C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dart Valve covers came with no breather holes...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2003, 12:45 AM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Dart Valve covers came with no breather holes...

I never noticed it until tonight as I am still a bit away from finishing this project. Considering that I am not going back with any of the stock air cleaner equipment that once fitted one of those breather tubes from the passenger side valve cover, what should I do? I am convinced to go with the K&N X-treme breather set-up.... maybe K&N elements on the rear side of each valve cover? If anyone has any pix of their set-ups it would be appreciated.

Old 01-26-2003, 01:33 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,330 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Default Re: Dart Valve covers came with no breather holes... (bgrice)

Your in custom territory. I used a hole saw to put a air cleaner base breather vent on the drivers side. which doubles as the place to add oil. On the passenger rear inner side i drilled a hole for a standard straight PVC and ran the 3/8 hose to the brass fitting out of the back of my Single plane just under the rear of the carb. The Carb 3/8 vacuum hole just above it I have running to the Power Brakes.

I hope you know I just had to pop the hood and get up on a ladder to take a bunch of down angle shots! Notice my foot with just white sock on standing on the fire wall

:)

[Modified by gkull, 1:02 AM 1/26/2003]
Old 01-26-2003, 01:52 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Default Re: Dart Valve covers came with no breather holes... (gkull)

In case you didn't know. Just double click on the above picture and it will enlarge it. The resolution on the forum is low and my flash isn't the best with garage lights on. That's the best idea I could come up with. I had K&N filter breathers on my last motor. But the idea of carb air filter base makes sense. If your at WOT you have no or very little PVC vacuum. Inside the air filter there might be a little. Everything is custom. I had to cut a hole in the air cleaner base and weld up 1/2 inch 90 degree to fit the breather hose to.

The other thing I looked up which starter I have in the Summit Cat. I was wrong in your other post. I just remembered that it had a '"P" Powermaster mini starter. Not ProTorque
Old 01-26-2003, 01:54 AM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

gkull....

Thanks for going out of your way to take pictures of your set-up. What was the hole size(if you can remember) that you drilled into the Dart valve covers & grommet you used?

I saved the pic you posted by the way so I can use it for reference.
Old 01-26-2003, 01:55 AM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Nice foot!
Old 01-26-2003, 02:01 AM
gkull
Team Owner

It's been nearly two years ago! I just bought the two pieces with the gromits and figured out what hole size i needed.

Why did you need the super tall covers?
Old 01-26-2003, 02:13 AM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

gkull...

I realize that the Dart Head Valve Covers are set for roller rocker clearance, but I am running 1.6:1 rockers, so I was not going back with the corvette valve covers. I have dart heads on the new motor, so why not?

If I can ask you another question... I am running a single plane Weiand intake with a 750 carb. The pic in this thread is with a 1" spacer. Can I get away with that spacer underneath the stock '74 hood? Plans are again to go with the drop base 2 3/4" K&N X-treme set-up. Or should I look at a 1/2" spacer?

Thanks for your info.
Old 01-26-2003, 09:52 AM
gkull
Team Owner

I don't know anything about different year hood clearances. But I would say, "No it won't clear."

When you install the motor. Use good mounts like energy suspension for about $70 from summit. Then what I did was to shim the tranny higher in the back to center the mech fan in the factory shroud. The closest point of contact with the air cleaner and hood is the front edge.

I used playdoe years ago and shut the hood really slow. I use a piece of allthread cut to the short length I need for the air lid nut. I originally made my own dropped base are cleaner because I don't think they made them yet.
Old 01-26-2003, 01:31 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

You don't mention a PCV valve, I would sure run one on a street motor.
Another option with aftermarket covers is to use a lifter valley baffle and run the pcv valve in the intake(see pic) and use breathers in the covers or a hose to the air cleaner base.
I've done this with my last two manifolds and it works well :cheers:
Old 01-26-2003, 10:19 PM
INTIMIDATOR ZO6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Dart Valve covers came with no breather holes... (yellow 72)

:seeya gkull and yellow 72, very nice install and pics... just love to see custom engine bays! :cool: :yesnod: :grouphug:
Old 01-26-2003, 11:07 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Default Re: Dart Valve covers came with no breather holes... (Intimidator454)

I pulled of my 17.5 inch Stainless Steel 10,000 rpm fan today to save a little more hp for the up coming road racing event. I found out that the stock 79 switched shroud fan isn't up to the task alone. So I'm running down to and getting a pusher also. I thought that a BeKool aluminum rated for 600 ci and 1000 hp would be enough.

Thanks 454! Under my hood is really gutted of everthing to save weight.

It's a race car not a show car. I was pretty hard on it. Mostly freeway and mountian roads all strapped in with a helmet and i saw nearly 215 deg. and it was in the mid 60's

this pic was stopped along the road back from Mount Rushmore this last June. Do you see old George's profile face on the mountian?

[Modified by gkull, 10:20 PM 1/26/2003]

[Modified by gkull, 10:23 PM 1/26/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Dart Valve covers came with no breather holes...

Quick Reply: Dart Valve covers came with no breather holes...