C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I stopped into this engine shop today....

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 03:15 AM
Shock
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default So I stopped into this engine shop today....

And I got some info from this builder. I was looking for a local alternative to the AR engines we have seen on Ebay. His prices are pretty good.

Basically the 440hp/475tq engine AR sells for $3300 would be about $5500 locally.

He also tells me that Demon carbs just don't make HP. And that his latest engine build is a 383 with Vortec heads that makes 500hp at 4700 and 572ft lbs of torque at 2900. Hmmm.

Question is....Has anyone ever seen this kind of power from a 383? Those are huge numbers. I can't remember when I saw a 406 make that. And that is on pump gas with IRON heads...

And for those of you running Demon's, you can make about 30 more HP with a prepped Holley. Hmmm....

Mike the confused :confused:
Old 01-30-2003, 04:23 AM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: So I stopped into this engine shop today.... (Shock)

Basicly a Demon IS a prepped Holley.
I found the same problem when I started looking for a shop to do my short block build up. The cost that I was qouted was almost double the price from a nationaly advertised mail order shop. Then you still had to deal with their idea of what you need.
I would love to shop locally, but they are going to have to be close to competitive.
Old 01-30-2003, 09:14 AM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

You will find alot of people who really like the Demon carbs and promote them on this board. I am a very satified customer with my Demon carb. If you check out some of the carb links on the C3 board now you can see how Demon compares to Holley.

Mark B.
Old 01-30-2003, 09:36 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts

Default Re: So I stopped into this engine shop today.... (Sigforty)

You will find alot of people who really like the Demon carbs and promote them on this board. I am a very satified customer with my Demon carb. If you check out some of the carb links on the C3 board now you can see how Demon compares to Holley.

Mark B.
:iagree: ...I wasn't a believer till I pulled the holley off and ran a demon
Old 01-30-2003, 09:46 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: So I stopped into this engine shop today.... (Alwyn678)

...I wasn't a believer till I pulled the holley off and ran a demon

I get a lot of mixed reviews. A freind whose car we Dyno'd and tuned at the shop switched from the Holley 750 to a Demon. He claims it runs good at half to full throttle - better than the Holley. But his idle is inconsistent and low range power is worse. Also it suffers from something we see repeatedly: the common problem of stalling on a hard stop.

On my friends car we fabricated a bracket and installed a throttle kicker like used on Q-jets. That helped but didn't get rid of it. We also spent hours on the phone with Demon support to no avail.

I have in The Dyno Shop right now, a Chevelle with a built small block and a Demon - by customer's choice again. It suffers the EXACT same problem and the customer wants us to get rid of it. Wish us luck!
Old 01-30-2003, 09:55 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

And I got some info from this builder. I was looking for a local alternative to the AR engines we have seen on Ebay. His prices are pretty good.

Basically the 440hp/475tq engine AR sells for $3300 would be about $5500 locally.

He also tells me that Demon carbs just don't make HP. And that his latest engine build is a 383 with Vortec heads that makes 500hp at 4700 and 572ft lbs of torque at 2900. Hmmm.

Question is....Has anyone ever seen this kind of power from a 383? Those are huge numbers. I can't remember when I saw a 406 make that. And that is on pump gas with IRON heads...

And for those of you running Demon's, you can make about 30 more HP with a prepped Holley. Hmmm....

Mike the confused :confused:
With Vortec heads you won't get close to 500 HP.. unless you port them like crazy.... but then you could do the same with any other head... I personally don't like Vortec Heads because of the need for a special Vortec Intake...
You can get close to 500 pump gas Horsepower.. but not with unported Vortec Heads.. My 383 has 465+ HP... I bought it from AR Racing and the engine is very strong and reliable.. I will buy from them again if I need another engine..

:cheers:

Olivier

P.S. Demons are great carbs.. Somebody that says that they don't make power is :crazy: .. Well - they are not too cheap but they for sure make power.. However - looking around at the Drag Strip - most people use Holleys with mech. secondaries... That's what I have and I'm very satisfied
(I have the Holley 80528 HP series double pumper 750 cfm)

[Modified by GrandSportC3, 9:59 AM 1/30/2003]
Old 01-30-2003, 12:30 PM
Maurice
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Cappy (8t1-7t9 Bionic Vette) is running iron head on his 415 ci small block and I think he is also running close to 500hp. He is running 11's with a 700r4 and a 3.70 rear.

Get notified of new replies

To So I stopped into this engine shop today....

Quick Reply: So I stopped into this engine shop today....