C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot rod air kits

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 08:54 AM
dogboy
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Hot rod air kits

Anyone use these in their 77. It looks like a good alternative to the stock system. It comes with a sanden compressor evap unit, condensor, hoses, brackets, etc. My A4 compressor died again & I hate the system setup .also I have no heat hose going to my evap .I bought the car that way and suspect that it probably leaks.
Old 02-04-2003, 10:42 AM
dogboy
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Hot rod air kits (dogboy)

TTT anyone?
Old 02-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

A couple of people have installed various versions of aftermarket A/C systems in their cars. GWHITE75, did one for his car and he is very happy with it. It is a much better setup than the old factory setup. If you are going to order one of the systems, contact Gary Gruhala at Gruhala Enterprises. He can probably get one of the units cheaper than you can order it. I think that GWHITE75 got his setup from Vintage Air, and installed it himself.
The main unit fit behind the dash pad on the passenger side of the car, with only a small portion on the case exposed below the bottom edge of the dash. This was on a 75 model, it will probably be different on your 77. Doesn't the 77 have a glove box in the dash? If so, you might loose your glovebox to the evaporator case.
Old 02-04-2003, 05:27 PM
dogboy
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Hot rod air kits (Smokehouse69)

smokehouse69
I don't have a glove box. Its the pocket thing with the snap button so I 'm thinking that it should fit up in there. I'm torn between this complete change over or just the sanden compressor with new hoses and drier. Both are expensive and I'm afraid if I go with the sanden only I might discover a problem in my evac unit...????? I don't know where it ends. But I will contact Gary as I have done business with him before. If I save a few bucks that way than I owe you a beer.
Old 02-05-2003, 08:48 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Hot rod air kits (Smokehouse69)

.... This was on a 75 model, it will probably be different on your 77. Doesn't the 77 have a glove box in the dash? If so, you might loose your glovebox to the evaporator case.
No glovebox, same 68-77. 77 just got the updated console early that was used on late c3.

dogboy

Just get the comp. you like & what's needed. Not likely that the evap. is bad.
Have thought of changing the comp., however mine is still good. Bought new from Chevy dealer when the orig. rotary went out.

Would install Vintage Air on non a/c.
Old 02-05-2003, 09:38 AM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

I'm heading down a similar path. I've already ordered the Sanden 508 and have the VIR eliminator kit in hand from Old Air Products. After I remove everything, I'm going to look at using the evaporator blower combo that Old Air offers since they can integrate any controls you give them. Modern controls, higher CFM, clean up the firewall, get rid of all of the vacuum lines . . . lots of reasons to change.

If your rebuilding your AC for sure, just haven't decided how, gut the passenger side and look into how you'd mount the new system you want and if you can keep it all behind the dash and how you'll connect to your duct work. Then make your decision.

Old Air Products is here in Fort Worth, so they said I can borrow a shell once I'm ready to decide. Probably 2-3 weeks before I start taking things apart.
Old 02-05-2003, 11:49 AM
chadman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Hot rod air kits (74-Roadster)

Has anyone installed an aftermarket in a convertible? Any problem relocating the brace? :confused:
Old 02-05-2003, 02:39 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Hot rod air kits (chadman)

I have to plead ignorant (no flames please). What brace?

Get notified of new replies

To Hot rod air kits

Quick Reply: Hot rod air kits