C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

We have seen how to put rear 6x9's in, how about 4x6's in the kick pannels?

Old 01-29-2003, 12:31 PM
PyjamaSam
Pro

Location: At the end of 2 big long black marks on #2 Sideroad and Walkers Line.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default We have seen how to put rear 6x9's in, how about 4x6's in the kick pannels?

There are a few great designs on how to mount the 6x9's in the back (including the stock way). But for those of you who have 4x6's in the kick pannels, how the heck did you get them in?

I am planning on putting 2 4x6's in the dash, 2 4x6's in the kick pannels, and 2 6x9's (or bigger if I can modify the design) in the back.

chris.
Old 01-29-2003, 01:12 PM
Metal Wulf
Race Director

Default Re: We have seen how to put rear 6x9's in, how about 4x6's in the kick pannels? (PyjamaSam)

you really don't want to run 2 sets of 4x6's in the front... any special reason why you want them ??
Old 01-29-2003, 01:16 PM
88'Cubka
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Default Re: We have seen how to put rear 6x9's in, how about 4x6's in the kick pannels? (PyjamaSam)

It is just a matter of running the wiring, and making mounts, which is fairly simple in the vettes. But your sound in the front is going to be very over powering to the rear. I would throw a 12" sub in the back with an amp attached to the box. Put quick disconnects on the wires so you can take it out easy when you need the storage space.

Hope this helps.

David
Old 01-29-2003, 01:48 PM
rexx78
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that the sound from the front will be overpowering, and let's face it, you don't get the best sound from the 4 x 6's.

Have you considered installing a set of 5.25 or 6.5's in the kick panels, with the matching tweeter in the dash location?

Just a thought.
Old 01-29-2003, 02:24 PM
ykp53
Racer

Default Re: We have seen how to put rear 6x9's in, how about 4x6's in the kick pannels? (rexx78)

i have component 5.25" in the kick panels, and the matching tweeters in the dash, 2 6x9 and 2 6.5"(attached to an amp for bass) in the back and it sounds really balanced . i would diffenetly recomend this combination
Old 01-29-2003, 02:36 PM
88'Cubka
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Default Re: We have seen how to put rear 6x9's in, how about 4x6's in the kick pannels? (rexx78)

Actually, you can get great sound from 4x6's, just not if you put them in the dash of a vette. :)
Old 01-29-2003, 03:32 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's how to put 4 x 6s in the kick panels http://mywebpages.comcast.net/vettfixr/page19.htm

I had this set up for about a year now and it has good points and bad. The good points are you keep a stock look and the speakers are hidden. The system also doesn't sound that bad at low volumes. The bad point is that the 4 x 6s will not give you any type of mid bass or bass. I have a subwoofer connected to my system and there's still a big hole in the sound at the bottom end. The 4 x 6s alone will tend to sound shrill especially at high volumes. They also cannot handle nearly enough power as larger 5 1/4 or 6 1/2 inch speakers and tend to pop and rattle when the sound is turned up. I'm going to be experimenting with some home theater speakers in the back of mine to see if i can get a good balanced sound out of the system. I want to use the home theater speakers full range and run the two dash top 4 x 6s with high pass filters for the upper range. I'll probably keep the sub also.
Old 01-29-2003, 04:06 PM
PyjamaSam
Pro

Location: At the end of 2 big long black marks on #2 Sideroad and Walkers Line.
Default Re: We have seen how to put rear 6x9's in, how about 4x6's in the kick pannels? (Metal_Wulf)

Metal_Wulf: I had just heard other people have done this. I just figgured that you couldn't fit anything bigger.

88'Cubka: Ya the more I think about it the 4 speakers in the front will be really really loud. As for the sub that is one thing that I am trying not to do. I want to make it look as stock as possible, but of course it will not even be close to stock ;)

rexx78: Hmm.. A larger one in the kick pannels. If they will fit, that sounds like a great idea. And hiding the tweaters under the dash grills would be quite cool.

ykp53: Wow that sounds like quite a system. So 5.25s will fix eh. Hmm. Ok I think I might look at that then.

vettfixr: Thanks for the link. Great site. Lots of usefull info. Some interesting ideas. Now you just need to add a DVD player and LCD screen to go with those home theatre speakers :-)

I think the 6.5 with tweaters and 6x9s in the back might be the best solution.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

chris.

[Modified by PyjamaSam, 4:07 PM 1/29/2003]
Old 01-29-2003, 06:51 PM
Metal Wulf
Race Director

you can fit 5.25" comps in the kicks with no problems, this is the way to go. What kind of budget are you looking at and what will you be using to run the front speakers, amp or HU??

Also are you concerned about how it will sound(ie imaging)?
Old 01-30-2003, 08:21 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

While I prefer 5 1/4 components, bought some 4X6 for experimental purposes since they will fit the kicks, dash & doors. The first test (kick panels) has been done. As expected, they can be angled some & still fit w/ minimal encroachment into the foot space. Considering that 4x6 plates can be angled, may be better for stock kick panels & 5 1/4 better for doors as doors will provide better bass response.

Get notified of new replies

To We have seen how to put rear 6x9's in, how about 4x6's in the kick pannels?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: We have seen how to put rear 6x9's in, how about 4x6's in the kick pannels?