C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who to buy rear calipers from?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 01:03 PM
71-4speed
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who to buy rear calipers from?

Yesterday I discovered brake fluid all over my '71 vette's rear tire and caliper. We know what that means! Could ya'll recommend a vender to purchase quality replacement brake calipers from? Thanks.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:12 PM
Lt1er
Drifting

Default Re: Who to buy rear calipers from? (71-4speed)

I've bought them from Vette Brakes & products and also the local Napa dealer

Spend the extra few bucks and get the Stainless steel sleeved with O-rings. the calipers about $100 each with your core.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:20 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1)Vette Brakes and Products (VBP) go with the O-ring calipers.

2)Precision Engineering - Wellington, Florida. Zero Tolerance O-ring piston calipers (Caliper2000). *Stay away from the Delray, Florida Caliper 2000 business, Heard alot of bad about this group and theu are not associated to the Wellington company.

3)Buy Autozone stainless steel sleeved calipers with OEM seals and buy the VBP O-ring conversion kit.

4)Muskegon Brakes I have heard have really good quality and service if you want OEM seals.

Personally I would go with O-ring pistons. They will stand up job much longer than OEM seals. Im doing brakes in the spring so Im keeping up on this subject.

Im also going with stainless braided flex hoses from ZIP-really good deal recently $55 set of 4.

Also these aren't in any order of preference.

Brent.......
Old 01-27-2003, 01:32 PM
Ryan77
Drifting

If you want to get a nice set of brakes there are plenty of vendors to buy from. Vette Brakes, SSBC, Wilwood, Baer, the list goes on. The two that seem to provide the most bang for the buck are the ones from Vette Brakes and SSBC, the other two are very expensive :yesnod: . Vette Brakes has individual calipers for $90 +$50 core charge, which is refundable if you send them your old caliper(s). You should always replace calipers in pairs (front or rear), or you can get uneven braking or pulling to one side. If one caliper went bad though, then the rest aren't far behind. So, I would recommend getting a complete car kit with the stainless steel braided hoses, and possibly a set of rotors if your old ones are worn, if not just have them resurfaced by a local brake shop. SSBC is where I bought mine, I got 4 stainless calipers and stainless steel braided hoses for $500 + $200 refundable core charge. Vette Brakes has complete car kits that range from $389 to $525 depending on what you want, but they all have 4 calipers, 4 rubber hoses, rear lines, and brake pads, some even have a new master cylinder. I would atleats get the kit that has the O-ring calipers though. Check out their website at http://www.vettebrakes.com or http://www.stainlesssteelbrakes.com , If your still not sure which is right for you call the tech department. Hope this helps, good luck :cheers:

[Modified by Ryan77, 1:36 PM 1/27/2003]

[Modified by Ryan77, 1:37 PM 1/27/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Who to buy rear calipers from?

Quick Reply: Who to buy rear calipers from?