C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What the 411 on squeaky brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 04:10 AM
sharkthehunter77
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What the 411 on squeaky brakes?

Seems to be a sligthly progressive problem. especially in reverse of all things, the parking brake doesn't work at all and i wonder if theres a connection. In reverse the pitch is high and screaming and breaking forward is only slight! Its not sooo anoying i couldn't live with this problem but if its a safety issue then i obviously am obligated to fix it! I have found a receipt from the previous owner showing the "front" brakes calipers, rotors bearings and hoses as well as the master cylinder replaced in August 2001. Maybe time for the rears?
Old 01-30-2003, 09:22 AM
Turbo-Jet
Melting Slicks

Default Re: What the 411 on squeaky brakes? (sharkthehunter77)

Most sources of squeal come from high frequency vibration between the pad backing and the pistons. Many pad backings are coated to dampen this, so the easiest way is to replace the pads. If not, shim-type backings are available where you apply some blue anti-squeal goo. Pad material is the biggest factor, and organic pads are known for quiet operation. The reason for the louder noise in reverse is because the pads are 'feathered', which is not uncommon. :cheers:
Old 01-30-2003, 10:54 AM
Mack
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: What the 411 on squeaky brakes? (Turbo-Jet)

Organic pads. File a bevel on the leading and trailing edges with a wood rasp. Dab a little high temperature grease on the back of the pad where it rides on the piston.

As far as the park brake, they probably need rebuilding. Most people here will admit that their park brake doesn't hold well.

Get notified of new replies

To What the 411 on squeaky brakes?

Quick Reply: What the 411 on squeaky brakes?