C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

torque converter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 11:49 PM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default torque converter?

I have the stock torque converter in the original TH 350 that came with my car. I think it is broken, but was wondering if anyone has any ideas.

My car shifts fine. When I get on it, it shifts at anywhere around 5,000 rpm witht he gas pedal on the floor. However, if I get on it from a standstill, the rpms come up, but the tires won't break loose. Instead, it makes this noise that sounds like a combination of an arc welder and someone ripping a very heavy piece of paper. If I let off the gas a little bit, it stops making the noise and continues accellerating normally.

Please note that when it makes its pattented noise, the car is accellerating with great force. Just wont squeal the tires. However, in reverse, it will burn those tires like a madman.

Any ideas?
Old 01-31-2003, 12:07 AM
Chris O'
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: torque converter? (Simon Alexander)

Reverse is a shorter gear than 1st?

Can't say I've heard the noise you describe. Maybe the clutch packs in the auto? - although that is more a pronounced jerking with a higher pitch noise in my experience.

What ever it is, it doesn't sound good.
Old 01-31-2003, 12:16 AM
Stoge
Race Director

Default Re: torque converter? (Chris O')

What ever it is, it doesn't sound good.
Hehehe... you should hear the noise. Makes me want to puke.

I have a complete rebuilt TH 350 in my garage if I have to do a swap. I could just swap and have the original tranny rebuilt and keep it in the sealed barrel in my garage until I do the frame off or break the extra tranny.

My problem is that I don't have a lift and don't want to pay labor for someone else to do it.
Old 01-31-2003, 12:25 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Simon, any guy that dips, listens to country and likes 4W-Driving, should be able to swap those trannies in an afternoon without a lift. I did my own TH400 install and it is a bigger heavier tranny than the TH350. I'm also a fat old man with arthritis. :D
All I used were jackstands, a floor jack and some wooden blocks. The hardest part was dealing with the tranny cooling lines. If you can get a buddy to help it would even be easier to do.
Just use some redneck ingenuity and get to it!
Old 01-31-2003, 12:30 AM
Stoge
Race Director

Default Re: torque converter? (Smokehouse69)

Simon, any guy that dips, listens to country and likes 4W-Driving, should be able to swap those trannies in an afternoon without a lift. I did my own TH400 install and it is a bigger heavier tranny than the TH350. I'm also a fat old man with arthritis. :D
All I used were jackstands, a floor jack and some wooden blocks. The hardest part was dealing with the tranny cooling lines. If you can get a buddy to help it would even be easier to do.
Just use some redneck ingenuity and get to it!
hahaha you're the first person to notice what I put under my avatar! I actually only do one of those 3, and it isn't country or 4 wheelin' (yet). I know the other is the worst of the 3, but oh well.

So changing the tranny in a nice warm garage isn't too tough, huh? I have tons of tools, a real good floor jack, and a few good jackstands. Hmmm... I may go looking for a new torque converter for the extra tranny. What stall should I get for an all stock L-82?
Old 01-31-2003, 12:58 AM
Chris O'
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just make sure you have at least 16 inches ground clearance to slide the tranny out. :yesnod:

As for stall speed probably 2000-2200. Search for my recent threads regarding my stall speed.

:cheers:
Old 01-31-2003, 09:06 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Please note that when it makes its pattented noise, the car is accellerating with great force. Just wont squeal the tires. However, in reverse, it will burn those tires like a madman.

Any ideas?
Check for fan blade to shroud contact. Possible broken motor mount.

In reverse the wt. is lifted from the rear wheels. The Corvette IRS works well. What you want is acceleration!

:cool:

Get notified of new replies

To torque converter?

Quick Reply: torque converter?