C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

leaking brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 04:00 PM
ykp53
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaking brakes.

my front left caliper is leaking. how hard is it to replace. is it easier to just spend the extra money and get a new one, or rebuilt one, or try to personal rebuild mine? any help would be apreaciated.
thanks
Old 01-31-2003, 04:56 PM
flood
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: leaking brakes. (ykp53)

I bought all new calipers from vettebrakes. I just didn't want to loose my brakes again.

I thought about doing the rebuild but I haven't ever done it so I decided not to try.
Old 01-31-2003, 05:04 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got rebuilt rear calipers from Advance Auto about 2-3 months ago. So far so good. Might as well replace both front calipers and 4 sets of pads and get SS lines and put in new fluid and.....

Not hard to replace. Hardest part will be bleeding the brake system but thats not really hard.

Brett :thumbs:
Old 01-31-2003, 05:49 PM
foundvettelifeisgood
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 183 Likes on 86 Posts

Default Re: leaking brakes. (Brettmc)

They are currently on sale at ZIP. Go through the website and enter coupon code ZIP-10 to get 10% discount. Life time guarantee.

They are easy to take off, although I have no experience with the brake lines.

:cheers:
Old 01-31-2003, 08:29 PM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Rebuilding calipers, versus replacing them, is a fairly easy job. It is not technically difficult, but attention to detail is critical. I have rebuilt the calipers on my 66 and my buddies 73, as well as the calipers on my 79 Mercedes (very similar design). The biggest problem that I have experienced is pinching the seal that goes into the bore of the caliper. Take your time, go carefully and you can have rebuilt calipers quite inexpensively.
Gary
Old 01-31-2003, 10:24 PM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: leaking brakes. (GaryS)

Rebuilding calipers, versus replacing them, is a fairly easy job. It is not technically difficult, but attention to detail is critical. I have rebuilt the calipers on my 66 and my buddies 73, as well as the calipers on my 79 Mercedes (very similar design). The biggest problem that I have experienced is pinching the seal that goes into the bore of the caliper. Take your time, go carefully and you can have rebuilt calipers quite inexpensively.
Gary
:withstupid: I rebuilt mine and it stops on a dime.
Old 02-01-2003, 12:37 AM
Touringpro
Racer

They're easy to replace - I just did all 4 of mine last week. Personally, I wouldn't screw around rebuilding the old ones. Get a set of stainless steel sleeved calipers from Vette Brakes (or one of their resellers) and you won't have to worry about them leaking again in a few years.
Old 02-01-2003, 01:47 PM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi
Don't waist you money in replacing all calipers without checking if yours are already stainless sleeved.
If they are and the chance is good, all you need is a rebuild kit.
Now again, either new original lip type seals or do what I did, get the O-ring conversion kit. This includes new pistons with O-rings instead of the lipseals.
Installation is easy and I can't see how somebody could do something wrong here.
Again, it all depends on if the calipers are sleeved. If not, they will be corroded in the bore and you must replace.
Good luck. Gunther

Get notified of new replies

To leaking brakes.

Quick Reply: leaking brakes.