C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedo & Tach lense replacement ?s

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 01:27 AM
sammyb
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Speedo & Tach lense replacement ?s

I'm going to swap the speedo and tach lenses this weekend on my '69 (goofball previous owner got clear coat on them!)

I was looking, and is the only way to get at the lenses to remove the whole dang dashboard? It almost looks like I have to bring out the center console too...Someone tell me that there's an easier way!?!?!

Thanks,
Sam
Old 01-29-2003, 02:12 AM
sammyb
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Speedo & Tach lense replacement ?s (sammyb)

ttt
Old 01-29-2003, 05:52 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Unfortunately, I don't know another way, Sam. The dash has to come out. I suppose you could loosen everything and pull the tach and speedo out from the back to get to the lenses, but this would be awfully tough, if not impossible. :) Chuck
Old 01-29-2003, 08:26 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to say Sam...your stuck pulling the whole mess. I just did this and it's going to take time, effort, cussing and alchohol. My suggestion is to pull the seats first. Makes it easy to lay under the dash to disconnect all that mess back there. Pulling the steering wheel helps much, but is not necessary. Label every vacumm hose and connection as you disconnect it too. Once the dash is out...it would be a good time to replace all the dash bulbs, and clean up the tach/speedo bezels. I used lintless cloth to wash the lenses before install. Don't want fuzzies on the inside after it's back together.
Good Luck....you'll need it
Eddie

Get notified of new replies

To Speedo & Tach lense replacement ?s

Quick Reply: Speedo & Tach lense replacement ?s