderful, and I enjoy seeing and watching them race. These are fun "see and be seen" cruise cars. Their no compromise, high horsepower, aspect is not conducive for my use as a daily driver.

I cannot afford a stable full of cars, I wish I could, so I just drive my mostly stock, mostly original, mostly GM/AC Delco, non NCRS car.

:) :) :)
Old 02-01-2003, 12:34 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 387 Likes on 235 Posts

Default Re: Why does everyone hate NCRS? (mapman)

Hate is not a word I would use. I think is fantastic what these people can do to a car. The meticulous attention to detail is astounding. BUT when I'm orstracized because it's not the original color, engine, or because it has a 6 speed, ect. I think it's ridiculous.

For what I'v seen many feel if it's not original it worthless.

to each their own......

:cheers:
Old 02-01-2003, 12:37 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Not EVERYONE hates NCRS, but some people do!!!!

Here's the deal as I understand it. In the past, there was a lot of snooty attitude from some NCRS members and judges and people had some very unpleasant experiences where their cars were cut to pieces by nitpicky judges in a rude fashion. My personal experience has only been recent, so I have never seen this kind of behavior. On the contrary, I think I have seen the NCRS's reaction to criticism of this type of behavior. The judges I have seen have all been extremely courteous, helpful, and constructive towards the owners having their cars judged, to the point of thanking the owners profusely for letting them look at their cars when they finished. So, I think a lot of oldtime NCRS members and officials realize they have created a fair bit of animosity and are working hard to correct it. But you still have people who got dissed a few years ago and will NEVER forgive "those bastiches", while you have others with a more recent experience who don't understand what all the bad feeling is about. Just understand that the NCRS hobby is all about how the cars came from the factory, and if that interests you - participate, learn and enjoy! :) MJ
Old 02-01-2003, 12:57 PM
Tom T
Burning Brakes

I'm sure the NCRS sereves it purpose well and is an asset to the Corvette family and it's history. I personally like stock, or nearly stock Vettes with performance or safety upgrades. Enormous improvements have been made in the Auto industry since the 1960's/70's, and why not incorporate this in the Corvette that you drive? Let's face it, but there are numerous family sedans out there right now that will out run and handle better than our Vettes. I don't know if everyone is recognizng it, but we are in the midst of HP & Torque wars right now between all the manufacturers that harks back to the late 60's era.
Old 02-01-2003, 12:59 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Those that I have met that express the great degree of hatred are those who also know and understand the least about the NCRS and it's members.

Not much different than any other type of prejudice or bigotry.

I can't think of any group I've ever encountered that doesn't have at least one 1st class a-hole, NCRS and CF included. We've all got war stories to tell. Let's not paint everyone with the same brush.
Old 02-01-2003, 01:05 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Why does everyone hate NCRS? (Corey 68)

Hate is not a word I would use. I think is fantastic what these people can do to a car. The meticulous attention to detail is astounding. BUT when I'm orstracized because it's not the original color, engine, or because it has a 6 speed, ect. I think it's ridiculous.

For what I'v seen many feel if it's not original it worthless.

to each their own......

:cheers:
That's my feeling I get from them. They are a very closed mind group---sorta like a liberal, as long as you agree with them & their views you're OK. Take a click on over to the FCR section and see how many replies you get. They seem to be a close knit group.

I just don't get the "originality" stance.....some of the stuff that came out of the factory is junk, ugly & just plain stupid! (ie. some of the radiator hose clamps GM used.) Who designs these things??

I'm just not impressed when I can read the numbers on a radiator hose! :lol:

[Modified by 1970 Stingray, 1:09 PM 2/1/2003]
Old 02-01-2003, 01:07 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 509 Likes on 309 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Default Re: Not EVERYONE hates NCRS, but some people do!!!! (MNJack)

Jack said it all. If your interested in how your corvette was when it was brand new, these people can tell and show you right done to the shipping marks. They have a wealth of information and expierence that few of us are able to collect. they are personable and friendly ever time I have met any of them. However like any organization, they have an extreme few who are or can be semi hostile. these same people are rather uncomforable individuals and can if encountered, present a slightly askewed image. Just like any and all situations we encounter in everyday life. But on par they are a wonderful group of Corvette enthusiast who give freely of their time and knowledge.
Old 02-01-2003, 01:41 PM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran

Museum cars serve their purpose. I do more than maintain my house or my cars..I improve them when and where I can. It's just an invidual choice thing, nothing to get upset about.
Old 02-01-2003, 02:14 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: Why does everyone hate NCRS? (1970 Stingray)

That's my feeling I get from them. They are a very closed mind group---sorta like a liberal, as long as you agree with them & their views you're OK. Take a click on over to the FCR section and see how many replies you get. They seem to be a close knit group.

I just don't get the "originality" stance.....some of the stuff that came out of the factory is junk, ugly & just plain stupid! (ie. some of the radiator hose clamps GM used.) Who designs these things??

I'm just not impressed when I can read the numbers on a radiator hose! :lol:
[Modified by 1970 Stingray, 1:09 PM 2/1/2003]
First you condemn the NCRS for having closed minds, then you say you don't 'get' the originality stance. You sure you've identified the correct group that has a closed mind?

Then you dump on the FCR board, which is a CF board and nothing to do with NCRS.

Sounds like you are po'ed at the closed minded people who post on CF. Got a mirror?
:rofl:
Old 02-01-2003, 02:16 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Why does everyone hate NCRS? (Mike Ward)

Mike,
Well said! Any organization will have a small percentage of snooty people. Unfortunately they tend to be quite local and often misrepresent the views/attitudes of the majority. My brief association with NCRS has been a very positive experience. The newsletter is enjoyable reading and a wealth of information. What people should keep in mind is the objective of the NCRS. It is clearly stated on its web site and in the literature. Accept or reject it if you wish but if you reject, why criticize? Just do not get involved in an aspect of the Corvette hobby that many embrace. Just to put that comment in perspective, the opening sentence from the January-February 2003 issue of "The NCRS Driveline" reads, "We're extremely happy to announce that current membership has reached over 15,000 families." The NCRS philosophy (in whole or in part) obviously appeals to a large number of people.

Old 02-01-2003, 02:59 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are extremes on both sides of the fence, the few hard core, old school NCRS'rs who believe factory correct is the only way, and believe me, those are very few in numbers and in no way reflect the philosophy of NCRS, in whole as an organization. The corvette owners who were the receiving end of their criticism, mistakenly stereotyped the organization's total membership as such.

On the flip side, NCRS members could ask the same question, why do non NCRS members criticise how we restore our cars. It's a two way street. It is evident in this thread.

Remember, different strokes for different folks. No one has the right to criticize what another person does with his vette, whether he builds an NCRS or a custom vette trailer queen, a drag car, or a daily driver. That is the individual's choice, and we should learn to control our criticisms.
Old 02-01-2003, 03:20 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Why? For the same reasons that some people disrespect anyone that doesn't share their opinion. You see the the same thing between fans of different sports teams, car brands, beer brands, religious and political beliefs etc.. Whenever I see a blanket condemnation of any group (other than those into some form of evil doing), I also see a small mind behind it. I get the same feeling when I see posts from guys that preach that the tires/battery/mufflers/oil/cam/carb/whatever that they've chosen is the only intelligent choice.

I've had my Corvette, an original car with lots of mods, for almost 10 years and I've yet to be insulted by an NCRS member. To the contrary, I often receive compliments from them, occasionally even on the mods that I've made. All of the NCRS members I've encountered have been very serious about their love of Corvettes and as such have shown me nothing but respect as a fellow enthusiast. While it's everyone's right to have an opinion, good or bad, about the NCRS, there are some things we can be grateful to them for. One is the availability of correct replacement parts. If not for them insisting on correctness, many of our cars would have to do with poor quality reproduction parts that were only "similar" to the original. Another is the events that they organize. You don't have to be a member to enjoy looking at the beautiful cars in their shows or to benefit from the knowledge they've gathered. (BTW, I'm not a member)

Get notified of new replies

To Why does everyone hate NCRS?

Old 02-01-2003, 03:23 PM
GREGG-73
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am new to both the NCRS and to the CF. I have on occasion been quiped at on the NCRS site, but I take it in stride. On this site I get encouraged almost daily, from NCRS members and non-members. I look at it like this. It's not a hatred of the NCRS, it's more over that their exacting principle code of-" out the door" means just that, period! AS BULIT AND OFF THE ASSEMBLY LINE.I myself was just beside my self when learning that options, (that were available in whatever year you wish to discuss) that were ordered for the car ,but had to be applied at the dealer from whom you were to take delivery from gets you nothing but, deducted points.
The NCRS is not for everyone, as many of the prior replys here have stated. But, if it were not there I believe that the Corvette would be less of a car than it is today. Does anyone here realize the information that this society has compiled to further and aide any/all Vette owners? Check their site out or buy a few manuals, you got a question?-they have answers, you may not like the answer you get , but I bet you it is at the very least correct information, not guess work. :rant: Let me say one more thing here, I am a assembly line worker for GM and I am not rich nor poor, so, maybe I understand where they are coming from a bit more than the average owner/driver here. :seeya
Old 02-01-2003, 03:48 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Who "hates" the NCRS??? Are they NOT entitled to practice what their club stands for?? After all the NCRS does mean National Corvette RESTORERS Society. And when you RESTORE something you bring it back to the WAY IT WAS !! Don`t you?? ...redvetracr
Old 02-01-2003, 03:54 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Why does everyone hate NCRS? (redvetracr)

My .02. back in 1977 the quadrajet or transistirized ignition was cutting edge. today in 2003 the aftermarket companies sell products that double the performance that existed back then. And if these products existed back then the General would have incorporated them. Bottom line as technology increases why not benefit from them. Other side of the coin if I owned a 67 L-88 would I touch a thing-NO!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why does everyone hate NCRS?