C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arrgh...wipers stopped working!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 01:31 AM
sammyb
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Arrgh...wipers stopped working!

I bumped the switch the other day while I was driving my '69, and the wiper door swung open, and then nothing.... I played with the switch, but the wipers wouldn't start.

Didn't have a chance to fiddle with them, but do the wipers have a habit of getting stuck, or is it likely that my wiper motor is out? I don't think I've even looked to locate the wiper motor before, but I'm assuming that it's under the wiper door somewhere, hard to get at?

One of these days, I'm going to have to actually buy a shop manual, but the forum gives clearer answers than a book :)

Thanks,
Sam
Old 01-28-2003, 05:38 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Arrgh...wipers stopped working! (sammyb)

Here's how that works. When the door opens, a link from the actuating canister is supposed to close a switch thus allowing the wipers to work only after the door opens. This switch will have two fairly large red and white striped wires going to it. make sure the switch is being depressed and the wires are still connected. If that is ok, then, since your door opened, you can eliminate the interior switch and solenoid. Also there is a large plastic know directly under the steering column that will stop the wipers at any point so you can change blades. Check the position and wiring there too. After that the next thing would be the motor itself. Lots to check but the system it self is fairly simple.

[Modified by silvervetteman, 5:40 AM 1/28/2003]
Old 01-28-2003, 08:13 AM
MYBLU71
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, check the **** under the steering column and the limit switch in the engine compartment on the firewall. The plunger should be pressing the switch in completely. Good Luck :cool:
Old 01-28-2003, 10:49 AM
sammyb
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Arrgh...wipers stopped working! (MYBLU71)

I'll check the switch/**** under the steering column. Y'know I was under there doing something about two weeks ago...I probably bumped the switch! God wouldn't I feel stupid. (But by now, y'all know I'm great at asking stupid questions, because I've done something stupid.)

Thankfully, I at least am good at finding great deals on Corvettes, so I have some use on this forum :)

Thanks everyone! I'll report back.
Old 01-28-2003, 05:17 PM
Black Magic
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for this post NOW!!! Last week I had the exact same problem! I couldn't figure it out what it was, even took it to a "Corvette Friendly" shop to have them tell me my motor was bad. They wanted to order one and install it, but I just paid the $100 diagnostic bill. :mad :mad :mad

As soon as I read this post I went and adjusted the **** and Voila!! Windshield wipers again!

Well anyway, thanks for helping me out. Now I don't have to replace anything! :hurray:
Old 01-29-2003, 02:10 AM
sammyb
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Arrgh...wipers stopped working! (Black Magic)

Black Magic and I are both happy campers...yup the **** worked....never knew what that was for...but now I know. (My '73 didn't have the ****!)

Thanks guys...even the washer works :)

And now I know!!!
Old 01-29-2003, 05:56 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The little **** on the left opens the headlights, the one on the right opens the wiper door. The **** in the center stops the wiper it transit.. ONLY leave them stopped with this **** long enough to change the blades otherwise the wiper motor still has power and will run the battery down. :hurray:

Get notified of new replies

To Arrgh...wipers stopped working!

Quick Reply: Arrgh...wipers stopped working!