C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T/A's rusted out?!?!?

Old 01-29-2003, 11:34 PM
Zack Wenning
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default T/A's rusted out?!?!?

I got a call from Bairs and they said my T/A's had rusted through at some point and had been repaired...so it looks like the repair job was not good so it looks like i'm getting some offset T/A's.
They also said that the yokes were bad as well.........I sure couldnt tell that anything was wrong from just driving it.
Looks like this rear end/suspension project is about to double in price. :cry
I know where my first month of paychecks from my summer job are going... :(

[Modified by Zack Wenning, 9:47 AM 1/30/2003]
Old 01-30-2003, 12:29 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: T/A's rusted out?!?!? (Zack Wenning)

Yeh, mine were getting thin too...so while it was down for everything, they were added to the parts list...7 years ago...roughly...

had I known of the advantages/construction of the offset arms I would have bought them....oh well.....

GENE
Old 01-30-2003, 02:35 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,002 Posts

One problem when I got my offset arms from Van Steel was the bushings were a custom size specific to the arm and I was planning to use spherical joints and adjustable toe-adjusters from Guldstrand. I ended up cutting the ends off of the arms and using 4340 tubing to create an end that matched the stock T/A's dimensions and/or the Guldstrand units reinforced with gusseting and TIG welding. Vette Brakes does the same thing such as with their front A-arms (bushing aren't a stock dimension) so you hope if you have to rebuild or replace parts that they haven't gone out of business. The detail is what can destroy the value of a car and the detail sets one modified car apart from another. That is why one is popular and the other isn't because someone took that extra step to do something that was thought out and recognized by others (Engineering). I don't know if anyone has an offset arm that has the stock dimension bushings. Just a thought since it sounds like some soul searching between modified and stock is occurring for what my input is worth. Good luck. :cheers:
Old 01-30-2003, 02:45 AM
74FLCONV
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my T/A's had sudted thoruhg at some point(
"Sudted thoruhg"? Can someone please translate? I would like to know what to look for in mine before I send them out.

Thanks,

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA
Old 01-30-2003, 05:01 AM
Armstrong
Burning Brakes

Default Re: T/A's rusted out?!?!? (74FLCONV)

Try rusted through :lol: Notr sure but I thunk its OHIO slang :jester
Old 01-30-2003, 10:00 AM
Zack Wenning
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: T/A's rusted out?!?!? (74FLCONV)

Sudted thoruhg"? Can someone please translate?
Sorry..it was about three hours past my bedtime when I wrote that, but i will offer advice rather than ridicule.
They said the drivers side was"fat" meaning the bottom of the T/A was rusting and was weak enough that the sides were speading apart. This was not visible to me when I pulled it off, although it wasn't exactly something I checked for either.
The passenger side T/A must have rusted out to the point that someone cut off portions of the top and bottom of the T/A and welded new metal over the holes. Whoever did this must have done a good job, because I didnt notice it and I looked over both arms thoroughly before sending them in.
Old 01-30-2003, 10:53 AM
74FLCONV
Melting Slicks

Got it, thanks.

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA

Get notified of new replies

To T/A's rusted out?!?!?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: T/A's rusted out?!?!?