C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about getting some new shocks, maybe drag shocks

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 03:47 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Thinking about getting some new shocks, maybe drag shocks

I have a few reasons for wanting to do this. First, I want to get some wider tires soon enough. Possibly the 295/50/15 that everyone is talking about, that ive had my e-brake bracket modded for over 2 years for. Ive been waiting too long. With this, the tire may stick out past the fender well and if i hit a hard enough bump, it might crack the rear quarter. With some some stiff shocks in the back, it should hold it tight.
Another reason is, obviously from my sig, you can tell I am big into racing this car. Right now when I launch, the car squats soo much; here is the car waiting for the green __ and when i launch / :D well not that much, but ive seen videos of it and its pretty rediculous. Thats time wasted raising the front up rather than just throwing the car foward.

So, my question is what is a good brand/model drag shock to buy? or even stiff street shock. I honestly dont mind the rough ride since its more of a race car. how about front shocks to stiffen it all up as well?
Thanks
Chris
Old 01-29-2003, 05:25 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Default Re: Thinking about getting some new shocks, maybe drag shocks (74VETTE)

Chris a stiff gas shock with 50/50 compression/rebound setting or 60/40 would slow the rear squat. I originally had a 340 or 360 mono spring and it wasn't enough so that's when I went all out with the steel 420 inch pound. Squat and body roll is a thing of the past.

You could buy some adjustable shocks and dial them in for very hard to compress when you go to the track and a milder setting for daily driving.
Old 01-29-2003, 07:51 PM
Clink69
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Thinking about getting some new shocks, maybe drag shocks (gkull)

You could buy some adjustable shocks and dial them in for very hard to compress when you go to the track and a milder setting for daily driving.
Gkull,

Which ones would you recommend?/ I am thinking of doing this also...
Old 01-29-2003, 08:00 PM
Ryan77
Drifting

Default Re: Thinking about getting some new shocks, maybe drag shocks (Clink69)

Jeg's has a wide variety of drag shocks, check with them. I'm personally going to be going with the Edelbrock Performer IAS shocks, but they're not drag shocks. Good Luck :cheers:
Old 01-29-2003, 08:29 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Thinking about getting some new shocks, maybe drag shocks (Ryan77)

Ryan77..i have the edel IAS on my dakota r/t definitely a quality shock...
the only adjustable one i have found was at summit....

Koni Adjustable Street Shocks
"Unlike most shocks, this Koni adjusts both the rate of oil flow and spring load on the valve to give you the ride and handling you want. You'll be able to adjust your Koni forever, too--Koni put a lifetime guarantee against both defects and wear on it."
$95 a piece tho....that gets expensive quick!

anyone seen any rear drag shocks for c3's? and then i could use the adjustable ones up front maybe or just get a good set for the front like kyb

thanks for your help
Old 01-29-2003, 08:33 PM
Maurice
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With this, the tire may stick out past the fender well and if i hit a hard enough bump, it might crack the rear quarter.
I did that this morning on my vert. I am still sick to my stomach and haven't been able to go look at it again. It is about an 8-9" crack that follows the curve of the wheel well on the side closest to the driver.
Old 01-29-2003, 08:39 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Thinking about getting some new shocks, maybe drag shocks (Maurice)

damn sorry to hear that maurice.....exactly what im afraid of...patsnitovette did it as well a few months back. how much do you think its going to cost to fix??
Old 01-29-2003, 09:13 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Default Re: Thinking about getting some new shocks, maybe drag shocks (Clink69)

If it's adjustability your after the koni is great. I can't remember what Monty told me he had. But of course it was way trick. Maybe IM him and see what they are on his.

I went with the big spring and KYB. They haven't failed in 6-8 years. I went down and bought two new rears this past summer because I figured that they must be shot by now. They still had so much pressure in them that I had to use a floor jack to press them up and back on. So I still have two brand new rears in the boxes.

About hitting your body on a tire. Once when I had my spring off I was looking at things and I noticed both front and rear rubber suspension stops.
:confused: So I mounted a tire and took my jack under it until it hit the stop with some pressure. With a stock diameter tire (255/60/15 @ just under 27 inches) it didn't hit anything.
I removed mine for weight years ago and I use smaller diameter 26" wide tires that stick out past the body on the front and rear. But the key was the big springs 550 lbs front and 420+ rear and smaller dia tires.

To prevent what happened to Maurice. :( It would be no problem to add space to the rubber bump stops so it would never hit wide tires to the body. Even without massive springs it's an easy safety fix. :cheers:

[Modified by gkull, 8:17 PM 1/29/2003]
Old 01-29-2003, 09:19 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Chris,
I am NOT into drag racing but I know a guy with a Daytona rear spring if it helps and your interested. ...redvetracr
Old 01-29-2003, 09:24 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Thinking about getting some new shocks, maybe drag shocks (gkull)

HAL/QA1 12pt adjustable...I'd recommend them. They're around $130 each, and you can get them through Jeg's if you need to. I tested a few different part numbers for fit, especially with the VB adjustable suspension if you have it lowered. I like the car to sit lower so that the top of the tire is 1-2" into the wheel well opening, maybe an inch or so higher in the back. One of the recommended rear shocks will fit, but the stock length front shocks only have about 1" of compression with the car lowered as I described. I have the PN's for the shorter shocks if you need it. I have tried about 4 different shocks over the alst 6-7 years and I like these the best, especially with the tranverse springs.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:27 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Thinking about getting some new shocks, maybe drag shocks (Monty)

If you're planning on doing a lot of street driving I'd stay away from the drag shocks. Because of their special valving they are not meant for the street and the shock could get very hot an even fail.

Marck
Old 01-29-2003, 09:41 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I made the mistake of running 90/10's on the street with long travel soft front springs and really ended up with a handleing problem. Those were drag shocks and the best they could be set at was 70/30.
True drag shocks are not made for the street.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:53 PM
Maurice
Safety Car

I don't know how much it will be, hopefully not too much. Maybe I can get the "wing" removed also at the same time.
Old 01-29-2003, 10:14 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Thinking about getting some new shocks, maybe drag shocks (norvalwilhelm)

thanks for the plethoria of info guys!! maybe a run of Koni;s all around and doing like gkull said with the bump stop.
I even gotta wonder if i just used some KYB gas-a-just shocks with the bump stop how much an improvement it would be over the crap replacements i got from a local parts store

thanks for the help!!
Old 01-30-2003, 04:12 PM
2BAD
Advanced

you may like herb Adams shocks they are discounted, but you can get them from Moroso.
Check out this Corvette Fever article
[URL]http://www.corvettefever.com/howto/4683/index.html [URL]
:seeya

2BAD
Old 01-30-2003, 11:20 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Thinking about getting some new shocks, maybe drag shocks (2BAD)

Maurice i feel your pain,ill be fixing mine in the next few weeks,i changed my rims and tires back to the rallys so i dont do it again,and chris i used to run 90/10 dragshocks on my mustang gt and it handled like crap on the street, even scary sometimes.
Old 01-31-2003, 11:12 AM
X-OTIC
Instructor

Default Re: Thinking about getting some new shocks, maybe drag shocks (patsnitrovette)

Maurice i feel your pain,ill be fixing mine in the next few weeks,i changed my rims and tires back to the rallys so i dont do it again,and chris i used to run 90/10 dragshocks on my mustang gt and it handled like crap on the street, even scary sometimes.
"even scary sometimes..!" Maybe if you would of turn the NOS off sometime it would of not been so bad! :jester :thumbs:
Old 01-31-2003, 01:11 PM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Koni Adjustable Street Shocks
"Unlike most shocks, this Koni adjusts both the rate of oil flow and spring load on the valve to give you the ride and handling you want. You'll be able to adjust your Koni forever, too--Koni put a lifetime guarantee against both defects and wear on it."
$95 a piece tho....that gets expensive quick!
Chris, there's a Koni distributer just down the road from me. If you let me know (after the weekend) what the Koni parts numbers are for the ones you're looking at, I could get a price for them. It'll probably work out about the same as you can get them, but they sometimes have special offers on (might also get me off of my butt & finally fit some Konis to mine!).
:cheers:
Old 01-31-2003, 07:12 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Thinking about getting some new shocks, maybe drag shocks (UKPaul)

x-otic -mark-yeah that 175 shot in first gear might have had something to do with it :eek: :D :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking about getting some new shocks, maybe drag shocks

Quick Reply: Thinking about getting some new shocks, maybe drag shocks