C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette "Deals of the Century"

Old 01-26-2003, 01:04 PM
MoMo
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Corvette "Deals of the Century"

Two friends of mine just went in together on a 1978 Corvette Pace Car for $3500. All it had wrong with it is a spun bearing, and they yanked the engine and it's in the machine shop now. I expected a basket case POS for that price, so I went to take a look at this thing for myself. I"M SO JEALOUS!!!
That car is friggin beautiful. There's NOTHING wrong with it!!!
They're gonna rebuild the motor and sell it for a profit.

Man, if I found a deal like that, I'd pull the TPI 355 out of my IROC and stick it in that thing and daily drive it forever. Paint's good, fiberglass is good, leather seats and interior are good, just a stupid ole engine knock, and that's getting fixed. Jeeze.

Even though car prices have tended to be a little over-inflated in the Denver area, I do occaisionally run across really good Corvette deals. Especially on big block early C3's. I have seen pristine 1969 big blocks go for the 14 grand range here, and I know their value is a lot higher. There was a red one with beige interior that I seriously drooled over, like that, and my small block 68 basket case almost had cost that much a year earlier.

There was one other good deal on a Corvette here that I'd seen recently. I don't remember the year, but it was a black ZR1 C4 Corvette going for 16 grand. Those things you can't typically touch for under 25 grand.

So if you're on the market for a good Corvette, keep looking. Believe it or not, deals like that are out there.
Old 01-26-2003, 02:00 PM
PROSOUTH
Drifting

Location: Manchester, Dead Center in the Middle of TN 25 miles to Jack Daniels,10 miles to Geo Dickle, and .8 mile from the Liquor Store at I-24 Exit 114
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Corvette "Deals of the Century" (MoMo)

Daily Drivers:
'02 Pontiac Grand Am GT1, 86 IROC-Z Camaro (355 TPI)
Other backburner projects:
86 Shelby Charger with a Lotus headed 2.2 Turbo III engine
Someday would like to build a roots-blown 406 SBC in a late-30's Studebaker truck painted pearl white with pearl red flames.

MoMo have you seen the S-10 conversion to a '39 Studebaker truck? it is KILLER! You might consider this for your truck.

I have a good friend that is finishing up a '55 Stude' at this time. Sounds a whole lot like your dream with the 406 and all but his is a custom mix orange that is beautiful. I'll send you a pic' sometime.

Talking about the '39 Stude' Truck. I had one for a brief time about 20 years ago. It was a perfect body, except for the right rear fender. It was damaged beyond repair. I found a donar truck through a friend at a remote junkyard and called the Guy. "Yeah, I got one, com'on down and get it for $ but you'll have to take it off."

I got the tool box and went down to the guys place some distance away. He told me that the truck was way back in the back and it had rained so we couldn't drive back there in the swampy area it was in. So I carry this 50 or 60# tool box all of the way back there and guess what? The right rear fender was tore up worse than mine! PO'ed was not the word for it. :mad :mad

Well, I drug the tool box all the way back and was about to give this guy the cussin' he deserved when he says" Where's the fender?" I told him it was torn up and I couldn't use it. I had calmned down some and wrote it off that the Guy had just made a mistake. Then he tells me" You did know that the front and rear fender were the same didn't you?" I said "No I didn't" I went back down to the truck and sure enough after looking at it the front and rear fender they were identical. The front surround panel was between the fender and the hood, and the outside fender was the same front and back. 1939 and Studebaker was years ahead in design and parts usage. LOL I wish I had that truck back. JIM :)
Old 01-26-2003, 02:12 PM
greatgonzoglenn
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Corvette "Deals of the Century" (MoMo)

MoMo, don't fret, look at it this way, at least when you are done, it will be exactly the way YOU want it. I got my '80 for $4000 and all it needed was interior work. I drove mine home and into the garage it went. I also have an '80 Z-28 that is my daily driver so that gives me the ability to do what I want to the Vette without being rushed. I'm going to take my time and do it RIGHT and MY way. :flag

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette "Deals of the Century"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Corvette "Deals of the Century"