C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This Head/Cam Combo Good??? Please have a look, getting ready to buy.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 11:05 PM
VETDRMS
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default This Head/Cam Combo Good??? Please have a look, getting ready to buy.

I have been planning this for a while, and i've come down to two options.
Please feel free to add any information that i may want to consider.
Thanks!

Cam: Comp Cams Extreme Energy CS XS268S-10
Type: Solid Mechanical Flat Tappet
Duration at .050: I[230] E[236]
Gross Valve Lift: I[0.488] E[0.501]
Lobe Seperation: 110
Link: http://www.compcams.com/information/...umber=12-676-4

Head1: Dart Iron Eagle 200cc 64cc Straight Plug
IValve1: Manley Race Flo 2.02
EValve1: Manley Race Flo 1.60
Springs1: Comp Cams 983-16 Single Spring (recommend for cam)
Retainers: Comp
Keepers: Comp
Guide Plates: Comp
Studs Comp
Extra Work: Bowls Blended and Assembled to Cam Specs
--------------
TOTAL PRICE: $1085.06

Head2: Dart Iron Eagle 200cc 64cc Straight Plug
IValve2: Manley Pro Flo Extreme Duty 2.02
EValve2: Manley Pro Flo Extreme Duty 1.60
Springs2: Crane Double Springs
Retainers: Crane
Keepers: Crane Machined Keepers
Guide Plates: Comp
Studs Comp
Extra Work: Bowls Blended and Assembled to Cam Specs
--------------
TOTAL PRICE: $1318.82

I want to go with the second head combination because I plan to run N20 in the future and I would like to use the best valves I can. The dual springs will also allow me to possibly go up to a larger cam or use 1.6 Rockers.

Head Link: http://www.dartheads.com/sbiron200.htm

Compression will be ~9.8:1 With .031 Head Gasket.

I am using an Edelbrock Performer EPS Intake, but
may switch to the RPM Air-Gap

Any suggestions or information that I should be aware of would greatly be appreciated.

Also, how do you think it will perform? :reddevil

Thanks! :cheers:

[Modified by VETDRMS, 9:06 PM 1/30/2003]
Old 01-31-2003, 02:58 AM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: This Head/Cam Combo Good??? Please have a look, getting ready to buy. (VETDRMS)

That should be a nice combination. I would use cylinder head number one. It's always a good idea to use the recommended valve springs for the cam use choose. Matching the retainers by manufacturer means that you should have less installation problems. If you can fit it under the hood an Air-Gap will let the engine breathe better at higher RPM without costing you any noticable low end power.
Let us know how it runs! :yesnod:
Old 01-31-2003, 08:13 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: This Head/Cam Combo Good??? Please have a look, getting ready to buy. (VETDRMS)

Any suggestions or information that I should be aware of would greatly be appreciated.

Also, how do you think it will perform? :reddevil

Thanks! :cheers:

[by VETDRMS]
Use the rec. single springs- there is more to this than you seem to be aware of. You need a higher stall converter for that cam! Should scream from about 3000 up.
Old 01-31-2003, 08:31 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: This Head/Cam Combo Good??? Please have a look, getting ready to buy. (Ganey)

Looks like a good cam, where the heil did you find it. I was looking for a dual pattern solid cam on their site couldn't find one. I even put in "CS XS268S-10"
in their search engine and it comes up empty. The thing that really pis ses me off is that because I couldn't find them I ordered a 282S Magnum cam last weekend.
Old 01-31-2003, 10:10 AM
VETDRMS
Melting Slicks

Default Re: This Head/Cam Combo Good??? Please have a look, getting ready to buy. (1979toy)

1979toy I was leaning towards the first option as well.

Ganey I do realize the importance of correct spring pressures on a flat tappet cam, specifically the seat pressure. The dual springs would be set up to near specs as the singles. The shop doing the work is very reputible and their recommendation was based on Dart recommending dual springs with solid cams on their heads. Also comp recommends the same spring on a couple of their hydraulic cams.?
ALSO, I am installing a TCI-Break-Away 2500-2600rpm stall converter, and i have a 3.70 rear gear with 26.45" tires.

Motorhead Your telling me its hard to find! The only mention of it is under a new product flyer on comp's website! the parft number is:

12-676-4

If you want, I will email you the PDF flyer.

Thanks, I think I am going to go with the comp spring/hardware, but upgrade the first head combination to Pro Flo Valves.

:cheers:

[Modified by VETDRMS, 8:11 AM 1/31/2003]
Old 01-31-2003, 10:43 AM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

I am in prosess of installing XE262(1300/5600rpm) In my 427,as I have 3.08 rear gears, stayed very conservative on cam selection for max tourque...heads , Endlebrock alum oval ports,Wieland 2 plane,stewart alum water pump,msd roller tipped rockers.if i had 355 gears would have gone with the XE268............Sounds like a good combination for your set up..........the DOG :thumbs: :seeya :steering: :flag
Old 01-31-2003, 10:49 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Why do you want straight plug heads? Why do you want small valves? Why do you want iron?

Dart will sell those with factory bowl blending and 2.05 intakes 1.625 E.
http://www.dartheads.com/sbiron200.htm

Check the prices from http://www.martelbros.com
Old 01-31-2003, 11:02 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: This Head/Cam Combo Good??? Please have a look, getting ready to buy. (gkull)

VETDRMS -> Thanks email me the pdf file I have to go to pick up my cam tommorrow maybe I can change it. I wonder if it uses the same lifters as the 282S ?

motorhead007@rogers.com
Old 01-31-2003, 11:16 AM
VETDRMS
Melting Slicks

Default Re: This Head/Cam Combo Good??? Please have a look, getting ready to buy. (StrayDog)

StrayDog Thanks, you should have quite the runner when you have it all back together. I think you'll have a little traction problem :) :steering:

gkull Angle plugs wont' work with my headers, I wasn't aware these were "small." I know a bigger valve can be used, I will look into it.
Cost IS a BIG consideration. If I had the money I would spend 2000+ on a good set of CNC ported heads. I have the money to buy them, but not enough to do all the other stuff I want (fuel system, torque converter, tranny cooler, electric fan, intake) Thanks for the heads up, I know you have one hell of a car. :reddevil
What heads do you use? [parts, ect]

MotorHead You've got mail!
Old 01-31-2003, 12:35 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Click on my name above my Avitar and go to my forum home page for car details.

I've only had two kinds of headers on my car. headman 1 5/8ths and Hooker S/C 1 3/4. so I can't confirm this for all header types. But I gained plug access when I went to angle plugs. I'm not even running shorties right now. with 90 degree boots from above and 10.4 mm monster race wires
Old 01-31-2003, 01:38 PM
Tominator
Drifting

Couple of things;
1) Hood clearance; if you go the the RPM intake it's higher and then once you add the nitrous plate it will be even higher. I'm in the same boat with the performer and adding nitrous.

My plan is stay with the performer and then add the plate mine is around 1" tall. I think that might help it to rev past the 5500 mark a little easier.

2) The compression that high with iron heads might generate extra heat, make sure your cooling system is up to it.

3) On a happer note what kind of ponies do you think you'll be making?

4) If you decide to go to the RPM model I would be interested in buying your EPS model.

[Modified by Tominator, 12:48 PM 1/31/2003]
Old 01-31-2003, 01:56 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Default Re: This Head/Cam Combo Good??? Please have a look, getting ready to buy. (Tominator)

Tominator: The Performer is a sad excuse for a performance item!:(

The internal ports are so small that they restrict air flow on a 355 ci motor to the extent that putting a bigger carb and better heads and a hotter cam doesn't even make a difference. I spent allot of rear wheel dyno time proving it.

Out of all the dual planes I would rate the Weiand Stealth as one of the top ones.
Old 01-31-2003, 07:56 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I wouldn't put this combination in a 350 unless you're running a 3000 rpm stall and at least 3.70 gears.The heads 200cc runners will cause low port velocity,and coupled with the cam will result in sluggish off idle to around 2500 rpms. The 268H I ran in my 350 had 218 degrees@.050 and pulled nicely off the line,and would top 5500rpms with stock heads,which have smaller ports.Sometimes less IS more!
Old 01-31-2003, 08:19 PM
VETDRMS
Melting Slicks

Default Re: This Head/Cam Combo Good??? Please have a look, getting ready to buy. (The Money Pit)

Thanks, as posted above I will be running a TCI 2600rpm stall converter with 3.70 rear and 26.45" tires. :cheers:
Old 02-01-2003, 05:38 PM
69stingray
Burning Brakes

My first reaction was that the 200's may be a tad too large, but given your stall speed and how steep your rear ratio is, you must cruise in the 2500-3000 range for a guess?

The Perfomer RPM will allow those 200 heads to breath better then the performer.

With dual plane, Dyno2000 says, 425 lb. ft @ 4000 rpm & 397 HP @ 5500 RPM and with single plane, 435 lb ft @ 4500 rpm & 419 HP @ 5500 rpm. The Performer RPM should be in the middle.

What happened to the Edelborck Performer heads noted in your sign.?

[Modified by 69stingray, 5:47 PM 2/1/2003]
Old 02-01-2003, 05:44 PM
69stingray
Burning Brakes

Default Re: This Head/Cam Combo Good??? Please have a look, getting ready to buy. (gkull)

Tominator: The Performer is a sad excuse for a performance item!:(

The internal ports are so small that they restrict air flow on a 355 ci motor to the extent that putting a bigger carb and better heads and a hotter cam doesn't even make a difference. I spent allot of rear wheel dyno time proving it.

Out of all the dual planes I would rate the Weiand Stealth as one of the top ones.
Very interesting. Where does the Performer RPM fall and the Torker II? All of the magazine articles using the RPM say it out performers the Performer and Victor below 4500 RPM or so.
Old 02-01-2003, 10:46 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Default Re: This Head/Cam Combo Good??? Please have a look, getting ready to buy. (69stingray)

The performer RPM and RPM air gap are newer designs. The torquer II is old tech.

You have to be very carefull when you read magazine dyno comparisons about one motor and they change intakes to how the dyno figures change. Every motor reacts different. Over lap on the cam timing and wide split durations can completely skew what ever product they are trying to sell. Or should i say paid for the articles out come.

Get notified of new replies

To This Head/Cam Combo Good??? Please have a look, getting ready to buy.

Quick Reply: This Head/Cam Combo Good??? Please have a look, getting ready to buy.