C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wow! Mri is worse than being under a vette!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 11:14 PM
spokewrench
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Wow! Mri is worse than being under a vette!

I finally decided to get a MRI (Going into a death tunnel) to figure out why my lower back hurts and man did that suck! They put you into a tunnel with no clearance between your face and the roof and then this thing starts making really loud banging noises and get really hot, its louder than a rod knock by far! I was in that torture device for a half hour and I started thinking why I don't feel this way under the vette! And then I remembered that I could get out any time I wanted! Boy, this was a experience I will never forget! It is almost like they designed this thing to freak humans out!

I take going under a vette any day!
Old 01-29-2003, 11:16 PM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Wow! Mri is worse than being under a vette! (spokewrench)

Yuck!

Old 01-29-2003, 11:24 PM
Denmech
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Wow! Mri is worse than being under a vette! (Simon Alexander)

Good luck Spokewrench with the back! Had the MRI last november. Three weeks ago I had operation to fix two herniated disks! And I thought I was going to get some work done on th vert this winter! lol
Old 01-29-2003, 11:30 PM
spokewrench
Pro

Default Re: Wow! Mri is worse than being under a vette! (Denmech)

I will know the results tommorow- it is not really serious pain, just like a dull pain- I hope all is well for you! That MRI machine produces some fantastic veiws inside your body, but it is not for people who can't deal with being confined, like me!
Old 01-29-2003, 11:43 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

It really bothers some people, I nearly went to sleep in the darned thing. I guess it's from my Mother locking me in the closet so much as a kid. :D
It is a bit noisy in there.
On the other hand, I've got a buddy that they have to sedate to get him in that tube.
Old 01-29-2003, 11:50 PM
Denmech
Advanced

Default Re: Wow! Mri is worse than being under a vette! (Smokehouse69)

Thanks, I had Pain that felt like it was in my hip and numbness in one leg, Would become almost unbearable after walking for a minute! Yours does not sound like a disc though, Maybe arthritus or a steotic nerve canal.
Old 01-30-2003, 02:58 AM
Shock
Advanced

Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Wow! Mri is worse than being under a vette! (Denmech)

MRI's. Probably a large furry weasel has gotten in there in the night. They do that ya know....

Mike the paranoid
"Sorry, I thought you were circus midget."
Old 01-30-2003, 05:07 AM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Default Re: Wow! Mri is worse than being under a vette! (Shock)

i dunno, i went under my vette today, and my face got stuck. :eek: i had to push the body up to get out. im sure it wasnt nearly as bad as an MRI, but i sure was concerned at the time. :lol:
Old 01-30-2003, 06:41 AM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

Default Re: Wow! Mri is worse than being under a vette! ('79ProwlerOrange)

[QUOTE]i dunno, i went under my vette today, and my face got stuck. :eek:/QUOTE]

EVERY time I go under mine I come out with a nice grease spot somewhere on my face...the wife finds it absolutely necessary to snap a picture! :p:

I have also had an MRI (for some sever headaches I was having) and I'd rather be under the vette...only because you know the MRI means something ain't right!
Old 01-30-2003, 07:43 AM
RMVette
Race Director

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Been there, done that with the MRI for lower back trouble. I had back surgery 4 years ago. It helped for a while now the pain is back (excuse the pun there....) I have trouble bending to work on my cars. All I can say is don't take good health for granted. Good luck with your back! :cheers:
Old 01-30-2003, 09:33 AM
GREGG-73
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Boy, can I relate to you.I was injured in 99 and have had numerous MRI'S since-4 of them. Last one was in 9/02. I have a residual bulged disc, degenerative disease over the L-2-3, L3-4 and L4-5. Since that injury I have been complaining that my hip had such terrible pain and here of late my leg was going to sleep, cold, weak, and aching. Well after months of being out of work and waiting to see a surgeon ,yesterday 1/29 I finally got relief. It turns out they missed this type of sac that is close to and on your hip/buttok area. Now I have started with shots every 12 weeks for this condition. I had all most 85% relief as soon as the shot was administered. I could not believe it. Today I am feeling like I am on top of the world with having this pain put in check. The shot is a cocktail /mixture of Lanacaine,cortisone and steroids, not sure about the spelling here . I really can not relate to you what a relief it is ,so if your Doctor mentions it I hope it will work for you as it has worked for me. Hey it beats the heck out of surgical intervention, no matter how you slice it! :hurray: :hurray: :D :hurray: :hurray: :party:
Old 01-30-2003, 10:23 AM
VetteNut72
Pro

I don't have to worry about getting an MRI ever again in my life. I have an implanted defibrillator that might freak out and maybe do some bad things to me when exposed to large magnetic fields. At least they don't invade your body internals during an MRI. The worst procedure I ever went through was the Electro Physioligy Study. I was awake when they implanted the device and they stopped my heart twice to see if the device would start it again. You have all seen people get the "paddles" on medical shows, someone says "clear' and the patient bounces 2 feet off the table. Believe me when I say I know what it feels like to get kicked in the chest by a horse. My "paddles" are two wires that feed from the device and into my heart.

I have come to have a love-hate relationship with hospitals. My wife is in ICU now for the last two days and has cancer.

Bottom line, take care of yourselves fellow members and don't sweat the big stuff if it makes your quality of life better. Hospitals can do some great things these days but they are becoming slow and impersonal IMHO.

Old 01-30-2003, 11:07 AM
Fasteighty
Pro

Default Re: Wow! Mri is worse than being under a vette! (VetteNut72)

I was awake when they implanted the device and they stopped my heart twice to see if the device would start it again.
And I thought I had it bad when I had a needle stuck through my eardrum when they did a Chemical labyrinthectomy for my Ménière's Disease.

You win.
Old 01-30-2003, 12:26 PM
spokewrench
Pro

Default Re: Wow! Mri is worse than being under a vette! (Fasteighty)

WoW guys, I guess my condition is a lot less severe than some of yours!

The doctor says I have a small tear in my lowest disc and also this same disc has a very slight bulge both of which when swollen affect the spinal nerves and thus the pain. He said it will heal over in time and did not recommend any operations, I have to take 800mg of motrin 3 times per day
for anti imflammatory effects and to try to give it a head start in healing.

I hope all of you with more serious problems will get better and you all have my graces-
Old 01-30-2003, 12:31 PM
adamdinat
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

At least there is no and rust and dirt in the face.
Old 01-30-2003, 02:26 PM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Default Re: Wow! Mri is worse than being under a vette! (Fasteighty)

I was awake when they implanted the device and they stopped my heart twice to see if the device would start it again.

And I thought I had it bad when I had a needle stuck through my eardrum when they did a Chemical labyrinthectomy for my Ménière's Disease.

You win.
they did that to a good friend of mine. he died 3 times that night, and they had to use the difibulator (sp?) to get him back. he now has a pace maker. hes a whopping 25.... can you say work related stress? :mad
Old 01-30-2003, 02:30 PM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I have had a number of MRIs and always sweat a ton. It is a terrible feeling to be in that tube. Sorta like being buried alive. :eek:

Get notified of new replies

To Wow! Mri is worse than being under a vette!

Old 01-30-2003, 03:01 PM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Default Re: Wow! Mri is worse than being under a vette! (OHSIXX)

here in denver we have one of the 1st open MRIs. pretty cool. just as accurate, but no little tube.
Old 01-30-2003, 03:08 PM
QuickVet
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that stinks. my g/f told me all about that torture tube last summer :U
Old 01-30-2003, 03:42 PM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

Default Re: Wow! Mri is worse than being under a vette!

Has anyone else had an EMG? It's a nerve conduction test where they run electrical current through your nerves my jamming needles into both ends of the area they are testing and shocking you. I thought I had died and ended up in a **** torture chamber. :cry

Quick Reply: Wow! Mri is worse than being under a vette!