C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B__tard U-joints?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 03:01 PM
1969Vette383
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default B__tard U-joints?

Hello everyone, I am replacing my aged clutch to the Centerforce II and have gotten that far in the project. While myself and my friends were looking at reinstalling everything aft of the transmission, we stumbled across the U-joints and decided to replace them. The U-joint on the rear of the driveshaft is great, it's a square, but why would the U-joint on the output shaft of the transmission be of a more rectangular shape? By rectangular I mean that if you hold it up with the end caps on, two sides are visually longer than the other two sides. Is this a Corvette thing? Is my driveshaft wrong for the car?

I am glad I'm replacing my U-joints because my bearings inside the old joints were grinding into the unit itself causing scoring, and some bearings were missing (they came apart missing, we didn't drop any). So this puts a damper on my repair work, what would anyone here suggest?
Old 01-27-2003, 03:13 PM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Default Re: B__tard U-joints? (1969Vette350)

That doesn't sound original to me. I just replaced my U-joints and although I didn't measure them, they seemed square. Maybe your yoke was replaced at some point?
Old 01-27-2003, 05:28 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: B__tard U-joints? (tshort)

thats a special joint used to correct a mis-match between the driveshaft and yoke. Im currently using one od those on Blazer that was converted from 10 bolt rear to 12 bolt rear. I replaced it recently. Pep Boys auto parts cross referenced the casting # and gave me Naepco Inc. PN: 3-3130
Old 01-27-2003, 06:09 PM
wayne_69_427
Pro

Default Re: B__tard U-joints? (1969Vette350)

The front and rear take the same u joint so they should both be square, I change my in August and I don't remember anything Strange looking like that. :thumbs:
Old 01-27-2003, 07:30 PM
1969Vette383
Burning Brakes

Default Re: B__tard U-joints?

Thanks guys. So aluminum or carbon fiber driveshaft? :lol: :eek: I want to change my driveshaft, but for right now I'd be happy with stock parts that match up. What am I looking at, price wise for new stock? Used stock? New/old aluminum or new/old carbon fiber?

Get notified of new replies

To B__tard U-joints?

Quick Reply: B__tard U-joints?