C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BARRETT JACKSON-REGGIE JACKSON

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 02:02 AM
spica 7
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BARRETT JACKSON-REGGIE JACKSON

I did not get the chance to put my two cents about Page62's thread about Reggie Jackson. Most of the comments are opinions Im sure so now I have to give mine since I accidently logged off the forum under my former name.and had to get a new user name becaause it was difficult to get back on with my new password along with my former name.

To 1bell101... Your story about Jackson offering you a lowball price on a restored gasoline pump after he asked you where is your boss? Im sure that offended you, how did he know you were the owner? I'm sure that probably has happened and will happen more to him it than has or ever will to you. You also stated your refusal to sell your pump in an insulting tone to his offer. Then when the couple came behind him and paid full price for your pump and asked you "did you know who that was?"
You stated yeah but you werent going to give your pump away to ANYBODY.
Well he did the same thing...set his reserve on how much HE felt his cars were worth. Im sure he may have put just as much effort and money in his cars as you did with your pump...and like you he was looking to turn a profit. Just like you had your price for your pump. Maybe he felt... just like you... that he is not going to give away his cars to ANYBODY. Thanks 1bell101 I'm sure this statement is true and God won't strike me down.

The Saint....."Who is Reggie Jackson anyway beside the fact of being able to hit a baseball pretty far and making a lot of money" Just because you do whatever you do for a living.....We know who Reggie Jackson is....JUST WHO THE HECK ARE YOU? If you did watch the auction Im sure you saw Don Johnson when he took the auctioneers mike and stated "Come on my butt was in that seat" to get $137,000 for a Cuda that didnt have the actual Cuda engine in it. I don't see you slamming him. Not a sermon just a thought.

[Modified by spica 7, 7:02 AM 1/29/2003]

[Modified by spica 7, 7:13 AM 1/29/2003]
Old 01-29-2003, 08:19 AM
QuickVet
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: BARRETT JACKSON-REGGIE JACKSON (spica 7)

:smash:
Old 01-29-2003, 08:24 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts

Reggie Jackson is in the car game for the money.....we all know that. He think his cars are gold and prices them as such. I think he is a jerk, he should just go sell bats and baseball cards. Probably more lucrative for him anyway. All the guys on the copo , yenko sites can't stand him and dealt with him first hand.....but again just my opinion :yawn:
Old 01-29-2003, 08:35 AM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

I was just conveying my BJ/RJ story. I did feel insulted at the time but it didn't last long as he certainly sold it for me. That's the fun oart of the story and why I posted.
As far as Reggie working hard on his cars. Come on, I really doubt he's in the garage sanding K38 at 2 am alot. His stuff is hired out so there's NO effort in it. Furthermore, my prices were LOWER than any restored pump pricing I've ever seen. Not 1/3 HIGHER because I personally owned them. Thinking your stuff is more valuable just because you own it is always going to make some people irritated.

I'm not cutting down RJ. If I was in his position, I'd buy cars all day long and sell them to idiots who think they are worth more because my name is on the title.

Larry
Old 01-29-2003, 08:45 AM
Solidlifters
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all, if you want to get back to your old screen name, all you have to do is log out on the new one and try to log in with the old one. There's a place to click on "forgot your password" and the computer will e mail you a new one, which you can cut and paste to log right back in. I had to do it yesterday at the office because I've got a new computer there and didn't remember mine.

As far as the gas pump value compared to Reggie's cars the comparison's kinda weak. It sounds like the gas pump was offered at about what they seem to sell for around the car shows. Reggie's ZL1 on the other hand was fast approaching double what one would expect to pay for a ZL1 with the wrong motor, and his 330 thousand reserve put it solidly in that range. In my opinion, one of two things happened in the case of that particular car, and in either case Reggie was involved. (just an opinion or theory based soley on past auction experience and utter stupor over unrealistic price of this particular car) I think he was just playing, trying to inflame the ZL1 market, and the auction company was wasting TV time flaming up the crowd, or they didn't have any real money on the car at anywhere near what he wanted, so they ran the bid up. Either way I suspect that there was more to that particular deal than we'll ever know. I've been around the auction business enough to know that the auctioneers will run a sacraficial lamb across the block and run the price to the stratosphere to excite the crowd. They'll also do it on a car when it becomes quickly apparent that it's not gonna get anywhere near reserve for the same reasons. Lets say, just hypothetically in this situation, that Reggie really wanted only 200K for this car, but there was no real money on it anywhere near, and it would've looked weak for everybody for both Reggie and BJ for the car to stay low. So they bid it way high to make it look like the car and the market are super high, then claim there was a big reserve. I've been real suspicious all along that they didn't have real money on the ZL1 in question, but rather had a couple of bidders running the car knowing they'd be protected by the claim that it didn't hit reserve. I'm not for a minute saying that BJ uses shield bidders at their sale, but I am saying that the industry as a whole reeks with shield bidders and many times you're bidding against the seller without realizing it. There's also no real way to keep a seller from getting a couple of good ole' boys to bid on his stuff. The practice VERY WIDESPREAD is used both to protect the value of individual items as well as to excite crowds into an auction frenzy state.
Old 01-31-2003, 01:47 AM
spica 7
Heel & Toe

Default Re: BARRETT JACKSON-REGGIE JACKSON (lbell101)

I hear you.
Old 01-31-2003, 08:16 AM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

:rant:
i have yet to meet a decent baseball player. most are illiterate and are generally total arseholes. i work at a hotel where we have at least one major team a week. MLB, NBA, NFL, and NHL. Hockey guys seem to be the best. Jordan was a nice guy though :thumbs:

About %75 of the players we get fly in thier personal prostitutes. make me wonder how thier wives dont find out :confused: or maybe they just dont care as long as the bentley is in the driveway. :smash: ok, im done. :D

[Modified by '79ProwlerOrange, 6:16 AM 1/31/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To BARRETT JACKSON-REGGIE JACKSON

Quick Reply: BARRETT JACKSON-REGGIE JACKSON