C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68 Headlight electrical issues? They are shorting out!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2003, 05:03 PM
rparkervette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 68 Headlight electrical issues? They are shorting out!

I recently replaced all four bulbs to get a little better night vision. They are higher watt bulbs than the standard. The connectors had corrosion on them. I of course tried to clean off as much as I could. On Low beam they work great. When switching to high beam (all four light up) they will work for a minute, then all the headlights and tail lights start flashing like they are shorting out. I replaced the high/low switch thinking it was the culprit, but I was wrong. Has anyone had this problem when switching to higher watt bulbs. I'm wondering if it is a ground issue? Thanks for your help
Old 01-26-2003, 05:23 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 68 Headlight electrical issues? They are shorting out! (rparkervette)

The headlight switch has a thermal circuit breaker that automatically resets.. That is most likely being overloaded. Yes it could be a poor ground as that will cause higher resistsnce in the circuit. Maybe other will offer more help.
Old 01-27-2003, 12:22 PM
BB68Vett
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: 68 Headlight electrical issues? They are shorting out! (rparkervette)

I am not an electrical expert but I would think that if you put in higher wattage bulbs then when you go to high beams you are drawing too much current. Are you blowing fuses? If so, it is proabble your wattages are too high, especially if they were working correctly just befroe you replaced the headligts.

Get notified of new replies

To 68 Headlight electrical issues? They are shorting out!

Quick Reply: 68 Headlight electrical issues? They are shorting out!