C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parts check please?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 02:04 AM
1969Vette383
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Parts check please?

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/avanti63r1025
Could I get a "resto-mod pro" to overlook my Vette Shopping.jpg file for me? Click on Enlarge once you open up the picture. I don't want to order all of this and then go :mad crap! I need THIS part :cry and have to wait another week to get it. I have these parts I need, but I may be missing the small stuff.

I know for the rear spring I need that mounting plate that goes under it. Mine looks okay, but while I put a new spring in there should I put a new mounting plate in also? How about those 8" long bolts that Eckler's advertises to lower ride height up to 3.5"? Are they necessary? Could I find them at my local hardware store for less money?

Gas tank stuff. Is all I need the tank, "sock", strap, and anti-squeak pad?

What are some opinions on what shock I should go with? My friend has two '68 Mustangs and one has the KYB silvers, the other has the KYB whites. He suggests I go for the silvers because on his car with the whites, they are too harsh. However, harsh on a '68 Mustang can't be the same for a '69 Corvette. I have worn out Bilsteins in the car now. Is there a reason the catalog says "BEST SELLER!" right there on the KYB white ad?

Yes, I know this list is a ton of parts all at once but I need them to get my car put back into better condition. I bought it to drive, not to have a pretty driveway orniment :(
Old 01-28-2003, 02:47 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Re: Parts check please? (1969Vette350)

1969Vette350,

I don't see the "enlarge" icon on my computer so just some comments.

I presume you have the A.I.M. for your year, if not that would be useful to have. I mention this because the A.I.M. shows all the parts - even those that Bubba removed a long time ago.

--------------
....... rear spring .. mounting plate ... Mine looks okay, but while I put a new spring in there should I put a new mounting plate in also?

If the plate is undamaged I don't think you need to replace it.
-------------
.......... How about those 8" long bolts that Eckler's advertises to lower ride height up to 3.5"? Are they necessary? Could I find them at my local hardware store for less money?

You might check the archives for tire clearance issues when lowering your car. The bolts can be changed rather easily, so you might save that for later - you might like the stock ride height.

In any case those bolts are Grade 8, this is not a place where you want cheap bolts. You can probably find grade 8 bolts, of the proper length, locally after a bit of a search. The chasing around might not be worth the $ saved. The local Caterpillar or other heavy equipment dealer is often a good source for high quality bolts.

------------------

Gas tank stuff. Is all I need the tank, "sock", strap, and anti-squeak pad?

I don't know how the gas pickup is configured in a 1969. On my 1980, the gas gauge sending unit and the gas line ("sock") are together. To change the "sock" you have to remove the sending unit - this requires replacement of the neoprene gasket that seals the sending unit to the tank. You probably need some gasket when you replace the "sock".

Is there a problem with the tank straps on your car? Unless they have a lot of rust, there probably isn't a need to replace them.

----------------------------
........... shocks? ...........

The archives probably have lots of threads pro and con. Does your car have a composite spring? This will make a difference on your choice of shocks.

-----------------

.... I bought it to drive .......... :cheers:
Old 01-28-2003, 03:05 AM
1969Vette383
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Parts check please?

Sorry, that's my error: Yahoo uses the words "Full Size" displayed as linked text in the upper right of the screen once you open the .jpg file, I hope that helps. Thanks for the advice on everything else.
Old 01-28-2003, 03:33 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Re: Parts check please? (1969Vette350)

1969Vette350,

You might give Eckler's a call as to what all is included with the rear spring kit. The TRW rear springs, for example Eckler's PN A7131, comes complete with a mounting kit that includes bolts, cushions, nuts, washers, etc.

I am not sure you need some of those parts on your list. They may be included with the spring you are ordering.
Old 01-28-2003, 05:28 PM
Mack
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Parts check please? (mapman)

I can't "Enlarge" the picture, but I do have a comment. If you're buying a plastic spring, there are shocks that are made for use with the plastic spring. I got mine from Mid-America and I think they had 2 or 3 shocks that they recommended for that service. I bought KYB's and they've worked fine.

Get notified of new replies

To Parts check please?

Quick Reply: Parts check please?