C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much should i shim my distributor ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2003, 01:10 PM
ukvette72
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much should i shim my distributor ?

My distributor bottoms out on the oil pump drive before the flange makes contact with the inlet manifold...even with the gasket in place.
I have bought some different thickness shims to use between the distributor flange and the inlet manifold. Does anyone know what thickness of shim to use to stop the distributor bottoming out but still mesh properly with the cam gear.

Thanks
David :)
Old 01-26-2003, 01:38 PM
Pete79L82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: How much should i shim my distributor ? (ukvette72)

The process is to stack the shims until the distributor will sit tight on the shims without a gasket. Then use a gasket to give you the additional clearance needed. Be sure to use some sealer on the shims so you don't get an oil leak from in between them.

That being said, are you sure you know why you need shims? Has the heads, block or intake been cut? If work has not been done that would require shimming then you need to look at why the distributor in not sitting down tight. Looking at your signature it looks like you have new heads and intake of which neither would need to be cut. Taking the block down to zero deck would not be enouh to require the distributor to need shimming.

[Modified by Pete79L82, 12:41 PM 1/26/2003]
Old 01-26-2003, 03:22 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Default Re: How much should i shim my distributor ? (ukvette72)

UK,
If I was you I would take the main drive gear off and drop the distributor in and check if the dist. flange hits the intake. Your post sounds like you have the wrong oil pump or the drive rod is too long, this happened to someone in the "engine mods" forum and if I remember correctly he had the wrong pump.
...redvetracr
Old 01-26-2003, 03:26 PM
ukvette72
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How much should i shim my distributor ? (Pete79L82)

Thanks for the reply Peter.
I dont know why my distributor needs shimming...the block has never been decked and the heads and inlet manifold are new and have not been machined.
The only thing i can think of is that i put in a new steel drive shaft between the oil pump and the distributor. (to get rid of the need for that plastic collar) maybe it is slightly over length !!!
Anyway thanks for the help.

David :thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To How much should i shim my distributor ?

Quick Reply: How much should i shim my distributor ?