C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Tank issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 08:20 AM
JameyZ28
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Tank issues

I've started getting a bunch of garbage in my fuel filter, and I assume it's rust/corrosion from the inside of the gas tank. Is this a common thing? Does the tank need to be removed to fix the problem? How is the tank removed if I wind up having to do that? Is it worth the trouble of fixing the existing tank, or should it be replaced? Has anybody else already done this?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jamey
Old 01-29-2003, 08:33 AM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Default Re: Gas Tank issues (JameyZ28)

I did that last year. Both the original hard gas lines and the tank were corroded and causing havoc with my carbeurator. I believe the tank had some pinhole leaks in it that over time caused it to rust inside. I replaced both my tank and fuel lines and went to a braided line from fuel tank to carb. Without taking the body off it is nearly impossible to replace the original hard fuel lines so that's one of the main reasons I went with the braided hose.

It wasn't too bad of a job, just took a few days for me to do. Getting the old fuel lines out took the longest. As far as the tank, you'll need to remove the spare tire bucket and drop the mufflers out of the way. And for replacing the anit-squeak pads just use strips of roofing tar paper. Oh yeah, and don't forget to syphen all the gas out of the tank before you try to remove it.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:41 AM
1LE
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Gas Tank issues (JameyZ28)

Did mine about 6 months ago, Its not hard at all. You didn't say what year your C-3 was, I think 75 and newer tanks had a bladder . 74 and older did not. Bought my tank through my local GM parts dealer, the tank came from St. Louis with all of the GM markings on it. Worse part about my new tank, was the new gas cap, I ordered it with the tank, went through 3 caps before I finally got one where the tabs would not break off when you tried to remove or replace the cap on the tank.

Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Gas Tank issues

Quick Reply: Gas Tank issues