C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'69 manual steering relay rod ball stud

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 08:29 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default '69 manual steering relay rod ball stud

Whew, what a mouthful. I'm in the process of tearing apart the front suspension of my '69 for a rebuild. I noticed that the front end kit I bought doesn't contain the ball stud for the relay rod that attaches to the pitman arm. Logically, I can't see why this part would wear, but looking at the boots they are cracked and in poor shape. Is there a method or measurement I can use to see if the stud has too much wear? Are the rubber boots available from a vendor without having to purchase the entire ball stud kit?

Obviously I haven't gotten the relay rod removed from the car yet, so some of this may be obvious once I get it off and on the bench.

Thanks,
Shannon

Old 01-30-2003, 11:18 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Default Re: '69 manual steering relay rod ball stud (sb69coupe)

TTT - surely SOMEONE has rebuilt the front end on a non-PS car and faced this.....
Old 01-30-2003, 11:41 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Shannon,
The "ball stud" does wear and usually these are worn out with a bad groove cut into them. The clamp and rubber boot are available, BUT I can`t seem to figure out why the boot is worth $12 ?? The ball stud (if you can find one) is terribly expensive. ZIP shows a kit for $95 in a two year old catalog but someone here was looking and said it`s discontinued. If anyone out there knows where to buy the "kit" to rebuild a manual center /drag link REASONABLE please let me know!! I just put my LAST good ball stud in my spare centerlink. redvetracr
Old 01-31-2003, 07:29 AM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Default Re: '69 manual steering relay rod ball stud (redvetracr)

Thanks! I found a kit in my current Paragon catalog. I'll call them today to see if it's still available.

Shannon
Old 01-31-2003, 10:26 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,330 Posts

I just rebuilt this part. I used the "kit" from Paragon. It comes with a stud,boot and clamp. About $50 if I recall. Doesn't come with springs or cups. The Zip kit was discontinued when I tried to order a month ago.
The ball stud was one thing that was overlooked in past suspension rebuilds and the ball had grooves worn into it. The GM manual has the correct procedure to install the nut and cotter pin.
Gary
Old 01-31-2003, 11:03 AM
no_radio
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: '69 manual steering relay rod ball stud (gtr1999)

Eckler's used to carry all the parts in the back "restoration" section of their catalog, but it's been about 3 or 4 years since I bought mine.
I would replace it while you're in there, just for good measure.
Jeff

Get notified of new replies

To '69 manual steering relay rod ball stud

Quick Reply: '69 manual steering relay rod ball stud