C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wow!! Cadillac built a really cool 2 seater sports car!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 01:24 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Wow!! Cadillac built a really cool 2 seater sports car!!!

It'd deja vu all over again!!! :lol:

Old 01-27-2003, 01:26 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

ok, so I was aiming for Off Topic, but its late! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: MJ
Old 01-27-2003, 02:02 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Re: Wow!! Cadillac built a really cool 2 seater sports car!!! (MNJack)

MNJack,

Not really a sports car, but I enjoyed the one I had. Because of the low production volume, a total of around 20,000 cars built from 1987-93, parts are expensive. Many of the cars systems were state-of-the-art at that time and hence there is not a lot of interchangeability with other GM products.

If you are the first owner, then the company supports you under warranty. Later owners are faced with parts shortages - GM no longer supports the Allante, as it is 10 years out of production.

The HUGE advantage Corvette has over most HP/exotic cars is an adaquate production quantity that allows a parts and services aftermarket to thrive. For example, a power brake unit for an Allante is about $4500 - this does not include installation. Compare that with the price of a C3 PB Booster and Master Cylinder.

The new 2 seat Cadillac may be better supported as it is rumored to share many components with the C6.

The 1993 Allante is the best year as most of the production problems were resolved and the car came with a 300 HP North Star V-8. :yesnod:
Old 01-27-2003, 07:56 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Wow!! Cadillac built a really cool 2 seater sports car!!! (mapman)

From what I hear the new 2 seater Cad. is built right along side the Corvette on the same assembly line. It shares the same platform as the Vette. It will be powered by a Northstar engine but many components are shared between the two.

[Modified by Gordonm, 7:57 AM 1/27/2003]
Old 01-27-2003, 08:21 AM
Gary79
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Wow!! Cadillac built a really cool 2 seater sports car!!! (Gordonm)

i heard what GordonM said, the "black metal" will be the same; the engines, trannys and bodies will be different. the caddy will have the northstar and auto trans, whereas the vette will have about the same engine and drivetrain combos it has now in the C5. it'll be out june of 2004, and will be called a 2005 model.
Old 01-27-2003, 08:35 AM
BigBlockVette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I hear the new 2 seater Cad. is built right along side the Corvette on the same assembly line. It shares the same platform as the Vette. It will be powered by a Northstar engine but many components are shared between the two.
The XLR is :cool:

Dwayne
Old 01-27-2003, 08:38 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

From what I hear the new 2 seater Cad. is built right along side the Corvette on the same assembly line.
Built at the same plant but on different assembly lines.

tom...
Old 01-27-2003, 09:15 AM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Wow!! Cadillac built a really cool 2 seater sports car!!! (Tom73)

Hey, if it helps GM stay in business and keep the Bowling Green plant open, it's OK by me.

And yes, the XLR is :cool: A good competitor against the Mercedes SL...
Old 01-27-2003, 11:00 AM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: Wow!! Cadillac built a really cool 2 seater sports car!!! (Tom73)

I'll be the most curious on the numbers of sales of the C5(C6)once this Caddy thing sells-I think it'll hurt Corvette sales because "higher" income people that want an American two seater roadster(the ones that can afford MORE than a Corvette)WILL definetly buy one of these-yeah, yeah I know people keep saying GM is selling all the C5s it's building. Yes, that may be true, but alot of these "buyers" are Chevy dealers. If there is SO MUCH demand for the C5s, then why are dealer lots full of them, Chevy Corvette Buyer's Guide, Hemming's, etc. There are a few Chevy dealers around here that for some years did'nt even have Corvettes in stock, and now they each have like 4-5 of them. IMHO the car market is flooded with C5s-if you think it is'nt, check out the "C5s For Sale" on this forum and see what you think. :lurk:
Old 01-27-2003, 11:15 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Wow!! Cadillac built a really cool 2 seater sports car!!! (mapman)

The HUGE advantage Corvette has over most HP/exotic cars is an adaquate production quantity that allows a parts and services aftermarket to thrive. For example, a power brake unit for an Allante is about $4500 - this does not include installation. Compare that with the price of a C3 PB Booster and Master Cylinder.
You got that right....I had to replace both of the oil cooler lines on the Ferrari at a list of $810.00 per hose, these being stainless braided metric. No one could make the hoses no one had the correct hose ID, nor the correct banjo fitting. I was happy to find a place that sold the hoses for $405.00 each that included next day air shipping.
Old 01-27-2003, 11:27 AM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: Wow!! Cadillac built a really cool 2 seater sports car!!! (GDaina)

So George-that thing really is a Ferrari :confused: I thought it was a Pontiac Fiero kit car :yesnod:
Juuuuuuuuuust Kiddin' :p:
Old 01-27-2003, 11:54 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Wow!! Cadillac built a really cool 2 seater sports car!!! (Paul Borowski)

So George-that thing really is a Ferrari :confused: I thought it was a Pontiac Fiero kit car :yesnod:
Juuuuuuuuuust Kiddin' :p:
:lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg:

Paul, whadda ya say we hi-jack this thread mfrom Mark and talk about the Fiero I got....what a P.O.S.
Old 01-27-2003, 12:35 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Default Re: Wow!! Cadillac built a really cool 2 seater sports car!!! (Paul Borowski)

I'll be the most curious on the numbers of sales of the C5(C6)once this Caddy thing sells-I think it'll hurt Corvette sales because "higher" income people that want an American two seater roadster(the ones that can afford MORE than a Corvette)WILL definetly buy one of these-yeah, yeah I know people keep saying GM is selling all the C5s it's building. Yes, that may be true, but alot of these "buyers" are Chevy dealers. If there is SO MUCH demand for the C5s, then why are dealer lots full of them, Chevy Corvette Buyer's Guide, Hemming's, etc. There are a few Chevy dealers around here that for some years did'nt even have Corvettes in stock, and now they each have like 4-5 of them. IMHO the car market is flooded with C5s-if you think it is'nt, check out the "C5s For Sale" on this forum and see what you think.
Paul, I agree. The C5 has reached the point where most who wants one has one. If they hadn't then there would not be any leftover stock or factory rebates on them. Also agree that the XLR will hurt the Corvette sales somewhat. The C5 is such a good car that it is attracting a group that are not Corvette people. Some who have no idea what a Corvette is all about. Those that having trunk space for two sets of golf clubs is important. Those that only drive to the country club and back. I feel that those people will go for the XLR over the Vette. So the XLR will eat into Corvette sales with "that group". Also, "that group" are not the ones that buy the Z06. Now we can get on with the true Vette heritage.

tom...
Old 01-27-2003, 12:48 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

paul, i agree to an extent. although it just about makes me sick to think of the corvette as sharing that much with another brand, i do like the idea of the more well-to-do, clean-fingernail, having a mid-life crisis types having another choice. before some of you get all :mad at me let me state that i'm talking about those that run their cars through the automatic car wash and hand the keys to the valet--that type. you know, the ones that couldn't point out a spark plug if it bit them. don't get me wrong, i'd like to be in their position at some point in the future but i'll never retire my tool box :yesnod:
maybe this is an opportunity for the corvette to get back to it's roots and really offer that budget model they were talking about 10 years ago. especially with the demise of the f-body. right now, $50k is more than what i can sell the wife on. but for $10k off the top, yeah, i'll take manually adjustable cloth seats and roll-up windows. especially if it's lighter.
o.k. offended guys, fire away! :cheers:
Old 01-27-2003, 01:04 PM
dreamn2
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Wow!! Cadillac built a really cool 2 seater sports car!!! (MNJack)

The one thing I think will keep the 2 separated is price. The Caddy is supposed to be around 75k-80k. That's quite a difference. It's sharp but the crest wouldn't be worth another 25K to me. :crazy:
Old 01-27-2003, 05:10 PM
Robert8096
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Wow!! Cadillac built a really cool 2 seater sports car!!! (dreamn2)

Expensive parts are not only on the Caddy and Ferrari . I just went looking for an oil pump for a Mazda B2000 pickup and that thing was 210.00 bucks.
Don't rag me about the Mazda someone gave it to me . Runs, looks good and will make a good parts hauler.
Old 01-27-2003, 05:13 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Default Re: Wow!! Cadillac built a really cool 2 seater sports car!!! (page62)

Hey, if it helps GM stay in business and keep the Bowling Green plant open, it's OK by me.

And yes, the XLR is :cool: A good competitor against the Mercedes SL...
:iagree:

Get notified of new replies

To Wow!! Cadillac built a really cool 2 seater sports car!!!

Quick Reply: Wow!! Cadillac built a really cool 2 seater sports car!!!