C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anybody installed a 6 point cage in c3?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 01:58 PM
stroked 76
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anybody installed a 6 point cage in c3?

I WOULD LIKE TO INSTALL A 6 POINT ROLL CAGE IN MY 76 SO I DRAG RACE WITHOUT GETTING KICKED OFF THE TRACK.I FOUND A COMPANY THAT MAKES A 6 AND 10 POINT CAGE FOR C3'S AND I WAS WONDERING ABOUT HOW HARD IT WOULD BE TO PUT IN ANY IDEAS.....
Old 01-28-2003, 02:15 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: anybody installed a 6 point cage in c3? (stroked 76)

Several people here have jegs cages
Old 01-28-2003, 02:48 PM
45ACP
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

gkull has an 8 point in his car - http://www.corvetteforum.net/c3/gkull/
Old 01-28-2003, 03:02 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: (45ACP)

I don't think it would be too hard, the hardest part would be protecting the interior from weld sparks.

Where do you plan on racing it? How fast? St. Thomas usually isn't that strict( unless you are racing in class), I don't know about Grand Bend though. Friday nights at St. Thomas is pretty much run what ya brung as long as it has exhaust and street tires.
Old 01-28-2003, 10:46 PM
stroked 76
Advanced

Default Re: (MikeC)

hey mike c we are like 45 minutes apart from each other,i have been to sparta lots of times,i also go to grand bend and to milan in the states it is alot of fun.i ran high 11's low 12's in the summer but it should run low 11's all day long this summer i hope.We should get together at the track sometime because the only corvette owners i hang out with all have c5's and i am the odd ball but the fuuny part is only one of them can beat me ,well keep in touch....
Old 01-29-2003, 12:43 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I did a custom job. Or i should really say i had a race shop put in a custom 1 3/4 .130 wall seamless mild steel welded to the frame job that meets many racing saction body requirements.

I would like to see an Alston kit or even a Jeg's and determine how good they are.

It's a posed pic above lake tahoe Nevada. Her feet don't touch the petals with my solid mount sparco seat
Old 01-29-2003, 03:49 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Default Re: anybody installed a 6 point cage in c3? (gkull)

SCCA requires something like 1.75 in. dia. min. and .09 in. min. wall thickness tubing.
Old 01-29-2003, 07:20 AM
DeenHylton
Racer

I'm with gkull...have a shop do it. I put my kit in but wouldn't do it again. Unless you have experiance with Mig or Tig weldiing (required weld for NHRA and no grinding of welds allowed), metal fabrication ( part of floor pan needs to be removed and then fabricated back into place), fiberglass work (glass inner wheel panel behind seats needs to be cut and then replaced around bar), your better off letting a Pro do it. You also have to be sure the frame is straight as you weld the bar in because once the bar is welded into place the frame becomes very rigid...in other words your frame normally droops a little when up on jack-stands so you need to shim it back into place before welding. Deen
P.S. You HAVE to weld the bar into place because the NHRA rule book only allows you to use a bolt in roll-bar/cage if the car has no frame to weld too such as in a unibody factory chassis.
Old 01-29-2003, 07:38 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Default Re: anybody installed a 6 point cage in c3? (DeenHylton)

Okay, good info here.

Who has or knows of a way/place to get GOOD plans vor a preferrably 12 point cage for a c3?? I want to add this to my car but want to weld the engine bay subframe in before I get the (beefed up) frame to the powdercoaters so it'll look nice. I will put the body on next and weld in the rest of the cage before anything else. This strategy prohibits me from letting a shop do the final welding

Marck
Old 01-29-2003, 07:49 AM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: anybody installed a 6 point cage in c3? (Twin_Turbo)

Stroked, Maybe get ahold of McColl Racing in London, they make a lot of Cascar chassis, so maybe one of their guys would be willing to build a cage for you.

Let me know when you are hitting Sparta, I'll be there.. without the vette though since she is resting for a few years. If you don't mind racing a fullsize Jimmy doing around 18 secs I'll bring that.

[Modified by MikeC, 7:49 AM 1/29/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To anybody installed a 6 point cage in c3?

Quick Reply: anybody installed a 6 point cage in c3?