C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automotive tools

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 12:35 PM
Teuffelhunde
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automotive tools

I know it's specific to Corvette but, does anyolne know how to use a tap and die set?? :confused:
Old 01-27-2003, 12:44 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Automotive tools (Teuffelhunde)

If its a hole, use the tap.... if its a bolt or rod, use the die :hat

ahead 1/4 back an 1/8 to cut the kerf...... lubricate frequently. Thats what I was taught when cutting new threads. and make sure the damn thing is on straight.... my teacher wasn't to personable

[Modified by MikeC, 12:45 PM 1/27/2003]
Old 01-27-2003, 12:49 PM
Mack
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Automotive tools (MikeC)

If I'm re-using old bolts/nuts, then I usually chase the threads. Chasing old threads, I go ahead one, back 1/2.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:07 PM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Re: Automotive tools (MikeC)

... ahead 1/4 back an 1/8 to cut the kerf...... lubricate frequently. Thats what I was taught when cutting new threads. and make sure the damn thing is on straight....
:iagree:

Make sure you have a set of metric and a set of standard thread pitch gauges so you know for sure what threads you are dealing with. My 1980 has lots of metric and standard nuts/bolts that look very similar to one another.

Use pipe cutting oil as the lubricant, most any hardware store/Lowes/Home Depot will have it. Make sure the drill you use for the initial hold is the proper size.

If you have existing threads that you just need to clean up, then you should consider getting "a thread chasing" tool set. Van Steel sells one that covers most of the suspension nuts and bolts.

You can also make your own thread chasing tools that are useful for cleaning dirt/grease/etc out of nuts/internal threads/etc. Just take the proper size bolt and use a file to cut a groove across the threads on the right half of the bolt. That way as you "tighten" the bolt the sharp edge on the threads removes any debris that may be in the internal threads.

[Modified by mapman, 12:09 PM 1/27/2003]
Old 01-27-2003, 05:22 PM
adamdinat
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

keep it lubricated, clean out the hole frequently. Another tool I have used on with good results is a thread file. It can take the burrs of a starting thread nicely.
Old 01-27-2003, 05:24 PM
adamdinat
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

keep it lubricated, clean out the hole frequently. If you have not used a tap before drill some holes and practice. There is nothing worse than a stuck or broken tap in a critical part. Another tool I have used on with good results is a thread file. It can take the burrs of a starting thread nicely.

Get notified of new replies

To Automotive tools

Quick Reply: Automotive tools