C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help please! E-brake lever removal for new slide on a "71"

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2003, 03:49 PM
carlmb
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please! E-brake lever removal for new slide on a "71"

In the process of redoing the interior and installing a new parking brake slide. How do I remove the grip handle on the e-brake lever to install the new slide. Thanks in advance, Carl.
Old 01-26-2003, 11:02 PM
Solidlifters
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Help please! E-brake lever removal for new slide on a "71" (carlmb)

I'm posting this assuming it's the same as a 70, so if it's not, disregard all this. (Actually my 67 was the most recent I've done and my memory is from it) The lever doesn't get removed to replace the slide. Remove the cover itself..........the armrest for lack of a better term. It's probably got about 4 screws from the sides and may have 2 in from the back. As the cover comes off the slide remains on the handle. The slide itself is split right beside the handle itself so you can work it onto the handle after the old one is removed. Put the new slide on the handle and work the cover back on exactly opposite of the way it came off. The slide is captured in a channel formed by the chrome pot metal trim which is visible and a metal piece underneath. Be sure you thread the new slide back in this channel. With the exception of the side screws being a little difficult it's really an easy job.
Old 01-27-2003, 07:45 AM
MYBLU71
Racer

Carl,

I just replaced my "slide" and did not have to remove the handle. You do however have to be patient when installing the new one as the cover assy tends to be a little of a bear keeping the gasket in the track. Good luck! :thumbs:
Old 01-27-2003, 09:12 AM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Carl, I believe I can help you here. The repro plastic slides do not have the cutout that allows you to slip the slide over the handle. If you look very closely, you can see where there is an indented line (at least on the one I bought). That is a scribe line or the are where you make a simple cut. If you will look at your old slide you will see where this cut goes. If you don't have your original slide, maybe someone can do a digital photo of the slide, showing you where to make the cut.
Gary
Old 01-27-2003, 09:35 AM
Jim69conv
Intermediate

At least on my 69: if you twist the slide, it opens up enough to slip over the handle.
Old 01-27-2003, 10:38 AM
carlmb
Advanced

Default Re: Help please! E-brake lever removal for new slide on a "71" (Jim69conv)

Thanks for the responses. There is no slit cut in the aftermarket slide so it appeared the handle had to come off and there was no existing slide to compare. Thanks again, Carl.

Get notified of new replies

To Help please! E-brake lever removal for new slide on a "71"

Quick Reply: Help please! E-brake lever removal for new slide on a "71"