C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 08:26 AM
woodworkr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Body Mounts

I just noticed that the rear drivers side rear body mount is almost toast. Looks easy enough to change and will do them all when I do. My question here is where is a good spot to jack the body off of the frame to replace the top half of the mount? Also is it recomended to loosen and un-do one side and jack up one side at a time? I just can't see any place to get the body off of the rails.
Thanks in advance,
JoeB
Old 01-28-2003, 08:45 AM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Body Mounts (woodworkr)

I would think lifitng the body at the floor pan would be alright.

I'd pull all the body mounts at once and jack the entirecar up..... I'd probably use 4-6 bottle jacks and raise the body up with them place in various areas.( 1 on each side of the floor pan at the front and one on each side at the back, plus one for the front end and possibly one for the rear end) Remember you have 8 mounts to change, I would personally start with the 4 that bolt to the top of the frame, because if any of those screw up(ie, spin the square nut underneath or strip a bolt head), you can stop and rethink your procedure and if you still want to go ahead, you can get the sawzall out and cut the botls out.

Be prepared to have your front and rear most body mounts rotted. Even if your fram is in great condition there is a chance that they could be rotted since water can sit in these mounts for a long time.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:42 AM
TPIShark
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

By far, my favorite method has become the use of two camper jacks and a beam through the sides. Under the two door sills, you remove the plastic plugs. These were meant for alignment at the factory. A corresponding hole
is in the frame and they used a rod to align the two. You can run chain or braided cable down to these holes, and fish a bolt on it's side from underneath to lock in place. This way, lifting and lowering is precise and safe, and you're lifting that steel channel straight up. I've tried jacking from the side, but you run the risk of bending it outward. Do you have any pictures of the cats with the side exhaust? I have dual cats on my 2.5 " full exhaust and was thinking about a similar install.

Thanks,

Ray.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:46 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Can't help ya with the body mounts Joe but it's good to see you back on the forum. :yesnod: :cheers:

[Modified by 1970 Stingray, 9:47 AM 1/28/2003]
Old 01-28-2003, 10:06 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

I did this 2 weeks ago on my '71. There should be some posts in the archives where we discussed it.

I don't think you can lift only one side. The body goes over the frame in a U-shaped fashion, and lifting one side would jam it.

I lifted in 3 points. One jack under each side about 2/3 back the door, and one up front.

I like the idea about lifting from the alignment hole! Wish I'd known about it.

Before you lift I highly recommend you check, double check and then triple check that everything that needs to be loosened IS loosened. Don't forget the brake master cylinder, rag joint, parking brake,neg battery cable and antenna ground.
Old 01-28-2003, 11:37 AM
woodworkr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all of the information. I have to locate the mounting holes that were described.
Len-I know that I have been away too long, but have been real busy putting this years cancer show together (see post in southwest forum).
Thanks again for all the help,
JoeB :auto:

Get notified of new replies

To Body Mounts

Quick Reply: Body Mounts