C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I hope this is a minor problem!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 04:03 PM
Clink69
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: I hope this is a minor problem! (Rick Church)

Is it the Speedometer or the Odometer or both? Reason is if its ODO then its most likely the plastic gear inside the Speedo. If ODO works and speedo doesn't then it is something else internal to speedo... If both don work then look at the cable first as well as gear in tranny at end of speedo cable.
Old 01-29-2003, 05:12 PM
trw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: I hope this is a minor problem! (Rick Church)

Rick

As stated above, if neither work, I would undo the cable from the speedo and drive it and see if the cable is turning.

If it is not, then its either the cable or trans gear. If it is turning its the speedo.

Make sure the cable is connected to the speedo head properly also.

Terry
Old 01-29-2003, 05:56 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I hope this is a minor problem! (trw)

You could connect a power drill to the transmission end of the cable and run it that way to see if the speedo and cable are good. If it works with a drill on that end then I would suspect the problem is in the trans speedo gear
Old 01-29-2003, 06:20 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: I hope this is a minor problem! (Jvette73)

Rick, I have been having every possible problem with my speedo. The first thing I would do is make a note of the mileage on the odometer with the tenths. Disconnect the speedo cable at the tranny and connect a drill to it. Run the drill in reverse while laying under the car. Let the drill run for about 30 seconds. Come out from under the car and see if the mileage has changed. If it did change the cable and speedo are in good shape. If no change in mileage, I would change the cable first and retry the drill again. If the drill worked, I would pull the gear at the tranny and look at it for the problem. Could be the plastic gear is either worn at the gear end or at the point where the speedo cable inserts. This gear is easy to replace, just count the teeth and tell the chevy dealer what you want. while you have the tranny gear out stick your finger in the opening and feel for the gear that should be there to drive the plastic gear. This is where my problem is. If you can`t feel the gear just inside the opening the drive gear has slid out of place and the tail shaft will have to come out to correct. This is where I am right now on mine. The gear has slid out of the way. I have the drive shaft out and the tranny fluid drained. It got cold out in the garage and I haven`t been back at it in a while. IF you have any questions shoot me an email or IM.

Hope this is clear as mud for you. It was for me. :banghead:
Old 01-29-2003, 08:10 PM
RS69
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: I hope this is a minor problem! (Eddie 70)

Eddie 70

This is where my problem is. If you can`t feel the gear just inside the opening the drive gear has slid out of place and the tail shaft will have to come out to correct. This is where I am right now on mine. The gear has slid out of the way. I have the drive shaft out and the tranny fluid drained. It got cold out in the garage and I haven`t been back at it in a while.

I have the same problem as you, so this can be fixed without removing the trans? I have a 4 speed 69.

Thanks,

[Modified by Cool427shark, 7:12 PM 1/29/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To I hope this is a minor problem!

Quick Reply: I hope this is a minor problem!