C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just read something interesting in "Cars & Parts, Corvette"...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 07:45 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Just read something interesting in "Cars & Parts, Corvette"...

Page 41, by Noland Adams:

The term "Matching Numbers" is misleading & misunderstood, because most folks think in terms of engine numbers, generator (and alternator) numbers, head numbers, distributor numbers, etc. A corvette can be pieced together from extra parts to appear original, and then it's advertised as "matching numbers." However, the only "matching numbers" that really matter from a legal standpoint is the fram number, the number on the VIN plate, and the number on the documentation. If they don't match, you have a serious problem. The answer is to pass up a Corvette with improper title or documentation problems.

So does this mean you can still say your Vette has matching numbers when only the frame number & the VIN match??? :confused: If so I think I'm matching numbers! :hurray: :lolg:

BTW, where is the frame number located??
Old 01-27-2003, 07:53 PM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Just read something interesting in "Cars & Parts, Corvette"... (1970 Stingray)

rear wheel well someplace isnt it?

[Modified by '79ProwlerOrange, 5:54 PM 1/27/2003]
Old 01-27-2003, 08:01 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 510 Likes on 310 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Default Re: Just read something interesting in "Cars & Parts, Corvette"... (1970 Stingray)

I think he wasn't too clear on this one. From the time I got involved with Vettes, Numbers matching meant that it had all it's production parts, their numbers and the frame and vin match and plus the engine all had the numbers still on the car from when it was first built. That takes into acount the alternator, starter, carb and the distributor ! :crazy:
Old 01-27-2003, 08:05 PM
Clink69
Drifting

Where exactly is the frame number?

Chris :flag
Old 01-27-2003, 08:12 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Just read something interesting in "Cars & Parts, Corvette"... (Clink69)

Where exactly is the frame number?

Chris :flag
Uh-oh, now everyone will be looking for their frame number---I don't have clue.

But it reminds me of an old joke:
The second sign of senitlity is hairy knuckles, the first sign of senility is LOOKING for them! :lolg:

[Modified by 1970 Stingray, 8:13 PM 1/27/2003]
Old 01-27-2003, 09:14 PM
GWilliam
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my 68 the serial number is on top of the frame rail, drivers side
just aft of the crossmember.

Only visible to those who have their body off like mine right now.

I'm wondering if they put it there to hide it and if its in the same place
on most C3's

Old 01-27-2003, 10:40 PM
R1234
Melting Slicks

I found my 68 frame vin number on the topside of driverside where the frame kicks up over the rear wheel. I had to do some surface sanding to find it.

[Modified by 68rdstr, 9:41 PM 1/27/2003]
Old 01-27-2003, 10:50 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Yes, The term "matching numbers" has been used and abused so much that it is now just about meaningless! You can SAY your car is matching numbers if the vin behind your windshield matches the vin on your title. At best, the term "matching numbers" simply means that parts have the same numbers and dates that the car could have had when it came from the factory. That definition says NOTHING about originality. A "matching numbers" engine could be a replacement engine. In fact, an "all numbers match" car could be a clone. It would still be "numbers matching". Also, when people throw around the term "matching numbers" they rarely specify to what extent the car has these precious matching number pieces. Except when they use the expression, "All numbers match". That's when I raise my eyebrows and say, "Oh really? ALL numbers?" :lol: MJ

[Modified by MNJack, 10:53 PM 1/27/2003]
Old 01-27-2003, 10:51 PM
Solidlifters
Pro

The frame number is generally on the top of the left frame rail somewhere near the tire. It can sometimes be read with a mirror and light if the frame is cleaned in this area with a small wire toothbrush.

When C & P Corvette Magazine ran a how to article, advocating repairing a large crack in a press moulded fiberglass body panel with sheetrock tape and body filler, using no re enforcement on the outside, the destroyed all credibility in my opinion.

Reading Noland's comments carefully, the key phrase is "from a legal standpoint". I think he's trying to emphasize the importance of making sure the title and vin number match. We've probably all been guilty of buying cars without checking the number on the chassis, but there's no question that if one got checked and the frame turned up as a stolen VIN #, it'd be a mess, even if the Vin on the body matched the title.

I've also begun to think the term "matching numbers" is almost worthless. To many of the horses peddling used Corvettes now, it means nothing more than the pad has had the car's Vin # stamped in it at some point by somebody. It used to mean that the car had the original motor, but it's become little more than smoke and mirrors to enhance the value.

[Modified by Solidlifters, 3:59 AM 1/28/2003]
Old 01-27-2003, 11:07 PM
GWilliam
Advanced

Default Re: Just read something interesting in "Cars & Parts, Corvette"... (68rdstr)

Yes, I thought I saw it in 2 places!!!

On my 68 I have the vin number on top of the left rail where it goes up over
the wheel AND the hidden location on top of the left rail at about mid door.

Great news cause when I sell my numbers matching vette I won't have to
raise the body to expose the frame number to the skeptic, just use the
mirror trick at the rear should work!!!
Old 01-27-2003, 11:08 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Just read something interesting in "Cars & Parts, Corvette"... (Solidlifters)

When C & P Corvette Magazine ran a how to article, advocating repairing a large crack in a press moulded fiberglass body panel with sheetrock tape and body filler, using no re enforcement on the outside, the destroyed all credibility in my opinion.
SAY WHAT???? You gotta be kidding! Which issue was this in!
Old 01-27-2003, 11:22 PM
tippi58
Racer

Default Re: Just read something interesting in "Cars & Parts, Corvette"... (Solidlifters)

I agree with solid lifters. I think he has hit the nail on the head.:iagree:

Matching numbers from a legal standpoint as opposed to a corvette restorers
view :chevy

:cool: :cool: :cool:
Old 01-27-2003, 11:44 PM
Solidlifters
Pro

Default Re: Just read something interesting in "Cars & Parts, Corvette"... (Smokehouse69)

Smoke, there was some chatter about it on here about a month ago. I E-mailed the editor and told him that in almost 40 years of reading car books it was absolutely, by far the worst, most ill advised, how to article I'd ever seen and thought it made a laughing stock of the magazine. I got a response back that basically said the repair was an acceptable alternative to fiberglass and just because it wasn't conventional it wasn't inappropriate or defective. (sounded a lot like that alternative lifestyle argument from SanFrancisco to me) He went on to say that the fiberglass mesh sheetrock tape was developed in the marine industry and had been used to repair expensive boats and yatchs for years. I wrote back that I'd been fooling with fast boats from the time I was 10 until present and that I've never heard of anybody using fiberglass mesh tape and polyester body filler (Bondo) to fix a structural repair. His other reply was equally as weak, and basically displayed a total lack of knowledge of acceptable fiberglass repair proceedures.

The crazy thing about this article was that there was no reinforcement in the outside of the repair, so the crack which was just skimmed over with Bondo on the outside is sure to show itself through the paint.

Get notified of new replies

To Just read something interesting in "Cars & Parts, Corvette"...

Quick Reply: Just read something interesting in "Cars & Parts, Corvette"...