C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission guys I need your HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 07:01 PM
71DropTop
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission guys I need your HELP

Came back from orlando on sunday after NCRS about a 90 Mi drive, washed the car on sun ,covered it and did'nt pull it out till today and I noticed a clear thin liquid in a puddle about the size of a credit card underneath the tranny..
I have been noticing it is harder to shift lately but I just thought it was the clutch needing adjustment. this muncie was rebuilt about 1200 miles ago when I restored the car any suggestions??? :confused:
Old 01-31-2003, 08:28 PM
71roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Transmission guys I need your HELP (71DropTop)

I noticed mine was leaking a bit after the rebuild also. I think what happens is that the hole for the pressed in main shaft becomes a little elongated and this is where it leaks from. Some guys just seal em up from the outside with silicone and hope for the best. I noticed on mine that the oil was dark so I pulled the tranny and took it back to the rebuilders as that is a bad bad sign. I have since replaced it with a TKO 5 speed. I have yet to test out the new tranny.

There is not really much to be done about the elongated hole. I know new cases are available for about $250.

Don't know if the leak would affect your shifting.

Good luck
Chris
Old 01-31-2003, 08:52 PM
71DropTop
Racer

Default Re: Transmission guys I need your HELP (71roadster)

I think the shifting problem is just an adjustment but the fluid is something else. sometimes with these trannys going into 1st before reverse helps but they still grind even after the rebuild :confused:
Old 01-31-2003, 09:20 PM
goinbroke
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Droptop, I can't help on your tranny problem, but I couldn't move on without giving a compliment on your car. I've seen a lot of sharp looking C-3s, but yours is, without doubt, in a class by itself. Beautiful!!
Old 01-31-2003, 10:21 PM
71DropTop
Racer

Default Re: Transmission guys I need your HELP (goinbroke)

Thanks Goinbroke for the compliment. it means even more coming from a forum member :cheers:
Old 01-31-2003, 11:44 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

droptop,
"If" your trans is leaking from the cluster pin the CORRECT way to fix it is to rebush the case, this will also put the pin back in the right place.\
...redvetracr
Old 01-31-2003, 11:55 PM
mp77
Racer

Could just be something simple like a rear seal or a linkage seal. Sometimes when trannies get rebuilt these small seal replacements get passed over. Have someone put it on a lift and look before you assume the worst. :cheers:
Old 02-01-2003, 08:36 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Transmission guys I need your HELP (mp77)

Where is it leaking from. If it is the front I'm with redvetracr on this. Mine is still leaking from the front shaft. If it sits there is a little puddle under the front of the trans. Usually happens with older Muncies. One day I will have this fixed or replace with a Tremec 5 speed.
BTW nice looking car. My parents live in Palm City and my dad is a Vette guy also.
Old 02-01-2003, 12:47 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,613 Likes on 1,336 Posts

As the others have said a lot of times the coountergear shaft enlongates the bored hole in the aluminum housing. If this was the case and the shaft installed without snug fit it may be your source of the leak. You might also have a leak from the throwout bearing retainer if the input shaft nut was damaged installing with a pipe wrench. The gland nut(input shaft LH nut) fits inside the retainer and forms a gear oil pump. It the nut was installed without the special wrench it may have been "bugged" up and cause a leak. You have to try and see where it's leaking from. Other then a cracked housing,these are the only two places in front it would leak from.
Gary

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission guys I need your HELP

Quick Reply: Transmission guys I need your HELP