C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't you love it when you fix one thing only to break something else?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 03:02 PM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Don't you love it when you fix one thing only to break something else?

I finally got the new offset trailing arms installed and the leaf spring bolted on.

Then, I see it.... Drip.... drip.... drip.... Brake fluid.

It seems that Bubba in his infinite wisdom, (before I bought the car) bent the metal tab holding the rear brake distribution block. There is now no room for the brake line before it hits the trailing arm.

The new T-arms have sharp edges (powdercoated) and sliced right through the brake line.

Now I need a new brake line, bend back the metal and rebleed the entire system which is what I was trying to avoid by leaving the lines on in the first place. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Oh well....
Old 01-28-2003, 06:42 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Don't you love it when you fix one thing only to break something else? (phoenix)

You should do what I do. Right from the beginning break as many things as you can. That way there are fewer surprises later on. :lol:
Old 01-28-2003, 06:58 PM
Roscoe
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Don't you love it when you fix one thing only to break something else? (phoenix)

And I thought it only happened to me :yesnod:

I think we do more good than we give ourselves credit for. We just remember the bad things :)
Old 01-28-2003, 07:17 PM
virtue4u
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I found that old cars become "brittle" with age. One must be careful in torques and wreaking havoc on other items around the work zone.
Old 01-28-2003, 08:28 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Always be sure to take a ballpeen hammer and bash wildly around the area in which you are preparing to work. That way you break stuff in advance and can get all the parts you need before actually starting the job!

:jester
Old 01-28-2003, 08:51 PM
StingRay327
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it anit broke, fix it till it is! :smash:
Old 01-28-2003, 11:03 PM
Rich80
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I was just trying to get a spark plug loose. The socket dropped off and hit the the starter. I saw a load of sparks and my burglar alarm is now Toast! Great Job!! :smash:
Old 01-29-2003, 09:10 AM
Ken73
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran

Well, it's either that or the "while I'm in there" disease.... which I seem to have caught!!

Now my motor and transmission are sitting in my garage.. :lol:
Old 01-29-2003, 09:16 AM
Fasteighty
Pro

Default Re: Don't you love it when you fix one thing only to break something else? (Rich80)

I was just trying to get a spark plug loose. The socket dropped off and hit the the starter. I saw a load of sparks and my burglar alarm is now Toast! Great Job!! :smash:
:lol: :lol:
Hey Rich sorry for laughing. That kinda stuff always happens to me. Glad to know i'm not alone.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:20 AM
ED DINAPOLI
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

I was in the process of changing intakes, when I broke the inlet tube on the heated core removing the hose. It cost me $5.00 to have it resoldered and tested. But what a job to replace. :mad
Ed
Old 01-29-2003, 12:07 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel your pain. Bubba had my car before I bought it. He worked reeeeaaaal hard on it. The way I figure it, at some point, I'll have the entire car unbubbacized. Keep on wrenchin!!

Brett :thumbs:
Old 01-29-2003, 02:36 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Re: Don't you love it when you fix one thing only to break something else? (Roscoe's C3's)

Feels kind of wierd not breaking anything for almost three months now.Still haven't recurved the distributer though,so there's still hope! :smash: :smash:
Old 01-29-2003, 07:11 PM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Don't you love it when you fix one thing only to break something else? (vettfixr)

You should do what I do. Right from the beginning break as many things as you can. That way there are fewer surprises later on. :lol:
ROTFLMAO.... :lolg:
That's a good idea....I never thought of approaching repairs like that. Very Funny :D :seeya Cappy
Old 01-29-2003, 07:46 PM
Ryan77
Drifting

Default Re: Don't you love it when you fix one thing only to break something else? (8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE)

I usaully don't break too much, I get the while I'm there disease....badly :yesnod: . The while I'm in there leads to while I'm doing that why not do this, and it just repeats over and over again until I'm out of money :banghead: . For example, I'm buying one of the 470 hp AR Racing 383's this summer. I was just gonna have my mechanic install it, so I could be back driving it within a couple of days. Now, I'm waiting untill next winter to install the motor, along with buying an engine hoist and stand, detailing the entire engine bay, putting in a Centerforce dual friction clutch, heavy duty u-joints, and whatever else I see "while I'm in there" :banghead: :rofl:

[Modified by Ryan77, 7:47 PM 1/29/2003]
Old 01-29-2003, 07:53 PM
72rdstr
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: Don't you love it when you fix one thing only to break something else? (Ryan77)

I usaully don't break too much, I get the while I'm there disease....badly :yesnod: . The while I'm in there leads to while I'm doing that why not do this, and it just repeats over and over again until I'm out of money :banghead: .
Yep, starts with just replacing the bad idler arm, hmm those ball joints look old, wow look at those bushings, darn calipers are leaking, oops wheel bearing are loose, need alignment now....... Sound familiar guys?
My whole front end is new except for the steering box... RAN OUT OF MONEY!! :lol: :rofl:
Old 01-29-2003, 10:51 PM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Luckily I haven't broken anything extra... Bubba broke it and barely fixed it enough to work so it comes apart as soon as a tool touches it. Thanks Bubba.... ya butthead.

Get notified of new replies

To Don't you love it when you fix one thing only to break something else?

Quick Reply: Don't you love it when you fix one thing only to break something else?