C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i found the cause of the mysterious squeek...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 10:30 PM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default i found the cause of the mysterious squeek...

remember this? http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=475336
well...after not being able to find out what it was i decided to "drive it till it breaks" so at least i could fix it! :yesnod:
and sure nuff it broke!
driving it the other day i pulled into a vegetable stand to get some corn on the cob etc and when i stopped the car i smelled coolant... :eek:
come to find out one of the copper looking rods that push thru the radiator to lock the elec fan into place had worked loose...
you know the ones, they push thru the peice on the other side but "cant pull back thru" kinda like a zip tie...?
well...one of mine pushed back thru about 1/8" and thru vibration etc was chaffing against the water passageway of the radiator...(im not sure what you call them)
anyway...it "sawed" thru it and caused a pin hole leak...
and as soon as the coolant "lubricated" the rod, the noise stopped!
even tho it was a new radiator i was estatic that i had found the sorce of the noise! :lol:
i brought the radiator to a friend at a raditor shop and he repaired it while i built a kick-as* bracket to mount the fan on...
so now not only the noise is gone but i can now remove the fan with 2 bolts that are easily accessable at the top (the bottoms of the bracket slip into the slots that the shroud used to slip into) and i even installed a GM Weather type plug too!
the mysterious squeek is gone!!! WOO HOO!!!
Old 01-31-2003, 01:17 AM
standup
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: i found the cause of the mysterious squeek... (SIGNGUY)

Aren't those unidentifiable noises annoying? I had a "cricket squeak" that turned out to be a broken motor mount!!!!!!

Congratulations.....I totally understand your relief and joy!
Old 01-31-2003, 05:45 AM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: i found the cause of the mysterious squeek... (SIGNGUY)

Actually I meant to thank you for your original post on this. It helped me (and another forum member) solve a mysterious squeal I had. So, I can understand your happiness. :lol:

Glad to hear you "new" vette is running well! :thumbs:
Old 01-31-2003, 07:54 AM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: i found the cause of the mysterious squeek... (standup)

Dear Standup,
Hey, Kiwi, good to see your post. Are you planning a trip Stateside in June? If so, check our post "Calling all Australians" as there is a pretty good package deal on. I have no idea if it will work with someone from NZ, but you can only try>

Regards from Down Under

aussiejohn :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To i found the cause of the mysterious squeek...

Quick Reply: i found the cause of the mysterious squeek...